Thread: 18 ft. hewescraft

Default 18 ft. hewescraft

Is it doable to fish 4 people fairly comfortable from an 18ft. hewes sportsman? Looking at getting a new boat.

I would say its do able not sure how comfy. I figure one in front and two off the sides in the back. If you have an outboard on it another off the stern. I would say that is pushing it though.

Default Is it safe? NO

I used to own an 18ft Hewes Searunner - I assume your talking about five people in the boat - It can be done but it's not very safe and it is definitely not very fun. Especially if your thinking of going out in the saltwater for fishing. If you have the chance buy a 20ft and you will be thankful you did after a few times out.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

4 people fishing, its time for that famous line:
    "I think we need a bigger boat"

Seriously, you may enjoy it the first couple of times out after that you will end up hating the boat.
    Tennessee

I have an older 17' searunner. Two people is perfect, three is pretty good as long as we are all compatable and like to fish the same way without moving around too much (I like to put in pretty long days on the water). I will sit in the back on the kicker and they sit in the seats. Four is possible, but pushing it. I would definitely be taking a break mid-day for lunch and streching. I usually only fish alone or with one or two others so mine is perfect for my needs. If most of your fishing will be with four people there are probably better options out there.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

3 guys in the back of a 19' Searunner..........similar to what you are looking at. Spent a week with these guys visiting, I didn't fish much, 4 was to crowded
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 would be pushing it. I have the 16'-17' Sear Runner Sportsman and it is great with 2 or 3 adults. 2 adults with 2 kid's works out as well, but one of them is usually asleep under the bow cover while the other plays with the anchor rope anyway...

Default What kind of fishing?

As already said, better go bigger! Had a 17' Almar and 4 of us (total) was too crowded. 3 is okay but that's it. "Fairly Comfortable" and 4 trying to fish will not be that. The 20' suggestion sounds better but a lot depends on the type of fishing.
    Jim

Default 20'

I fish 4 routinely out of mine, a 20' Sportsman, I've done 5 with 4 in the back, 1 in the bow. One off each corner in the back and off each side is normal though. I wouldn't want to do it with a smaller boat though so yeah I'd go with the 20! My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by buckmark View Post
    Is it doable to fish 4 people fairly comfortable from an 18ft. hewes sportsman? Looking at getting a new boat.
    I would doubt it. Even in my 22 foot boat 4 people plus me fishing is crowded and many times I volunteer for the solitude of the bow. Realistically though, 4 people halibut fishing is the max on my boat and I would bet that you would want just 2-3 on yours for a number of reasons.

Default 21' boat

On my boat I usually have one other than me when fishing and its nice. Occasionally i'll have two others and when its time to fish i'll usually let the two take the back and prop a chair on top of the bow for myself. Plenty of room that way without any headaches or worries of the other two mixing in with my line.

I would agree with everyone here. I used to have the 17' stryker and it was great for 3 adults. One more would have been too much.

Default Thanks

Thanks guys all the replies really helps out on making a decision on getting a first boat.