Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivor Man

Default Survivor Man

Who watches this TV show? I really enjoy watching this show and I have picked up some very good tips that I would have never thought of. Also it is absolutely amazing he carries all of his own camera gear, and pretty much makes the trip twice. Once to set up the camera, walk back to point A, and then walk towards the camera to get his shot.

One of the better shows on TV if you ask me.

Thumbs up les

that guy is unbeleivably skilled and tough. can survive anywhere, anytime and he has proved it.

It goes to show how far preparation and the ability to use what you have will take you.

Cool yup

I agree that guy has a pair. probably shriveld up from the cold but he's got em. lol

Big fan of Les, amazing what the human body can endure.... but looks like he has some competition coming his way, new series on Discovery Channel Man vs. Wild, former SAS special forces survival guru... looks to be the same type of format.

Default great show

I think it's a great show and shows the reality of survival, even though he's an expert he still has a tough go at it and usually starves most of the time plus even if you know survival skills in theory doesn't mean it's always going to work for you in the field. Two thumbs up for keeping it real!!

Default Respect

The guy earned my respect when he cought a trout in a riverside flood pool and took a bite out of it raw! Indicates to me that he indeed does get hungry out there! Thankfully I have never been so hungry that I couldn't wait till I cooked my food first.

He has some great ideas and suggestions, but some are impractical for our climate, especially when staying dry can be the difference between life and death. He has a few more options when the temp stays in the 70's+.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I watched Man vs. Wild and I was kind of disappointed. At least Les Stroud takes a more realistic approach in his surviving scenarios. The other guy just did not cut it for me. If I remember right during his "drop in" he was caught in a tree and he claimed he was 60feet off the ground, then he cut the cords and landed on the ground. The entire episode was too staged if you ask me.

Rob, did you see the Canadian Arctic or the Plane Crash in Winter episodes? Both deal with cold temps and I picked up a few good pointers.

Les can start a fire like it is nobodies business. My old man thinks he strikes a match when the camera is not looking. Its a possibility but I think he actually starts his flame the old fashion way.

Thumbs up Both..

WG,

I saw both of those, and then another one where I think he was dropped in the mountains in Washington state or somewhere on the West coast. He ended up finding a river and walking along it (rivers go to the ocean...). At one point he had to cross it. He jumped off of a cliff into a pool about 30' below. He had wrapped his gear in a plastic bag inside his backpack and was using the pack as a floatation device. He ended up floating 4-5 miles down the river this way saving some time and effort (so he said). Eventually he said the cold water was too much and he had to get out.

I floated about 4-5 miles of Willow creek on a hot July day in an inner tube (not our best idea). I got so cold that I was getting headaches after about 2 minutes! I don't think floating creeks up here would be a good survival technique! I think staying dry would be more beneficial.

The man is a fire starting fool though! He has some great ideas and actually shows a lot of them in detail. Since he puts so much information into his shows, I would be surprised if he cheated in building a fire. The explorers of old lit up fires like his with ease. I guess it just takes practice. We should give it a try sometime on one of our rides just for fun.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Indeed a great show, one must have big cahones to stay in the wild by themselves. One great reason to always carry a boonie hat.

We should give it a try sometime on one of our rides just for fun.
    That would be one loooooooong ride. Ill be sure to take my magnesium flint.

Default I haven't seen...

Survivor Man recently. I dig "I shouldn't be Alive" but it hasn't been on for awhile.

Tim

This is a great show. I like how he shows you what not to do as well as what to do. Visit http://www.lesstroudonline.com for info on his upcoming shows and to order the DVD's of Survivorman and some of his other work. I haven't seen it yet, but Snowshoes and Solitude looks like it would be great for anyone living up here.

Default The other guy?

I have seen another surviver show done by a guy who was exmilitary and took place in a tropical jungle it was definetly not Bear Grylls and not les. I saw it back in oct. It was pretty good but have not seen it since. Anyone know about it.

Default other guy

I'm not sure of his name but the show is called man vs. wild, tried to watch a couple but he just can't hang with les the survivorman!!!!!

Default otherguy

Bear Grylls is the man vs. wild guy, The show I saw came on after les (survivor man) being on his jungle trip and was of a man showing how to survive in a tropical rain forest as well. I saw the Bear Grylls in man vs wild in the jungle where he parachutes and was not the same as this other ex-military guy I saw. Im pretty sure man vs wild hadnt started yet at the time either. Maybe it was a one time show, but if you saw, it was pretty good. Every day he was out there he used less and less basic survival equipment and on different nights showed how to built different shelters. I think by time he finished the show he was just using a bolo machete. over all les does his gig pretty well.

Default Bear Gryllis in AK

Not trying to hijack a thread here, but did anybody see the one Bear did in Alaska? Only seen one and it kind of peeved me when he took the boat and sunk it. Just because a place hasn't been visited in a few years doesn't mean it is abandoned and you can take whatever you want. I would like to know if they rescued the boat and shovel and returned them after the "show" was over. I understand doing this for survival purposes, but this is a TV show. Hopefully they were returned or replaced.

There is no need for a TV set in my house, but I was visiting a buddy for Thanksgiving day and spent the majority of it watching "I Shouldn't Be Alive!" A guy could get addicted to shows like that! They had it on all day long. There were some interesting events those folks survived. I like to think that I am somewhat prepared in most situations, but they just go to prove that is almost never the case. Especially given the fact that you could end up anywhere at any given time during the course of your normal day. I know I try to have atleast a few basics needs. I used to carry a knife everywhere with me, unfortunately that is just not an option anymore. I have yet to see the other programs you all are talking about, but I saw a few previews and indeed they look to be quite impressive.

Default Other Survivorman

Quote Originally Posted by verlaskan View Post
    I have seen another surviver show done by a guy who was exmilitary and took place in a tropical jungle it was definetly not Bear Grylls and not les. I saw it back in oct. It was pretty good but have not seen it since. Anyone know about it.
    Verlaskan,

The show you're talking about was, I shouldn't be Alive. They had three guys plus a guide that got in over their heads in the Amazon Rain Forest. In that same show the had someone from the military that showed how they could have done things different. Going in steps from having a survival pack, to a knife, to nothing at all. I too was impressed with that episode.

I still watch it but I don't think Man vs. Wild is much of a survival show - he usually does 4-5 things in each show that would get a mere mortal killed....the guy is an expert mountaineer, ex special forces, etc and just does things that would be stupid for me to do (mostly to do with rock climbing)...I think Survivorman is a much better depiction of a normal person stuck in a survival situation - as has been said already - a little know how and practice and it can be done.

As far as Bear sinking the boat in the Alaska episode...I can't imagine that the whole thing wasn't staged...how prepared is this camera crew? They get dropped on top of a mountain skiing and end up in survival suits in a glacial fed bay?

Oh that's the other thing Survivorman does so much better - he is alone so the psycological aspect comes in as well, whereas Bear has what must be a multi person film crew so even if he's cold, starving, etc...there is zero real worry about survival (unless he falls from one of his insane "let me just climb down this vertical face with a raging waterfall pounding on my head" stunts...).

Survivorman is very well done, wish new episodes were on more often.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast