Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel price gouging

Default Diesel price gouging

Not sure what the price of Diesel will be at the dock this year but sure itíll be outrageous unless we voice our disgust of this scandal. Back from a resent trip to Seattle I was appalled to see Diesel selling for $2.10 per/gal at the pump. My boats not diesel but my tow vehicle is and it all comes into play. Write your State Senators and House Representative as I have and while your at it send a litter to your daily rag; there is a bill making its way through the Senate making price gouging a crime.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

The Governor's office looked into why the price of fuel was so high up here, higher than Hawaii, a few months back. The answer from the refinery up here was "Because we can". Case closed. Bottom line - no competition.

Bottom line, that price gouging!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Bottom line, that price gouging!
    Problem is it isn't illegal.....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Seems like a huge difference in price. I wonder if we can ship the diesel from Seattle and sell it for a profit in Anchorage. I mean with simple math, if shipping was 10% of the cost and there are no additional taxes levied by the state or city, there would still be a huge margin ( in terms of bulk products like fuel). I would surmise that if you brought it up in 55 gallon drums or other bulk form, selling it would not be a problem here. Diesel in Seattle is $1.85 per gallon. (http://www.seattlegasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D)

Get it here in Anchorage for $2.00 per gallon and sell it wholesale for $2.50. Sell about 1 million gallons per year and you have a nice business...hmmm...

Default Might want to reconsider...

Diesel is $2.99/gallon here today in Eagle River (at the Shell Station). That might help take out the sting...

I was talking to the station owner at lunch time. He said that some time in the next two or three weeks there is going to be a "fifty cent off sale" on diesel. One of the local churches is going to be the sponsor and the station owner guaranteed that his tanks would be FULL prior to the sale. Like all of you I am highly interested in cheaper diesel. I'm just suspect any time that somebody implies that we're being gouged. If this were so it would just make it easy for someone else to exploit that weakness and to sell cheap fuel for profit.

does #1 usually cost a little more? Do they run #1 in Seattle? I've been paying $2.92 for #1 all winter......still too darn high if you ask me...lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

My brother paid $1.95 in Bozeman this week. Unleaded was $1.89. There is over a $1.00 difference in between diesel and unleaded up here. I don't get it. At least we could get a little smoochey smoochey before we get screwed.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Learned from Uncle Sam

My take is the oil companys took a good look at taxes.
    When the gov raises taxes it does it in a way the individual does not have it staring him in the face when he pays it. sales tx fuel tx income tx ect. all gets paid without the individual writing the gov a check
    The oil companys took note and raised fuel prices untill everyone was up set, gas being higher then diesel, then they made everyone happy by lowering the price at the pump but now diesel is higher then gas.
    Everyone pays the higher diesel price in the goods they buy that were transported by ship, train, truck, plane, but most are happy the price of gas is cheaper then diesel.

Default high diesel

That's fine to contact your elected officials, but they in fact caused your problem. The difference in refining hepd into ULSD is a bunch. Not every refinery can do it yet. You (our) legislators are the folks who lowered the PPM to the rediculus level of 15!
    Mike

I thought that the increase in diesel cost was to refine it ULSD...yeah, less sulphur but less MPG, so we use more fuel..is there really any decrease in pollution by using ULSD instead of LSD?...you can't get something for nothing...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Some miner freinds of mine are getting off road diesel for $2.05 per gallon.... delivered. Not close to a town either. We are getting screwed.

Default Off road diesel

Does anybody really know if there is a difference between "off road " and station diesel? Dirtofak is right. A friend of mine is having it delivered to his shop for construction equipment for less than $2 per gallon. He said I could fill my boat tanks for his cost. At 180 gallons for a fillup, I am seriously considering it as long as it does not foul up my KAD43. Anybody in the know???????????????

Default Heating Oil

My guess it is heating oil that they are getting.

Default get over it

It's human nature to be "group mad" at someone or something beyond your control. This diesel thing is exactly that. Were all incensed over this and yet as I mentioned earlier the people you voted for are who's to blame NOT AN OIL COMPANY! You did vote didn't you? Shame on you if you didn't.

Here we are living in Alaska, obviously oblivious to how good weve got it, maybe suffering a little cabin fever, whining about something trivial! Look at the brite side, it's a LOT less than last year.

Go out and burn some and when you get back from your trip, if the only thing you can remember is how much fuel cost, your in it for the wrong reasons. Your grandkids could care less what the fuel cost!

P.S, next time you fill up, spill some on the ground, my bonus will be grateful!
    Mike

Who you voted for has absolutely nothing to do with the price of fuels.

The price of fuel is set by the refiner, distributors, and dealers. These decision processes don't go anywhere near a government legislative body.

Keep in mind many of us have a genuine education, run businesses, and interact with people on a daily basis without talking down to any of them.

You state your beliefs as if they are facts, condensending to anyone who doesn't "get it" like you do.

Sounds all-to-familiar, and frankly, a little bit stale...

I was in Tulsa last week. Diesel $1.76. I did a doubletake.

Default your right, I don't get it!

Do you think all the refiners just sat down one day and decided, gee, lets start making ulsd because it will be better for the environment? Or gee, we can charge the crap out of them and win public appeal?

I don't think so. What business owner wants to work harder for less of a return on their product. The world sickled along just fine for years with the fuel of the day and we'd still be there if legislation had not changed the standard!

Reguarding education, how much of the earlier post's do you believe as "fact"?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Who you voted for has absolutely nothing to do with the price of fuels.

The price of fuel is set by the refiner, distributors, and dealers. These decision processes don't go anywhere near a government legislative body.

Keep in mind many of us have a genuine education, run businesses, and interact with people on a daily basis without talking down to any of them.

You state your beliefs as if they are facts, condensending to anyone who doesn't "get it" like you do.

Sounds all-to-familiar, and frankly, a little bit stale...
    So, then, can you please explain why there is such a disparity between gas and diesel here? The difference in the lesser 48 is minimal, like pennies, while here it is +/- a buck. I agree to a point with your comment about education, but a lot of education is not book/school based. It is experiencial. I have a tough time referring to PHD's as doctors. When they call me on it, my response is quite often: "if I lop a finger off, can you sew it back on?" I have 200 or so under grad credits and 70+ grad credits. Does that make me educated/smarter? Nope! I just need the credits to climb the salary ladder for the school district. I am not trying to be confrontational. It is just my two cents and you can have it for free!
    Last edited by spoiled one; 03-14-2009 at 11:43. Reason: fat fingered the keys
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The big issue is that there is no competition with fuel here in AK. Price is set to make profit, and until someone challenging that price or is capable of getting it up here cheaper, the prices will remain roughly the same.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast