Thread: Short barrel on a 300 WSM?

Default Short barrel on a 300 WSM?

Just curious of anyone has tried it, but how much velocity does a .300WSM lose when you lop the barrel back from 24 to 20 inches? I've heard wildly varying estimates from 10 to 100 fps per inch. Hoping someone has found out from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Just curious of anyone has tried it, but how much velocity does a .300WSM lose when you lop the barrel back from 24 to 20 inches? I've heard wildly varying estimates from 10 to 100 fps per inch. Hoping someone has found out from experience.
    I've had hold of two 300 WSM rifles with 20.5" barrels and to me they were ballistically a 30-06 with a 24" barrel. Both hitting about 2800 with 180 grain bullets. My 24" 300 WSM's have been about 2950 fps with the same load. Four inches gives about 150 fps loss and that fits right in with what I calculate with the various calculators I have. There would be less loss if the bore was larger such as 325 or any of the wildcats such as 338, 358, 375 etc on that case.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Depends on powder

I would have to add that you could change the numbers a bit by going to a faster powder. Last year I cut a 338 win mag barrel from 24" down to 19.5" on average I lost about 200 fps with a 250 grain bullet. The deer I shot last fall didn't seem to notice and that rifled sure handled nice. Just my .02
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Hodgeman,
    I'll be honest with you.....I have a very set bias towards carbines. Short action cartridges with sharp shoulders are exremely efficient and need less barrel than the longer action cartridges. I once had a 260 remington compact rifle that had a 16 in. barrel and was reading a loss of 80 fps from the chrony. than from the 24 in. barrel ballistics in the reloading manual. Cut the barrel down my brother in arms! Ask questions later. I'm almost postive that the velocity loss will be substantially less than 100 fps. But with the good bullets out there......what would 50-100 fps even matter anyway? The ballistics will be virtually identical, Americans are a little too concerned with velocity nowadays. You have to consider the good handling you will gain with the shorter barrel, it's def. worth the loss.