Thread: Sauerkraut?

Thumbs up Sauerkraut?

My wife makes sauerkraut twice a year. Once in the fall out of cabbage from the garden and once in March when it's on sale for St. Patricks day.

I'm just wondering how many other people here make it.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    My wife makes sauerkraut twice a year. Once in the fall out of cabbage from the garden and once in March when it's on sale for St. Patricks day.

I'm just wondering how many other people here make it.
    I have never made it but would love to learn how. I just love the stuff, put it on some home made moose or bear brats. MMMMMMMMM

Thumbs up

You better believe it. That anemic store bought stuff isn't even close to homemade.
    Chuck

Default Kraut

How about posting the recipe?
    I would like to try and make it.

RD

Default Sauerkraut

Last fall was my first time for canning sauerkraut and here's a recipe I used that I got from a friend.

Need: at least a 3 gallon ceramic crock pot
    shredded cabbage
    canning salt

1 pound shredded cabbage
    3/4 tablespoon canning salt

Layer these two ingredients in the crock pot. After each layer, press it down into crock pot with either fist or potatoe masher.

Keep doing this until cabbage (and salt) is used.

Make sure you have as much juice on top as possible.

When done, cover with cloth (flour sack or linen). Put a plate on top of cloth with a weight to hold it down so cabbage is covered with juice. (I used a gallon ice cream bucket with water in it for weight.)

Change cloth every day. Skim off any top skum if necessary. Be sure to put plate and bucket back on. Crock can sit on counter at room temperature.

Do this for 16 to 18 days.

When ready to can, remove plate and weight and stir up cabbage in crock. You'll need a pretty sturdy spoon because of the packed cabbage.

Put cabbage into pint jars,leaving room for 1 inch of liquid on top. Press down in jar lightly. Add juice, or water, to fill jar to ring (about an inch from top of jar).

If you like garlic, we put a heaping teaspoon of minched garlic on top. This turned out very good. (When you open the jar, stir it up so garlic is not all on top.)

Wipe off top of jar, put on lid and sealing ring. Can using water bath for 15 minutes. Remove from water bath and let seal (listen for popping lids).

I used about 25 pounds of cabbage and I got about 15 pint jars of sauerkraut.

Our family found that this was a little salty. Taste your canned sauerkraut and see if you like it. If it's too salty, rinse once with water. This fall, we'll probably rinse the cabbage a little before we can -- we're a family of trial and error and if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Enjoy!

My wife makes in in pint jars inside a big cooler. That does way with having to mess withe cloth as mentioned above. The she "cans" it in the jars. I know it's just cabbage, salt and salt water. She has used at least ten pounds of cabbage at a time so we get at least 20 pints.
    I'll ask here what the combination is and post back.
    - Frank Zappa

When I was a kid we would make it by shreadding the cabage and placing in either pint or quart jars. Then boil water. while boiling water put 1 tablespoon of salt and one of sugar (quart jar) in each jar. Once the water boils fill each jar and put lid and ring on them. Let them sit in a place where it will not hurt when they overflow while working. After 2-3 weeks they will finish working and you will have sauerkraut. You can them move them to the cabinet with out a worry.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Cool Great stuff....

We never had a kraut cutter, so a good sharp knife worked.We made it in 5 gallon buckets, and held the Kraut down about 3", and put a double plastic bag inside the bucket and flooded it,then fold the bag over the bucket.It sealed the kraut, and would keep all winter.All that salt, wouldn't freeze.Just lift the bags, get what you wanted, and replace the bags.Some times it grew fur, but it was harmless.GR

Default started a batch

I helped my wife for the first time last night to start a batch.
    Here's the recipe she uses from a Better Homes and Gardens Home Canning Cookbook:

For 5 pounds of cabbage, shredded.
    Sprinkle 3 1/2 TBS of salt over the cabbage and mix well.
    Let stand for 30-60 minutes to wilt. Pack firmly into jars leaving 2" headspace. Fill with cold water leaving 1/2" headspace. Adjust lids, screwing bands tight.
    We put the jars into a big cooler in the house. There will be some overflow during the fermentation.
    Keep the cabbage covered with brine. If necessary add more brine made by adding 1 1/2 TBS of salt in 1 quart of water.
    Sauerkraut is ready to can in 6-8 weeks. Clean rims of jars, replacing lids if necessary, screw bands tight. Set jars in water-bath canner filled with cold water. Water should extend 2" above jars. Bring water slowly to boiling. Process sauerkraut (either pints or quarts) 30 minutes. Makes 7 pints.

Last night we started with about 12 pounds of cabbage in wide mouth pint jars. We'll end up with 14-15 pints when it's done. Now I'm thinking about brats from Mr. Prime Beef.
    - Frank Zappa

My friend Nellie made kraut with baby carrots. The best stuff ever - once it's soaked and cooked and butter added, of course.

A simple family recipe we have is to take the kraut, rinse it repeatedly until the majority of the smell disipates.

Next in a large skillet combine a quarter lb of butter, melt it down then add a medium onion (chopped or diced), 2-4 cloves of garlic (smashed), and a pinch of salt. Then saute onions until translucent.

Next add in 3 apples (cored and chopped), 4 tbl brown sugar, and then cook until the apples are tender.Also add 1 tbl of whole caraway seeds.

Add the kraut (32 oz by volume) to the mix and heat throughout, once hot add 2 eggs and beat them into the mix, pull from heat, pepper to taste and mix thoroughly.

Serve and enjoy!

I have turned many anti-kraut people into kraut lovers with this recipe and make it several times a year, its delicious!