Thread: maybe some new reg's.

shoshone idaho

Default maybe some new reg's.

on the Russian.. sounds like we might have to start hauling our red's up off of the river to clean them. I'm not sure what to think about this, or what folks from out of state will do to
    dispose of the carcases,, i am pretty sure they wouldn't want any fish cleaning done in the camp ground's or the overflow, or have the remains thrown in the dumpsters..
    seems like grinders on the cleaning tables would be the best solution..

Default Big mistake IMO

While I understand what they are trying to accomplish, this is a huge mistake. California tried this and virtually sterilized the rivers.... you take out a significant source of nutrients from the bugs that feed the trout, and also add the dip netting and kiss the resident fish good by.

I understand that they are trying to minimize the bear/human interaction, but they are unwilling to admit that we have more bears now than in the last 30 years (if not ever?). And we sure cannot do any kind of predator control, like opening hunting, even permitted... I know that they allow a few permits but so far have closed the fall season adn deferred the permits to spring when it is way more difficult and less productive to harvest.

I know that this has been beat to a pulp; that is allowing hunting of the bears... but I think that is a very viable option to reduce the bear/human interaction... If that is truly their motive, however they should also regulate bike riding, hiking, jogging, dogs and so on.

OK... I'll step down from teh soap box now... I feel like I may have stirred up a huge bee's nest...

Somewhere in Alaska

Oh no...with a thread like this, it's just a matter of time!

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

I really can't see them doing that. The whole point was to keep the bears out of the camp ground.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Eagle River/ Juneau

last time I brought a fish away to clean I got yelled at because I was bringing fish scent into the campground. And then of course there are about 100,000 carcasses that end up in the river anyway (from the salmon that spawn and die). I think the federal government is just horribly bad at bear/human management.

Maybe they should just close the area to sockeye fishing, no more bear problems then
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default My 2 cents

I believe in this situation you have to choose one or the other. If fishing is the #1 priority then you eliminate most of the bears where the conflict becomes very minimal. If we want bears in their natural habitat then we eliminate humans from the equation. No fishing, hiking, biking, etc. In reality we can't just choose one or the other. And you can't just kill all the bears, so I would think that thinning the number of bears is the only reasonable option. Eventually it comes down to who's more important? Wildlife, fish, or people. Humans and their safety will always trump wildlife. I guess my opinion is to get rid of as many bears as are needed to keep human safety and recreation maximized. Only in this situation on the Russian though.

soon to be back in Alaska

Robin West, manager of the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge in Soldotna, who's agency manages lands to the west of the Russian River, said he will work with the other groups involved to find a solution. Robert Begich, a sportfish area management biologist with Fish and Game in Soldotna, wouldn't comment on whether he thought asking anglers to remove carcasses was a good idea.
    The problem is there are 4 or 5 regulatory agencys that have a say in what hapens in the Russian River. Getting them all to agree on a solution is near impossible.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Default Flawed logic?

It doesn't make sense (to me anyway) to assume that if you take away the angler-deposited carcasses from the stream that the bears will just suddenly say "Drats" and go somewhere else.

It seems more likely (to me anyway) that they would then be MORE likely to have bad interactions with the anglers who are now going to be carrying the carcasses tied to their waders or in their backpacks.

Bear: "Hmm. No fish carcasses in the river. Guess I'll just take John's fish away from him."

John: ""
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

This has Cluster%$^& wrote all over it. Those carcess's feed alot of fish. If people are required to take thier whole fish out trust me. The russian campground will be running amuck with bears. People dont have enough common sense to throw thier trash out. Fish will make it a more of a nut house than it all ready is
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Simple solution. Fishing with bears is way more dangerous than hunting with bears. Therefore expand the guide requirement thing already established for non-residents for hunting purposes and taylor that to read res and nonres guide requirement to fish. The problem will be solved and the bears will benefit. Now when does that public hearing end?
    Seriously, let it go guys. The feds know what they are doing and the bears will fix things they overlook.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default I've got it!

Mandatory cyanide capsules - distributed free by F&G. After you're done cleaning your fish, you shove a capsule or two into the carcass and send it downstream. Problem solved!!

And if you try to cheat the system and sneak your fish out whole and ol' Mr. Brown Bear takes a bite or two out of you, well, you've got something to dull the pain.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I think what they are trying to do from what i heard is make everyone clean there fish when they get home. They dont even want you to clean them in the campground. Theres no way it can work that way some people stay a week or more. They said something about gutting and gilling on the river and do the rest at home. It is going to be interesting to se what they come up with this time. I am sad when i think of the russain river. I remember fishing it as a kid in the 60s and 70s and sometimes I didnt even see another person on weekdays and a few on the weekends. It realy was my favorate river back then.. I still fish it mabe once a year..