Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lions in Southeast; Myth or what?

Default Mountain Lions in Southeast; Myth or what?

I have heard several (I think 5) stories of someone seeing an actual mountain lion down in the southeast and even one on the Kenai. Lets at least organize the myths. It's not impossible that a couple have followed the deer or moose up this way. They would actually be a tremendously advantaged predator for stalking moose calves and deer. Has anyone else heard these stories? Especially if anyone has a time and place more specific than southeast.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

There was on killed on Wrangle in 89-90? i forget which year. the guy got in a lot of trouble for shooting and endangered species in AK, being the first documented case of it up here. as i remember the arctical... he heard a commotion out side and saw the eyes in his flash light and shot thinking it was a small bear in the yard... only to find out it was a mt lion..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I saw a lion on the Al-Can highway in Aug 01. About 5-10 mi inside the Canadian border (Alaska/Canadian). It was sitting in the road, my head lights caught its eyes so I started to slow down (thinking it was a wolf). As I got close enough to actually see the whole animal, it stood up and lazily walked off the road. I was amazed to see a lion this far north. Thats my storie for what its worth. I think it is absolutly feesable that the cat pop could move north for food and solitude as thier habitat down south is constantly encroached.
    Last edited by 2dawgs; 03-14-2009 at 12:39. Reason: added date.

Several years ago a trapper in the SE got tired of F&G telling him there were no cats in AK - they agreed with him once he brought in a hide from one of his traps. I think most people accept that the cats are following the deer north....to Alaska!

Default not the first

2dawgs,

Not the first sighting that is for sure. I believe you. I worked for the refuge visitor center there in the early 90's and one day had 5 people stop in and say they saw a mountain lion. They all described it as a very large cat with a long tail. What can you say?

Interesting. I dont see why not. They can survive the weather in the Colorado mountains and in Canada, why not here? Question is, are they still an endangered species? I know you can hunt them in Colorado.

Default Rivilla Island

There has been one reported on Ketchikan's Island.

You cannot shoot one. They are not in the reg book. If it is not in the reg book you cannot shoot it.

Not listed as endangered.

What about 'deleterious exotic wildlife'? That says no limit no closed season.

Default Check out the wildlife forum...

On this topic. Several reliable sitings in southcentral, couple near Anchorage and out on the Kenai. We keep hearing what we think in one near our cabin out in PWS. This topic was in the wildlife forums a month or so ago, in two places, you can read more there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    What about 'deleterious exotic wildlife'? That says no limit no closed season.
    Thats critters you buy and bring in.. not natural migration of wild animals
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Such as turkeys, hogs & powder monkeys
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Such as turkeys, hogs & powder monkeys
    What's your address? I need to send you a bill to get the the Crown and Coke cleaned out of my keyboard !!

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    What's your address? I need to send you a bill to get the the Crown and Coke cleaned out of my keyboard !!
    Same here

Regarding these cats; many years ago OR/AK did a swap - our elk for your sheep. I really wish they would do another swap for say 20,000 of our mountain lions for...... lets see..... 1 of your rabbits.

Default By the Regs...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    From what I found on the F&G Website summary of AK Rodent Laws effective Sept 17, 2007:

5 AAC 92.990 Definitions
    (52) "deleterious exotic wildlife" means any starling, English sparrow, or raccoon; any Muridae rodent, rockdove or Belgian hare that is unconfined or unconstrained; and any feral ferret or feral swine.

That would definitely leave out mountain lions.

Fuse

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    From what I found on the F&G Website summary of AK Rodent Laws effective Sept 17, 2007:

5 AAC 92.990 Definitions
    (52) "deleterious exotic wildlife" means any starling, English sparrow, or raccoon; any Muridae rodent, rockdove or Belgian hare that is unconfined or unconstrained; and any feral ferret or feral swine.

That would definitely leave out mountain lions.

Fuse
    And...the wild Turkey's, but F&G still encourages killing them. How come? I would think they would both be considered to be Invasive Species. Bottom line, they speak with a forked tonque and out of both sides of their mouth. The three S's apply when you get the opportunity.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The three S's apply when you get the opportunity.
    That is exactly right. We do not want them to get established here. I grew up in the North Cascades down in Washington. Lots of cougars down there. One year we lost 15 calves to them. Northern Vancouver Island has probably the highest pop. density of cougars anywhere in the world, and the most human attacks. Ask anyone from NW Washington or southern BC what they think of cougars and what they have done to deer and elk populations....especially since they outlawed hound hunting in Washington.

Default Saw it on Skilak

I watched a cougar for about 30 seconds about 5 years ago on Skilak Loop Road, between the Hidden Creek trailhead and the Hidden Creek campground entry. It was walking toward me and my buddy on the side of the road - we'd just finished a day fishing down on the Kenai. We stopped the car and watched until a truck came up along behind it and scared it into the woods.

Called fish and game the next day and was put in touch with the area biologist who spent quite a bit of time talking with me about it. He told me there'd been a lot of reports all over the kenai. Some he was sure were Lynx sitings, others like mine he felt were legit cougar sitings.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I watched a cougar for about 30 seconds about 5 years ago on Skilak Loop Road, between the Hidden Creek trailhead and the Hidden Creek campground entry. It was walking toward me and my buddy on the side of the road - we'd just finished a day fishing down on the Kenai. We stopped the car and watched until a truck came up along behind it and scared it into the woods.

Called fish and game the next day and was put in touch with the area biologist who spent quite a bit of time talking with me about it. He told me there'd been a lot of reports all over the kenai. Some he was sure were Lynx sitings, others like mine he felt were legit cougar sitings.
    This is also where the Wild Turkey's are. Coincidence or Chance? I would think there is more likelyhood of a connection. A JohnnyTurkeyCougarSeed perhaps.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Eklutna

My whole family saw one in 2008 at mile 4.5 of the Eklutna lake ATV trail. Walking the trail and did not seem too concerned or in a hurry, even paused for a look back over the shoulders before slowly walking into the bush.
    F&G didn't believe me, said it was a lynx/bobcat. It wasn't. I used to trap bobcat in Louisiana and let me tell you this was not one of them!

Wild Turkey can make you see lots of things,mostly beautiful women at the local pub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast