Thread: Homer Charters

Default Homer Charters

Hey guys... I have been halibut fishing every year with my dad out of seward for the last 14 years or so... We are thinking about going to homer this year for a change.. I know pro-fish-n-sea charters, crackerjack charters, and many years fishing with captain steve with saltwater safari. It is just getting harder to book a june trip with the pros.... they get booked fast. I have little experiance fishing out of homer and am looking for some recommendations. I am not a tourist newbie that thinks 20 pound fish is a great trip... I can deal with that if thats all we catch.. but I want a captain that loves to fish and is out to catch big fish... (by big I mean 50-100lb fish) I like skippers that enjoy fishing as much as I do... You guys that love fishing know what i mean... it isn't a matter of putting you on fish... its about enjoying fishing! I dealt with a homer skipper once in my life and he was a jerk.. he had lost the will to fish... it just became a job at that point. I won't name the charter because I believe in not bashing on this forum unless asked for my opinion. If you have a skipper that loves putting people on good fish ( and let me stress... I would be thrilled with 2 50 pound fish) Than throw a shout out for your favorite skipper! I am willing to hit nikiski or deep creek also.. anywhere along that area would be great!

Rich Baltzer who books through North Country Charters. It's funny, your post read almost exactly like a discussion I had with Rich on Sunday - about loving to fish and captains who would rather be almost anywhere else other than guiding clients (including getting back to the dock as fast as they can). Rich is the former - he can't wait to get out on the water. That's one of the reasons I love to fish with him and have for the past 6 years if I go to Homer. If you're into salmon, Rich is one of only a handful of guys who fishes through the winter for kings down there. June is a great time for a combo. But he'll also run out to the islands or wherever necessary if your target is specifically larger halibut.

And I'm with you when it comes to Seward: the first two charters you mentioned have been my first pick for 6 years as well.

Here's Rich's website:

http://fishhomer.com/halibut.htm

And Gerri at North Country is great to work with if you go through them:

http://northcountrycharters.com/

If you're looking at a date after June 6th, let me know as I've got his boat that day - I'd be happy to post a report.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

K-Bay Charters I fished with them for years... Talk to Boneyard bait he worked with K-Bay
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default good list so far...

i'll add pete wedin of captain pete's charters, and peter karwowski of magic waters charters.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Josh on the huntress he's the man if a captain were a fish it would be him i have seen him bring back amazing fish when nobody was doing any good check with BOB's trophy charters and ask for josh or the Katillac with capt mike

Capt. Tony with Falcon charters or Capt. Mike on Spirit Charters, you won't find two nicer or hard working guys in Homer.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Capt. Pete

This man loves to fish and will do everything he possibly can to get you on the fish you're looking for.
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

P.m me, you will have a trip of a life time.thanks
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I second Capt. Peter Karwowski of Magic Water Charters. I've been on a lot of charters and Peter is one of the good ones. He enjoys people and won't sit on anchor the entire trip.