Thread: Phantom Sportjohn in Salt Water?

Question Phantom Sportjohn in Salt Water?

Has anybody had any experience (good or bad) with a Phantom Sportjohn in salt water, say out of Whittier?

Alaska's River Runner Hits the High Seas <--- Click

The link above is for a article by John Wyman about taking a trip to Valdez in his Sportjon. I have taken my Jetcraft XS down to Valdez twice and it does fine. The XS is very similar to the Sportjon and has the same power-plant.

Default not close

JUST MHO: I've seen many riverboats in The Arm, (including my own once)and have never seen one sink. Yet. I read the above "ad" a while ago. I hope that no unsuspecting person takes this for real. That boat IS a riverboat, P, EOS. Sure, it'll be fine when the water is flat, but an ocean boat it is not. Does the Coast Guard use them? Etc. Watch the weather very carefully if you take one out there.

Default xs versus sportjon

Crumm:
    Why did you buy the XS versus the sportjon?
    I am considering purchasing one or the other, unless of course I get a hovercraft instead........

I don't mean to answer for Crumm but here is a thread we talked about that subject in. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=4313

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    Crumm:
    Why did you buy the XS versus the sportjon?
    I wanted a boat that could take a little bit of abuse and still float. The XS has a 3/16 bottom and the Sportjon only has a 1/8" bottom. The Sportjon has also had some problems cracking out at the welds. 1/8" is not thick enough for me. I also like the built in fuel tank in the XS.

Default getting an XS unstuck versus a sportjon

The thread has diverged from salt water use, but that is OK. Lots of good information that is very much appreciated. I am leaning towards the XS due to layout (windshield farther forward).

Question is: How hard to push a 2175 XS off a gravel/sand bar when you do get stuck (we all get stuck eventually)? The winch, stern jack, and wheels seem like they might work on the Sportjon, whereas the XS does not have these options. However if these features are not effective (do the wheels work?) then I definitely lean towards the XS.

I presently run a 18ft Crestliner Sportsman (4 degree true-vee) with float pods on back and twin 23 single tail mud motor. It gets stuck in 9" of hardbottom but I can just get out, roll it on one side and then shove it downstream.

Also, are the UHMW sheets riveted to the hull thereby creating potential for lots of leaks? It seems like the UHMW could be riveted to a thin sheet of aluminum, and then that sheet perimeter welded to the hull as a better design? How are the thin strips of UHMW attached to the strakes? It seems like they would peel off for sure.

The XS is just as hard to push off as the Sportjon. They key is don't get stuck

You say the XS does not have the wheel option? Yes it does if you check into it. Karold's welding in Fairbanks is the place that makes wheel kits and he will install one on a XS just like the Sportjon has for the same price that it costs on the Sportjon and yes the wheel kit does work.

The winch option? I have a Warn winch mounted in the bow of my boat, the only difference is the fairlead is up a little higher to prevent water entering. Pictures below.

The UHMW is attached using a combination of bolts and glue. You are correct that they will peel off it hit just right and yes in time to holes will leak. The UHMW requires some extra maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    That boat IS a riverboat. Sure, it'll be fine when the water is flat, but an ocean boat it is not. Watch the weather very carefully if you take one out there.
    You are 100% correct. The question was salt water not big Ocean waves. You should check the weather, watch the weather and not go out farther than you can get back in a hurry or at least get into a safe bay. Definitely not a ocean boat with a 7-8 degree bottom but for a occasional trip out on some smooth water they are fine. The Sportjet has sacrificial anodes to combat saltwater corrosion.

Default Valdez...

These guys didn't seem to mind the sportjon on the salt...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where are there life-jackets?

A quick observation...Judging from the power pole reflection in the water as well as the camera elevation when the picture was taken, there's a good chance that they are tied up to the dock and just hopped in the boat to take a quick pic of the day's catch...

The reflection in the windshield should help out also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    there's a good chance that they are tied up to the dock and just hopped in the boat to take a quick pic of the day's catch...
    No chance of falling into the frigid water when boarding the boat?

Wink Lifejackets hell...

they would've needed helmets if they fell out of the boat there!

Default Think safety!

I suppose it's appropriate for me to weigh in here....seems like this thread is taking a couple of different routes, so I'll hit each of them separately: 1) Sportjohn in Salt Water? On a nice day? Sure, why not? Boating, just like everything else we do in life, includes risk. What matters is how you assess and mitigate the risks. In every accident that we investigate, there's almost a point that you can predict where the outcome would have been different...and it's always at the point where someone made a risk assessment and/or mitigation decision that went wrong. So, back to the original question, would I take a riverboat in the ocean? Not without checking the weather forecast, checking my safety equipment, filing a float plan and limiting my activities well within the design capabilities of the vessel I'm travelling in....but then, I do that everytime no matter what boat I'm in.... 2) Lifejackets? Of course! I have at least 10 PFD's aboard all the time....do I wear them all the time? No. Again, it depends on the risk. If I'm in the cabin and cooking dinner, I'm not normally wearing a life jacket, but if I'm on the back deck leaning over the side netting a fish, you can bet your life that I'm wearing a PFD....because that's what I'm betting! One of my favorite examples that I often use in class is to describe two boats; one a canoe and one a cruise ship. Imagine that you are on a small farm pond, sunny warm day and the pond is waist deep...now imagine that you are on a cruise ship in the North Atlantic and the ship's name is Titanic....on which boat are you likely to be wearing a PFD? The point is, of course, that the circumstances (risk assessment) dictates whether you wear a PFD or not...(unless you are under 13 on deck or in an open boat; then the law does the dictating!) Bottom line: Be smart and if you're not sure, then buckle up!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    No chance of falling into the frigid water when boarding the boat?
    Sure there's a chance...however if I wanted my fishing party to get into the bow of the boat to take a quick picture of the catch of the day while the boat was tied to the dock, I would not require them to don PFD's. But I tend to really live on the edge at times. If they did fall in and assuming they can swim, it would be a quick swim to the nearest ladder or shore.

Default What's next?

should we wear em in the bathtub....nah best to just not get crazy..no baths

nice pictures nice catch kinda wierd how someone has to always say something negative. By the way my cup is half full