Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fave non-Piper, non-Cessna

Default Fave non-Piper, non-Cessna

I guess there is no need for any of us to sing praises for the fine Pipers or Cessnas that crowd every airport. What is your favorite non-Piper, non-Cessna for bush flying?

When I finally break down and put my money on the table, I'd like a high power maule 7. I believe there is now a 260 hp version available, but I'd be happy with the 235.

I think the Champ (and the Sedan, for that matter) is also an underrated bush plane.

BUt for me, by far, the Taylorcraft F-19 is my favorite "off brand" bush plane. I'd like a low-timer with the auto gas STC, wheels, skis, and floats, and a $35,000 price tag. That's hard to beat, in my opinion. That is some low cost back country flying fun right there!

I love my Sedan, but I know many people who swear by their T-Crafts. The biggest problem with Taylorcrafts, in my opinion, is if you're much over six feet tall it isn't going to work.

There was an outfit in Anchorage a while back (okay, quite a while back) who was renting out a T-Craft for eighteen bucks an hour, I wanted to fly that plane so bad, but there was no way I was ever going to fit my 6'6" body into that thing. What a disappointment!

Everything is a compromise, but the Cessna 208 is coming pretty close to being perfect IMHO. As far as non Piper or Cessna, and for personal flying, I've always thought the Stinson 108 isn't a bad choice.

Never flown a Stinson, but most people I know who do like them. I saw a couple in the Anchorage paper for what looked like reasonable prices.

Cessna 208...do you mean the Caravan? They are nice flying airplanes, but personally, if I had an extra $1.3m lying around I'd pick up a Grumman Goose, a couple of spare R985's and save the change for gas! <g>

Default non cessna or piper

I have always had a love affair with the Stinson 108 and from what I have heard, with the O-360 in it, it can be a real performer. I guess the fact that Grandpa owned one and he had a profound influence on me my have something to do with it.

I guess if it has to float then maybe a Lake Anphibian or a good old beaver. For fixed gear then maybe a Aviat Huskey or a Helio Courier.

Adison

I'd love to have my old 85 HP champ again. Hard to beat for just plain old fun flying.

I'll back the champs. No'one wants an airplane in which a scratch will ruin your day. I have a citabria. (basically an electric semi-newer champ). I know lots of folks with all different citabrias, 7eca, 7gcaa, 7gcbc, 8gcbc, who are all quite satisfied including myself. -tony

Talking favorite Alaska bush plane..

It begins and ends with Twin Otter.

Default Twin Otter

Holy cow. I couldn't even afford to put the gas in a twin otter.

Talking AkSteve...

Me either. Dont know who could. But they sure are fun to fly, and can do just about anything you can think of in any kind of weather!

I watch them all day long and nothing out preforms a helocourer

Default Super Stinson

I've flown different tail draggers but the T-craft was a favorite. Hard to believe what performance could be got from that little 65hp. engine, and oh, those big wings.
    Of course I'm now very partial to the Stinson and have found that the old timers who say 'whatever you can load into a Stinson, it will get it off the ground or water". That's true especially with 230hp.
    They're all great though aren't they? Especially if the little wheel is on the tail!

True. I'm too tall for T-Crafts, but haven't heard much bad about them from folks who've flown them for any amount of time. I considered buying an L-2, which is a tandem, military observation version of the Taylorcraft, I sat in it, and actually fit. It would have been a fun plane but I already had the Sedan and passed. It was being sold for about $6000.00, I believe, by an aircraft dealership at Merrill (I think it was run by a guy named Dari) I uttered the famous last words of all who've passed up on airplane deals that they later regret: "those things will always be cheap." My father said the same thing when they were selling Stearmans for $200.00 after WWII. (He saved the money for moving to Alaska and I'm happy about that!)

Default non piper - non cessna

I am 6' 2" and I've over 3000 hours in the t-craft I love it , 5.5 gph . Most the time on floats now days, but spent alot of time on wheels also. I've hauled 3 wheelers, cabin packages, moose, you name it, on floats. I also have a PA 12 , but love the t craft.

Default Maule

I just have to chime in for the Maule. All aviation involves compromises. I fly a 210 h.p. M-5, and have learned that the plane gives up its secrets slowly. It carries a little too much energy on touch down, but you learn to manage it. I sometimes wish I had more horsepower and the longer wing of the M-7. All in all the Maule is a great value.

Chet

Smile Zenith

Well boys my vote goes to the Zenith 701. All metal, high wing and extreme STOL. Everything is much cheaper than a certified aircraft. It will haul me and about 270 lbs of gear or moose. I do have to pull the right seat cover off and strap my gear or moose to the seat but it's safe and I can still get off faster at gross weight than a PA-18 can empty! I have a BPS installed in storage area behing the seat and when all else fails I pull the handle and float to Terra Firma. Floats new are under $20,000 if I want to use them. It's got more room than a 172 for the pilot and passenger. You can get it as a taildragger or nose wheel and that nose wheel is tough. You land so slow it can soak up anything a Cub could on landing and not hurt a thing. Unless you want to fly far and fast I would look at the 701. Zenith is almost ready to build something ready to fly thats a little bigger but not as big as the 801 and should haul as much weight as the standard PA-18. Still I like the 701 and you can build one in about 400 hours for about the price of a new 180 HP motor and prop.
    Be safe and let your partner watch for the moose while you "fly the plane".

Default Zenith 701

I was wondering if built your own and how long it took you? Also would you be willing to let me check it out some time out or even take me up. I'm planning on getting a plane next spring. Thanks Terry

Default Zenith 701

http://www.zenithair.com/

Terry:
    Click on the hyperlink above and you can learn everything
    you want to know about the plane. Also, check the FAA database on the 701 and you will see that nobody has ever been killled in one that has crashed, ( and very few have ever crashed). There are more than a few
    people in Alaska that have 701's that you can contact thru the Zenith website to see one in person or maybe a demo flight. My plane is in the lower 48 while I'm on a job in Washington state and won't be back in Alaska till fall of 2007. It take the average guy with little or no skills about 400 hours or less to build one and under the new sportplane rules that would allow you to do your own maintence on it too which will save you a bundle of dough! With every option you can buy and the emergency chute system which you get from another company you are looking at about $30,000 which includes shipping. You will not find a better aircraft in this price range anywhere. It has side by side seating which is the only way to go and you can install Alaska bushwheels on it. It has a ground adjustable
    prop so you can have a climb setting or a cruise setting depending on your mission. Get the 100HP Rotax that way you can have alot more power for floats or hauling heavy loads. That 100HP may not sound like much but on a wingloading to HP it's better than a Super Cub. Did I say the plane was all metal? Thats right, no fabric to go bad or tear and with the weather in AK that is very important.

To sum it up. The 701 is the safest plane on the market. It is extreme STOL and that's for an average pilot with reasonable time in the 701. It has the ability to fly floats, bushwheels or skis and you a nosewheel which means no taildragger endorsment or high insurance. It will land slower and take off faster than anything but an ultralight. You won't go wrong with this plane so get one and in about a year the pride of flying a plane you built will remain with you the rest of your life. Don't forget to join the EAA which has many people who will be glad to help out building and giving you advice.

Mark

Default zenith looks like the ticket

for the kind of flying I like. Low and slow.

I haven 't flown since I sold my champ a LONG time ago. I want to get back into it and that looks like a good choice.

I won't be doing it soon, gotta raise my kids first.

The 701 never looked like anything more than a flying go-cart to me - perhaps you can elaborate on a few points.

What's useful load? You claim better gross performance than an empty PA-18 - how about some numbers? Unless the legal gross is a skinny guy and half a sandwich, I just don't believe you without seeing it. How's it fly over gross?

It's got more room than a 172 for the pilot and passenger.

Sure doesn't look that way. What are the interior dimensions?

You can get it as a taildragger

Could you point me to that information? I've never heard that.

it can soak up anything a Cub could on landing and not hurt a thing

The prop on a 701 is a couple of inches from the ground. I land on 6" rocks pretty commonly, bigger if I have a good reason to. 6 > 2. What am I missing?

With every option you can buy and the emergency chute system

Might be a good idea. From what I understand, it has the glide ratio of an overloaded Pacer - just a little steeper than a brick. I heard that via the guy that balled the one up on the flats this summer. Lots of things bent that I didn't think should have bent in that wreck - and that "tough" gear - all 3 of them - folded.

It has side by side seating which is the only way to go

That's a bit subjective. I LIKE seeing what's on the other side of the airplane, and don't particularly like snuggling up to most of my passengers.

you can install Alaska bushwheels on it

How do you propose to do that?

no fabric to go bad or tear and with the weather in AK that is very important

Yea, I only got 22 years out of my last cover job - all outside. I like the ability to fix just about anything with hose clamps and duct tape; metal airplanes scare me.

Have you flown it on skis? My tri-gear ski experience in deep snow has been less than pleasant. Trying to dodge rocks on wheels with tri-gear isn't much more fun - I don't think I'd consider it unless the tailwheel option is reality.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide. I've only had 3rd-hand experience with the plane. The literature makes it look pretty good, but it is published by the guys that are trying to sell airplanes. Any real-world experience that you can share is much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast