Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POW Black bears

Default POW Black bears

Hey guys I have a trip planned for this year on POW I been watching the weather up there and its been getting warm are the bears going to be coming out early?? My trip is planned for May 2nd to May 14th??

Default warm ?

Today...Rain and snow showers in the morning...then a slight chance of rain in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. Highs around 39. East wind 10 to 15 mph in the morning becoming light and variable.

Tonight...Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of rain in the evening...then a chance of rain and a slight chance of snow late. Lows around 29. East wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.

Monday...Cloudy with a chance of rain and snow. Highs around 38. East wind 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Monday Night...Snow and rain likely. Lows around 28. East wind 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

This is sealevel south facing slope .... bears den up about 1500 + feet .... I don't they think it's warm !!!!!!

But temperature is only a piece of the Bear emergence pie .....

We haven't seen the deep snows of the last 2 springs ... but it ain't over yet. But it's been far from a warm / open winther. We still have snow around from the deep Christmas snows at low elevations.

Warm? That was my thought too Johnnie. Haven't seen a whole lot that resembles warm. I have frozen snow covering my deck and driveway this morning.

I've been watching dirt grow around a den fairly high up on a island by Wrangell which is easy to watch. All movement seems to be right at the mouth of the den.Its the only one I've seen in miles and miles of slope glassing and has been going on about 10 days

Default den activity in mid march

Is probably a normal thing for the early emergers.

Bear just don't wake up a run for the beach. I believe they are in and out of the den for as much as 2 weeks before venturing out. And then sometimes returning. I have seen them even in mid-May, high up, still asleep on their feet moving in slo-mo.

In history there have been a few tagged in March on the POW west coast. But not many. Not many people out Bear hunting yet.

The last few years the first tagged Bear on POW was April 20th / 22nd .. down on the SW side of things.

I would think that during the first half of May this year there will still be many logging spur roads closed due to snow drifts.

I'm taking my snow shoes out there again.

I hiked a good portion of the Harris River yesterday looking for a steelhead, and plenty of snow is still around!

I'm hoping for some warmer rain in the next few weeks to get rid of some of the snow!

Depending on the snow melt on the southern slopes, you may be a little early.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I was actually going to ask the opposite question: Seeing all the snow still around, can we expect the bears to be a "hair" late this spring - maybe pushing prime time back 5-10 days?

RW

Default Always the question !!

Quote Originally Posted by HereDuckyDucky View Post
    I was actually going to ask the opposite question: Seeing all the snow still around, can we expect the bears to be a "hair" late this spring - maybe pushing prime time back 5-10 days?RW
    I'm wondering the same thing ... looking out my window this morning

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing ... looking out my window this morning
    I might need snow shoes to get to my truck.

Default more warm weather

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I might need snow shoes to get to my truck.
    If you didn't need em today you will in the morning .... Me thinks we won't be seeing any Bear any time soon !!!!!!!

DIXON ENTRANCE TO CAPE DECISION COASTAL AREA-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CRAIG...KLAWOCK

SOUTHERN INNER CHANNELS-MISTY FJORDS-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...KETCHIKAN...METLAKATLA...HYDER
    353 PM AKDT TUE MAR 17 2009

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT
    TONIGHT TO NOON AKDT WEDNESDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT
    TO NOON AKDT WEDNESDAY.

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVING INTO THE EASTERN GULF LATE THIS
    EVENING WILL PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACROSS THE SOUTHERN
    PANHANDLE LATE TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING. 3 TO 4 INCHES OF
    SNOW ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED WITH AN ADDITIONAL 1 TO 4 INCHES ON
    WEDNESDAY. HIGHER SNOW AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES ARE EXPECTED NEAR
    HYDER. IN ADDITION...STRONG SOUTHEAST WINDS WILL ACCOMPANY THE
    STORM WITH WIND GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN ADVISORY MEANS THAT A HAZARDOUS EVENT IS ALREADY OCCURRING OR
    IMMINENT. THIS STORM COULD POSE A THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY.

Jingle bells, jingle bells...............

Thanks guys for the info I don't live there so I don't know I was just looking at the weather and thought it might be warming up fast? Here in WI I have seen 2 bears already but this really early here. I guess I can quit worring about it. Johnnie do you think I should bring snow shoes? I'll be coming May 2nd to May 14th? This will be my first spring bear hunt so any info would be great. WE planned to hunt the tide flats from some reading that seems to be the place to hunt in the spring but like I said its my first spring hunt so it will be a shot in the dark!! SO like I said any help from anyone would be great!!

Thanks
    Aaron

Default beaches vrs uplands

First it's still snowing. Bear are starting to show up in northern Alaska but don't let that make you think that the farther south ... then the Bear gotta be out. It doesn't work that way. Our bears are early to bed and late to stand up.

If there is not allot of beach grass growth then there is nothing to hold the Bear in one spot feeding for awhile. They will just be roaming and turning over rocks for little crabs and eels at low tide. Munching on a little grass as they find it. Sometimes they will only hit the beach every few days and not stay out long.

If there is lots of green growth on a particular beach it will be obvious if Bear are working it.

I have always hunted upland in spring as well as the beach. Just have never had to wear snowshoes like the last 2 springs ... and the way it looks this spring. I have taken Bear still asleep on their feet in late May up high just below snowline. Many times the upland bear we have taken have had better fur and no rubs like the beach dwellers.

Who knows what April weather will bring ... but with the latest snows it will take lots of heavy rain and wind to knock it back.

Johnnie thanks for the info!!!

Bowbearman, I'll be right behind you. I'll be bear hunting on POW from 13-23 May. If possible, I'd like to contact you at the end of your hunt.

It's still snowing..

Default 4" today

We already have 4" today in Thorne Bay, and on the south side of the bay, the snow hasn't melted just above high tide for a couple weeks. Can't get out to Sandy Beach yet with a truck. Doesn't seem like they will be out earlier than usual.

Well I just hope I can get to the cabin!!!

Default no driving

There won't be much driving in early May ... many of the logging spurs will be closed by snow. Probably till mid-May.

I don't see this weather pattern changing much.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast