Thread: switch panel question?

Default switch panel question?

hi guys,,,,i am looking for a 6-10 switch panle with NO fuses in the panel?..does one exist?...one that has a series of rocker type swtiches in ONE panel(not all single) would be perfect!..i have looked at bluesea and marine west etc but no luck so far! thanks for any help!! larry

just buy the switches that you want and make your own panel. i think you can use a blue seas panel with the cutouts for the switches. I'll have to look at the catalog at work. I know you can do it,sometimes youjust gotta make it yourself.

Default Try this

Is this what your looking for.8261.jpg

Find it at http://www.ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/index.html

• Designed for flybridge and open cockpit applications
    • ON-OFF Contura Switches
    • ON indicating LEDs embedded in switches
    • Watertight mounting gasket included
    • Countersunk mounting holes throughout
    • Heavy 1/8"aluminum material
    • Two-part polyurethane slate gray finish
    • Industry standard height and width
    • Mil-Spec chemical treatment via immersion to protect every surface detail from corrosion
    • Completely wired and ready to install
    • Includes set of 30/60 common DC labels
    • Over 500 labels availableNOTE: Waterproof panel labels are not backlit

You'll also need a negative and positive bus-bar to make it bullet proof. I installed 2 four panel Bluesea breakers and if my boat should ever sink they'll be the only thing glowing. The switches are daisy chained to together so it's best to run separate wires from your bus panels to the switches.
    Last edited by Tailingloop; 03-14-2009 at 19:36. Reason: specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailingloop View Post
    Is this what your looking for.8261.jpg

Find it at http://www.ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/index.html

close, but with OUT the fuses in the panel!..i have looked at this model too!!....i thought i saw one once somewhere!...i would make one, but would prefer to get one ready made! thanks for the responses!!...larry

Default The right switch

Wrong switch this is what you want.http://bluesea.com/files/images/products/8371.jpg
    http://bluesea.com/category/7/27/products/8371

You'll also need a negative and positive bus-bar to make it bullet proof. I installed 2 four panel Bluesea breakers and if my boat should ever sink they'll be the only thing glowing. The switches are daisy chained to together so it's best to run separate wires from your bus panels to the switches.

Sorry for creating the confusion The instillation is much easier with the 6 or 8 panel, they also make them in vertical position switches as well. Wish I had access to the vessel very impressive for a 21 ft. North River Seahawk. Looks like it came factory installed.I also had to go to longer screws to attach it to the dash plate.

Happy wiring.
    Last edited by Tailingloop; 03-14-2009 at 20:01. Reason: add on

close tailing!...that one has the push in breakers to reset(i think)!...i am looking for the one with just the switches!....i do have a 12 fuse block already!.....thanks larry

Wrong switch this is what you want.http://bluesea.com/files/images/products/8371.jpg
    http://bluesea.com/category/7/27/products/8371

Sorry for creating the confusion The instillation is much easier with the 6 or 8 panel, they also make them in vertical position switches as well. Wish I had access to the vessel very impressive for a 21 ft. North River Seahawk. Looks like it came factory installed.I also had to go to longer screws to attach it to the dash plate.

Happy wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hi guys,,,,i am looking for a 6-10 switch panle with NO fuses in the panel?..does one exist?...one that has a series of rocker type swtiches in ONE panel(not all single) would be perfect!..i have looked at bluesea and marine west etc but no luck so far! thanks for any help!! larry
    I gotta ask, why no fuses?

Default Fuses

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    In line fuses fail at a much greater rate than any breaker. Also breakers are easy to reset by just pushing a button They are designed to withstand greater changes in amps. The comments made earlier about the switches being daisy chained can also create a problem. When I installed the 2-4 panel breakers, we also installed both a negative and positive bus bar. Then we removed the daisy chain linking the breakers together. Then ran separate wires from the buses to the individual breakers. I never have to shut down anything on my boat to restart the engine eliminating the chance of frying my electronics. Courtesy of the boys at Anchor Electric. When in doubt leave it to the pro's. And be willing to barter for fishing adventures.

Good Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    hi AK..i allready have this unit behind the panel with fuses!....just loking for a nice rack of switches to hookup to it, hopefully just cut one hole and not 8-12!!......those breakers would be nice tho too, hmmmm?.....larry

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    just buy the switches that you want and make your own panel. i think you can use a blue seas panel with the cutouts for the switches. I'll have to look at the catalog at work. I know you can do it,sometimes youjust gotta make it yourself.
    well rooscoak, i think at this point i may have to make my own!!...even went to my local marine guy and he doesnt know of any either,,seems they all come with soem sort of fuse/breaker nowdays??...have a few weeks before i want to do the job, so will keep looking in the mean whil!e ..if i do make my own what do you suggest for a panel?.. larry

I'm not sure how this topic ended in the proverbial ditch. All breakers whether marine, industrial or common household breakers all have resets. The link I gave you earlier is to the Blueseas panel,is designed so you only have to cut (1) hole for the unit and drill six holes for the screws. If by chance one of the switches should fail, you can simply replace the one switch rather than the whole panel. The installation of the panel is simple. Wiring can be difficult if you don't identify the wires prior to disassembling your current fuse panel. Manufacturing your own panel I would think would be a pain in the axx. And unless your highly skilled machinist with ten of thousand of dollars in tools, good luck with the saws-all. Or shell out some money for a cooler to hide your mistakes. I don't like to rant but the electricians that mapped out what I needed, wire million dollar vessels and said this is the best system for my boat and would be considered overkill on a 300,000.00 boat. Don't overthink a simple project, I've already been down that road.

Carry on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tailingloop; 03-16-2009 at 19:34. Reason: to edit

. The link I gave you earlier is to the Blueseas panel,is designed so you only have to cut (1) hole for the unit and drill six holes for the screws. .

hi Tailingloop, the panel you are talking about is PREWIRED and has RESETS!..i am looking for a panel like that with JUST the water proof --rocker type switches!...i have all the wire i need to do the job!.....thanks larry

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hi Tailingloop, the panel you are talking about is PREWIRED and has RESETS!..i am looking for a panel like that with JUST the water proof --rocker type switches!...i have all the wire i need to do the job!.....thanks larry
    I recently rewired my boat, which is a basic riverboat, but the I added this guage and a defroster and pretty soon even it can get complicated.
    We added a bus lug to isolate the ground from the hull and a place to bring the cable from the batteries to tie off too.
    We debated on the fuses as well, I too prefer breakers, however if breakers are tripping or fuses are the blowing the scource of the problem has to be identfied and fixed. I have not had much probs with fuses. My issue was if we should mount some additional dash mount fuses so I wouldnt have to lay down under the dash to find the inline fuse holder.
    See some of the items we added did not run thru the switch panel, such as the new intermitten wiper switch and the 12 v. outlets. I did end up dash mounting the 3 additional fuse holders.
    Once completed I labeled everything so ez to identify.
    Making your own switch panel, (and I am sure you have given it considerable thought) is not that big of a deal, particuarly if you use a switch that fits in a round hole, I bought a lighted Hella switch from power and Transmission (in Fbks) that I think would work great. Probably not a "bonified marine" switch, but am sure it would work well in my application, mostly interior.
    There probably are some marine round switches that would make fabricating a lot simpler, drill a hole and "Viola"................

bcriverhunter,

Polar wire carries the rocker switches but no panels. Everything everyone has posted is the minimum. The main reason is to stop the melting associated with a bad switch cooking everything back to the fuse box...wouldn`t be so bad if all those wires in the dash weren`t zip-tied together for neatness...but they always are. Believe me I thought for a minute what you are thinking about just to make it easier but don`t want to burn anything outside the circuit if one switch fails.

Here`s a panel I popped together today...not at all hard and all components are waterproof. The switches are bi-aluminated so they are white when circuit is good, red when power is on to accessory, and then if they are clear then the whole circuit failed back to the main power supply. This one isn`t just switches but the same applies.

thanks AK2Z!...do all new baots built nowdays have a fuse/breaker near the swtich and again at the panel?...in my case, the wire run will be about 12-15 inches tops from the switches to the panel with fuses!!......anyway, thanks guys--i have taken everybodies words to heart!...sometimes ye just cant get what ye want!!...but--i dont hear the fat lady singing yet!! larry

ps. thanks for he polar wire site!

Couple more pics from the other panel I did today...still missing load wires but you get the idea. I hear what you`re saying about the length of wires though...I`d just hate for anyone to burn down any wires on the water....what a pain in the....

Default marine wiring

bcriver--

Hope it all worked out. Lets see some pics of your handi work. THe electrical shop in Juno>Anchor Electric> has a decent amount of marine electrical stuff including inverters/marine batteries/panels/switches? big ol crabber lites/ etc. He stocks a lot of the blue seas stuff and has catalogs too. Anyway, in the way of safety, whenever you run a wire from the positive battery terminal to the load, the wire must be fused according to the wire size ,at the battery. Alot of oats have burned or had fires because the wires have not been fused properly or at all (both ac and dc). THink Safety!

hmmm. i like those switches too, they may do the trick!.....after i order them crimpers and strippers i will be all set to put it all together!!..thanks all for the help!..the rest is up to me! larry

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Couple more pics from the other panel I did today...still missing load wires but you get the idea. I hear what you`re saying about the length of wires though...I`d just hate for anyone to burn down any wires on the water....what a pain in the....

Maybe try checking out the website....http://www.12voltguy.com He mainly deals in offroad 4x4's but will custom build anything to spec. I'm running one of his 6 rocker winch panels in my 74' Chevy, the guy does top knotch work...maybe get in touch with him via his website and see what he has to say.
    Attached Images Attached Images