Thread: new model black hawk mods

Default new model black hawk mods

so i have that 41 mag black hawk i was wondering if there our any common mods or upgrades for it that people have done and liked i was given the gun and have some extra cash to put into it so is there any issues that it has had that people have had takein care of

Get a good leather holster for it. Look at Simply Rugged or Diamond D for good leather, money well spent!
    http://www.simplyrugged.com/

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/

They are about as solid from Ruger as a gun gets, but you can trick anything. How you trick it would be completely a matter of your taste and what kind of shooting you want to do with it.

Andy

I polished the moving parts and installed a Wolf spring kit, a Super Blackhawk hammer and a Belt Mountain base pin...had the cylinder throats checked and reamed...all on my .45 colt BH

SOme people like to to some trigger work on them.

i was wondering what was the bennifit im still new to pistol mods so any information woould be nice

I put different grips on mine, the 'gunfighter' style, they are a bit thinner that OEM grips. Also the Belt Mountain base pin, and I modified the pawl so the cylinder will spin both directions.

The things I like to do to Ruger Blackhawk are put in a Wolfe spring kit, trigger, hammer and cylinder latch springs. I put in a reversing pawl and Belt mountain base pin, or cylinder pin. I then will stone the trigger to get a good pull. I alsolike the super blackhawk hammer wider and lower setting hammer. This is about $30 the other parts will be about $60 for the springs, pawl and basepin.

I don't see reamers to cut the throats of the 41 but Ihave two and they are .4105"ish and I use .410 hard cast in them and that works fine.

Smoother actions and slicker operation is always nice and crisp triggers make good shots easier. The reversable pawl allows the cylinder to be reversed during loading and that is very convevient and easier to load. The base pin upgrade makes a stronger latch with a locking screw. The original can shake loose under heavy recoil.

The throat reaming is to allow correct size cast bullets, correct for the groove diameter of the barrel, to be used in the cylinder. Under sized throats will swage the bullet down smaller and that is a big cause of leading with cast bullets and in accuracy. Also if the thoats of the cylinder are too small certain cast bullets will not go into the chambers even correctly sized for the barrel. A problem with some Ruger Blackhawks is that usually only one of the cylinders is over or undersized and makes for a bad shot from that cylinder. Still causing leading but just form one cylinder so not so bad. I have the reamer for cutting 44 and 45 throats on order now but haven't found one for the .4105" that I would need for 41 mag. That's about all I know about it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Ditto Murphy...

Belt Mountain base pin
    Wolf Springs (go light with the hammer and work your way stiffer until reliable ignition)
    Free spin pawl
    Half moon ejector rod
    Bisley hammer.

also buy a spare screw set and hammer block safety (so far as I know, I am the only one who has ever had one break..... but still)
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

what would ba a good baseline to start at with the springs

Just go to Midway or Brownell's web site and order a spring kit for the model gun you have and you will get 3 springs...a trigger, hammer strut coil spring and a base pin latch spring...may as well put the Belt Mountain base pin in while yer at it...use a screwdriver that fits the screw heads or you will bugger them up

I don't know about the rest of you but I can't stand to have no room on th grip for my pinky finger. The Hogue Mono Grip solved this problem.

Also buy yourself a Ruger Single Six 22 and set it up the same as your 41. Then shoot the heck out of it. Even though it is lighter than the 41 it still points and feels much the same. You'll be surprised how much better it will make you with your 41 .

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you but I can't stand to have no room on th grip for my pinky finger.
    I like my little finger under the grip to help bring the gun back into shoothin position as I recock the hammer. I love the stock Blackhawk wood.

Andy

i have been thinking of doin just that

A trigger job and that gun will do 1" or A LOT LESS at 50 yd's. No need to spend big. Do NOT lighten the hammer spring, in fact an over power Wolfe variable spring is better for accuracy. You can get the trigger to 1-1/2# to 2# with a strong hammer spring.
    Just getting reliable ignition is NOT the way to go, leave the spring strong.
    The very worst thing to do is lighten the mainspring to get a light trigger.
    This is what a Ruger will do at 100 yd's. I called the low shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images