Thread: Lightweight Motor for Canoe?

Default Lightweight Motor for Canoe?

hi,

i'm wondering if any of the internal combustion guys on the PB forum would have any thoughts on a lightweight outboard maybe 2-3HP that could be used on a canoe or small skiff. mostly a canoe.

i'm looking for something that might be used at the end of canoe trip on rivers such as, for example, beaver creek, where the current pretty much turns into a lake on the flats and there are dozens and dozens of mile of oxbows.

something that wouldn't weigh too much and be easy to carry.

i've heard that the air cooled motors are much lighter. but, how much nosier are they?

i don't think i'd want to go electric as i've heard they go through a battery pretty quick.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks.

-gulk

I used a 2 hp motor on a canoe while lake fishing when I lived in another state. It worked very well and would easily push the canoe about twice as fast as two of us could paddle it. One gallon of gas would last the entire day. I would recommend it.
    Been so long ago I do not remember the motor details but would suspect most motors that size are air cooled.
    Tennessee

I have a 12 lb. "Cruise and Carry" 2 cycle, 1.5 hp, air cooled that I have used on a 17' standard weight Gruman canoe for years. It is noisy... sounds like a weedeater. It will also go all day on less than a gallon and make a loaded canoe "fly like the wind". I have not used it for years, but am thinking of checking it out as power for a dingy.

We use a 2hp Yamaha 2-cycle which weighs 22lb. It's also our dinghy motor for the cruising boat. Ours is 21 years old and still doing well. Pushes the canoe maybe 10 miles loaded with camping gear on its built-in one quart tank (premix).

The newer four-cycles are 28lb minimum - such as the air-cooled Honda. It's considerably noisier.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Default I would consider an old Johnyrude

I have an old [1974] 6 hp Evinrude Fisherman that I picked up a couple years ago for $100. It weighs 52 lbs and is a twin cylinder. Because it is a twin it idles and runs very smoothly and is relatively quiet. It has enough power to push my 12' jon boat along at about 12 mph with two people and little gear. It is much smoother than a brand new Suzuki 6 hp four stroke I bought, which is a single cylinder. Parts are still available for these old motors and they are very reliable. I believe Johnson/Evinrude also made a twin cylinder 4 HP that was around 35 lbs. I would look for a light, liquid cooled twin OMC if you want a smooth, quiet, motor.

Default Honda 2hp

Some places may have restrictions on using 2-strokes, I only know of the Kenai though. Honda makes an air cooled 2hp 4-stroke, short shaft weighs 27 lbs and long shaft weighs 29 lbs. I've been told they were quiet and sip the fuel, but haven't used mine yet....quiet is relative. 4-stroke should use less fuel, be relatively quieter, and for sure wouldn't have that exhaust smell a 2-stroke puts out. Cost is close to $900 in AK. I got mine for a tender, might also us on a square back canoe.

Default And, air-cooler might make more noise but....

because they don't have a water pump, you can go thru shallow areas with weeds and slime and not worry about plugging up the intake and having cooling problems. Sounds like your canoe area might be weedy and this would be a benefit to you.

I also have the Honda 2 HP, 4 stroke air cooled for the dinghy. It is quiet and runs all day on a tank. Good motor, should push a canoe very well.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I have no experience with these guys but here is an interesting product.

http://www.smalloutboardengines.com/...rd4stroke.html

I have been using an old Johnson 2 horse for years to push our moose raft. I picked it up in Ebay from a Midwest (no salt) seller for very little. It has been super reliable and relatively quiet. I'm guessing the weight at 20lbs. Parts are still available as well.

Wink dibs on the honda 2hp

read on the honda site awhile back that on a lake test they got almost 25 miles out of one motor tank of fuel and equaling over 100 miles per gallon and also weigh in on the lighter end of things and also no 2-stroke oil which is very expensive. i've run the old air cooled honda 2hp and it was very quite.

I run a 3.5 Tohatsu 4-stroke (40 lbs.) for the canoe and it scoots right along and is fairly quiet.

I ran a 3 horse Tanaka for years and if you can handle the noise they make a great 'beater' motor.

I have a Suzuki 2.5hp 4 stroke for an 18' canoe that works fine. It weighs only 30 pounds and is pretty quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanonamous View Post
    I have an old [1974] 6 hp Evinrude Fisherman that I picked up a couple years ago for $100. It weighs 52 lbs and is a twin cylinder. Because it is a twin it idles and runs very smoothly and is relatively quiet. It has enough power to push my 12' jon boat along at about 12 mph with two people and little gear. It is much smoother than a brand new Suzuki 6 hp four stroke I bought, which is a single cylinder. Parts are still available for these old motors and they are very reliable. I believe Johnson/Evinrude also made a twin cylinder 4 HP that was around 35 lbs. I would look for a light, liquid cooled twin OMC if you want a smooth, quiet, motor.
    I have a old 4hp twin Evinrude I used on my sailboat years ago, I dug it out last summer to use for a kicker and discovered it was locked up from lack of use. Last time I used it was 1995, I put a new water pump in and a clutch spring & prop. If anyone wants to come and get it they can have it in exchange for a 12 pak...... I dont think it was used much before I got and I only used it 1/2 dozen times. Its complete and the lower end is good.
    PM if someone wants it. I am in Fairbanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have a old 4hp twin Evinrude I used on my sailboat years ago, I dug it out last summer to use for a kicker and discovered it was locked up from lack of use. Last time I used it was 1995, I put a new water pump in and a clutch spring & prop. If anyone wants to come and get it they can have it in exchange for a 12 pak...... I dont think it was used much before I got and I only used it 1/2 dozen times. Its complete and the lower end is good.
    PM if someone wants it. I am in Fairbanks
    Pour a bit of trans fluid down the cylinders and give it a few days before you pull the rope...this may very well free up the pistons. If you used it as a kicker it may have salt in rock form on top of the pistons too.

I would take you up on it in a heart beat if it were in Anchorage. I love those old motors. I second dumping ATF down the cylinders and letting it sit for a couple of days. Then slowly try working the flywheel back and forth. It will definitely be a rewarding project for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Pour a bit of trans fluid down the cylinders and give it a few days before you pull the rope...this may very well free up the pistons. If you used it as a kicker it may have salt in rock form on top of the pistons too.
    Good tips, after I used it on the sailboat, I ran it on a 17 foot Grumman a few times, the last time was 95.
    Last summer when I thought I would resurrect it I pulled the muffler off and the plugs out, I poured in some marvel and let it sit a day or two, then more marvel and then I heated it up. I did this thru several cycles thinking I could free it up and finally said the heck with it. I do believe most parts could be scourced? I never looked real hard, if I had gotten the cylinder off I would have rebuilt it. Who knows, maybe after the long oil soak it might even turn over????
    So maybe someone has a usable power head and could use the lower unit.......