Thread: 2009 Homer King Salmon Derby

Thumbs up 2009 Homer King Salmon Derby

Can any of you hardcore Homerites give us an update on the trolling down there? Time to feed the fever!
    Are you picking any up?
    Where?
    Is the harbor ice free?

I can borrow some pyramid traps for tanners, is it worth the effort? How deep are you dropping them? I hope to get down on Wednesday and play around Thur and Fri prior to the derby.

Thanks for any replies....
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default harbor is ice-free

tanner crab closes on sunday, so don't bother.
    there are boats out as i type at glacier spit, the islands and the bluff.
    fish have been scattered, with most coming from 4th of july, but no real size....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Anyone have an open seat for the derby?

Thumbs up Thanks Blackfish

Thanks for the report Dave. If I see ya on the water, I'll give you a shout.

I am starting to look full up for seats. One more to confirm. If they show up Derby Day.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

A FRIEND OF MINE WENT TO GLACIER SPIT AND FISHED FOR TWO HOURS AND CAUGHT TWO NOTHING BIG.... BUT KINGS
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I'm heading down tomorrow and gonna try my luck for a few days trying different areas. With any luck...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Just got checked in. Had never tried Lands End and they are having a 2 night 3rd free deal. Brings it down to the Bidarka level and lots nicer. Sleep to the sound of surf.

The wind is blowing pretty good tonight. Hoping for a shake out run tomorrow and serious practice time Friday.

Marine weather isn't looking too rosy, but here's to NOT being at work tomorrow!!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thumbs up Sweet day

Hit the water today. It was foggy and chilly early, but it cleared up and laid down.

This is looking at Coal Point and my quarters on the way back in. Water got flat...
    Shot from the Spit at 5 PM.

Had a good shake out run. Dropped a couple riggers for about 3 hours. No fish, but damm nice day on the water.

The Right OF Way at ease for the night.

More practice tomorrow, God willin' and the surf don't rise.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default ..and the wind blew

Got kinda lumpy out there today. Five footers anyway. We hit it hard and rock & rolled all day. Hooked 2 halibut and lost one of something. Buts are small, mine went in the fish box!

Sure hope it lays down for tomorrow, it's snortin' right now. Al least we got some blood on the deck, well a puddle...
    Still better than work!!!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

After debating with myself much of the week, I decided to fish the derby. I had to hustle to get the boat untarped and ready to go before dark. Hopefully the weather is good tommorow. Good luck to all fishing in the derby

Just got here after a beautiful drive down. Wavy seas or not, fish or not, it's worth it being down here and relaxing. As an added bonus, I brought my backcountry gear and will ski Turnagain on my way home.

Default How was the skiing?

Judging by the frikkin blizzard I was pulling the boat thru last night, the skiing should be fantastic...which is better than the catching was during the derby of '09.
    We drug the bluffs all day and never saw a fish. A friend in the same area boated 2 small kings. I changed up gear every hour, from herring to a spoon to one of those swim baits back to herring with a blade. Nada.
    With my excellent hindsight, we should have gone to the area we were fishing on Friday. Lots of bait balls, diving birds and halibut hitting the gear. It was a bit bumpy in the morning and we played it according to the wind. Oh well, next year. I should forget the cost and effort by then.

It did lay down and the sun was shining, good day to be on the water.

So the sun sets on another Derby. I am now 1 fish in 6 years of the derby, but I have big dreams of next year....right Homerdave?

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

As long as everyone got back safe and sound all is well. What were the totals? Entrant's, boat's and most of all fish. What was the weight of the winner?

Default Oh yeah

We did get boarded by th Coast Guard. Everything was in order, BUT the registration for the sticker on the bow of the boat. I told the coastie that it is here somewhere, but the cabin was shoulder high in clothes, gear, food and the kitchen sink. If it's not too much, I'll just take the ticket so I can get back to fishing. He said that since I did have the sticker on the boat he just wrote me a warning. I thanked them or what they do and took my warning.

Gotta find my paperwork pouch when I clean her out today.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

yep, we had a dockside boarding the day before... everything was skookum, but my flares expire this month... no biggie.
    we got zip this year, one last year, 3 the year before... then a zip, a 3, and one or two the first couple years i fished.
    never been in the prizes, let alone money, but as my buddy says, if you only win once in 20 years it's still a good investment.
    including the side bets the winner walked away with about $35k for a 28.5 lb king. not too shabby!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Nice pictures bullbuster. Sounds like the fishing was way slow but at least the weather cooperated and a good time on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Judging by the frikkin blizzard I was pulling the boat thru last night, the skiing should be fantastic...which is better than the catching was during the derby of '09.
    I'm sure it would have been fantastic, but I chose to play it safely and not go alone. I wouldn't have minded being alone given the previous snowpack, but with new snow in the mountains and a slightly increased avalanche risk, it just wasn't worth it.

Next year, indeed! I need to win back my money from the skunk bet.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default at least you were out

I've taked about going and fishing that derby for years now and never made it, next year! right? what did the biggest weigh? looks like a very good day on the water.

this is a picture of what it looked like a week before
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Biggest was 28.5#.

Ahhh Kodiak, you have to put up with days like that to enjoy the best place in the world when the weather is nice.
    A friend of mine, Kenny Jones, of Skulls and Bones Taxidermy shop in Soldotna was 5th place. Way to go Kenny! No one deserves it more.
    A fresh piece of king does sound good right now!