Thread: Riding in NW Alaska!

Wink Riding in NW Alaska!

I just returned from a 80 mile snowmobile trip up into Noatak National Park and Cape Krusenstern National Monument. Very nice spring conditions with temps right at -10 and almost no wind.

Animal report! Caribou everywhere! I have never seen this many bou in Cape Krusenstern during the winter. I had a tent camp up there for the past few winters so I have spent many nights camping but never so many animals! They were in bunches of 40-80 and lots of them. Saw the craziest thing and maybe some one can tell me why or what, I came a crossed a pile of sheds? Yes a small pile of fresh sheds. All from mature bulls, no sign of humans, just horns. Very strange. Any ideas?

The snow is very deep and it will be a very wet break up here with LOTS of run off. We got stuck a few times and in a bunch of timber we were in about 5 feet of the fluffy stuff. Man spring time in the Arctic is great!

Enjoy boys and keep your stick on the ice!

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    Kotzebue Alaska

Default No idea on the antlers...

What kind of sled are you guys riding up there? Just out of curiosity. Sounds like a great trip, Got any pics?

Default NW Alaska

I ride Ski-doos. i stick with 500 fan cooled and the scandis is my ride. 10,000+ miles and works like it is new.

I will attach some pics and add some in a 2nd message.

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals

Default NW Alaska

More pics

Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome pics Walt. Thanks for posting. Wish I was there...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.