Thread: fox barking

Default fox barking

I am new to predator hunting in this great state. I have lived here ten years and finally decided to try my luck. I have hunted predators in Montana where I grew up. My style of hunting there was to drive until I saw one and then shoot it. I have become more interested in calling. I was at Eureka last weekend and saw a fox on the Little Nelchina. I got a few shots off with my .17 HMR but no luck. The fox ran a safe distance away up a mountain. I was able to watch him with my binos. I could also hear him bark. He would bark twice, wait a few minutes, bark twice again. He would continue doing that. What does that mean? What is the best resource for me to learn about their behavior and vocalizations? I would appreciate any help all of you could offer.

He/she was probably locating it's mate, it is that time of year for them. Talk to the biologists at adf&g about behavior, they are a good resource and people don't seem to take advantage of their knowledge.

Mike

I just have one question. What were you doing shooting at a fox when they closed Feb 28th?

Quote Originally Posted by akrider View Post
    I am new to predator hunting in this great state. I have lived here ten years and finally decided to try my luck. I have hunted predators in Montana where I grew up. My style of hunting there was to drive until I saw one and then shoot it. I have become more interested in calling. I was at Eureka last weekend and saw a fox on the Little Nelchina. I got a few shots off with my .17 HMR but no luck. The fox ran a safe distance away up a mountain. I was able to watch him with my binos. I could also hear him bark. He would bark twice, wait a few minutes, bark twice again. He would continue doing that. What does that mean? What is the best resource for me to learn about their behavior and vocalizations? I would appreciate any help all of you could offer.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I just have one question. What were you doing shooting at a fox when they closed Feb 28th?
    Unless he is throwing a #2 coil spring at him, I'd bet top $$$ he is safe using his hunting license which allows him 10 fox in the area up to March 15 th (Today)

In the future it might be nice to send the guy a PM stating you think he violated the rules, instead of putting him on front street so to speak.

Rider, I'm not sure of the fox lingo at what it means, but in my past calling experiences they have always barked at me if they busted me. Not sure this is the case with yours.

Well WaterWolf it might be nice if you would heed your own advice.

My apologies akrider, 9 times out of 10 the hunting season follows the trapping season. It'll do me some good to read the regs.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default thanks

Easy folks, I'm thick skinned and I know I did nothing wrong, except for not spending enough time at the range with my rifle. I know that reading the regs is a bit confusing sometimes and that the Troopers would take my toys if I was caught doing something illegal so I pay pretty close attention to them. I took no offense to your public posting Huntress. I would be the first to admit if I was wrong. Waterwolf, no sure what you mean by "busted me," but he knew my ugly mug was shooting at him.
    It would make sense that the season closes just as they start to mate, perhaps thats what it was doing. I will do more research, maybe even to to F&G.

What I mean by busted is, he/she is barking at me because they know I'm there. You throwing bullets at for sure would let it know ya was there too, but you can't discredit that it might be communicating with another fox also.

I'll send ya a PM with a link to a few fellas that may be able to help you a little better.

That barking the fox is doing is warning all the other foxes around that there is danger.

Coyotes are notorious for doing it. If a coyote sees you he will let out warning barks as loud as he can to alert all the other coyotes of your presence.