Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is best gun

Default Which is best gun

I really need to know which is best gun for fishing and hiking, is it the srh alaskan or something else???? thanks

I don't shoot fish or trails, so I am at a loss, but the SRH Alaskan is a good piece. I have one.

The Remington 870 works well on fish...

Don't rule out a bow and tethered arrow, you can shoot pike from a canoe.

Default More Questions and then My Answer

What do you mean by the "Best"? Best for self defense against brown bears? Best for the weight of the gun? Cost no object? Best for all around carry, including concealed?

I am not making fun of your question--I am just letting you know that there are hundreds of good options out there, from 15 shot semi-auto handguns to super powerful revolvers, to extremely light weight handguns of many descriptions. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages, and each person will have individual preferences that make the decision change.

You don't want to trust your life to a gun you aren't comfortable shooting. You don't want to carry a seven pound revolver, unless it is also replacing an eight pound rifle as your hunting weapon. Choose a gun powerful enough to really make a difference in an emergency, and then shoot it enough to gain familiarity and confidence in the gun and your shooting ability with it.

All that being said, my favorite Alaskan carry handgun is a Smith & Wesson model 329PD with Laser Grips. It is very, very light for a .44 magnum, so recoil is pretty unpleasant. It is amazingly accurate, and you can practice with .44 Special ammo, which is cheaper and has far less recoil. Lots of ammo types are available. It is far from inexpensive, but guns of this quality do hold their value very well. WalMart in Eagle River had them at $779 recently, and then if you want the coolest upgrade around, add Laser Grips for about $230 more. I have never shot a handgun that I liked as well as I like this one. It is truly a pleasure to carry with me, thanks to the light weight, and it is PRETTY!

Best Regards,
    Jim

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

MY GUN is the BEST gun.

That wouldn't explain why I have more than one gun though, so that's not the most credible statement I've ever made.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

The Smith and Wesson Model 500 with 4" barrel is my choice for bear protection on float trips. If you are a decent sized fellow and/or have good sized hands, this would be my suggestion.

Also, the Ruger Alaskan 454 is a nice choice. Much less power than the S&W 500, but it should be good enough. My buddy has one and I like it alot. But it is not a 500.

Honestly, either would make fine bear protection revolvers. But with that said, we need to realize that a 870 with 18.5" barrel and slugs or a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 will better serve the average person.

If you decide on a revolver as your sole means of protection, spend lots of time practicing with it. You need to rely on reflexes if and when the time comes that you need it.

Avoidance is the best bear protection
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    MY GUN is the BEST gun.

That wouldn't explain why I have more than one gun though, so that's not the most credible statement I've ever made.
    Smitty of the North
    ALL my guns are the best gun!

See how that works Smitty?

My choice is S&W 460V, 4 inch and shoots 460 s&w-mag, or 454 Casull, or 45 Long Colt. So it shoots the 2nd most powerful production handgun round in the world, or a very powerful 454 like a plinking round, or a 45LC equal to a 44mag that’s like a 22mag for recoil. Not cheap, but I sure love it and love to shoot it all I can. She’s heavy and got to be to take the abuse it gets as well as not rip your hand off, but it packs just fine in a chest rig. I like the ability to shoot all the different ammo and that’s why I have a 460 and not a 500.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by sockeyerob View Post
    I really need to know which is best gun for fishing and hiking, is it the srh alaskan or something else???? thanks

It is ALWAYS "Something else", it is the grass is greener syndrome, or Madison Avenue "Got'ya". What ever you buy, someone in two years will have a new improved, shorter, lighter, rust-proof, run-fast, super'duper, gooder model, and you will feel under gunned.....

That said, the reality is that some OLD geezers, managed to make it work for 50+ years in the field with the "SAME" ratty, old, geriatric, Winchester Model 70 with Lyman # 48 or #57 Receiver sight......day after day, year after year........

I like my SRH Alaskan but truth is mosst any handgun than will push a 200grain+ bullet at 1,100 fps will help.You will with luck 99.99% of the time just carry it unless of course you decide you might want to try handgun hunting also in which case you will then just be carrying it 99.95% of the time

sockeyerob,

If you you're asking which is the best gun for defense while out in the bush, I think it depends. Several of the guns mentioned here are popular: S&W 329PD, Ruger Alaskan in .454, S&W 460 in 5", and S&W 500 in 4". The 329 is the lightest, the 460 & 500 are the most powerful but the most heavy, and the Alaskan is in the middle ground with power & weight. I've heard that all of them have some impressive recoil, but I wouldn't know; I think a stainless steel .44 magnum with a 6" barrel is enough gun for hiking.

Your choice should be based on which calibers you can handle best, and how much weight you're willing to carry. If you're a quick, accurate shot with .357 but not experienced with anything larger, then .357 should be your current choice. If you can handle .500 s&w, then more power to ya.

My main advice is to check out the conditions in the area you plan on fishing or hiking in, and pack accordingly. In some areas I'd really want to have a large rifle handy, but in others, a dinky pocketgun is plenty. Some of the smaller islands have no bears at all, while in many areas you'll come across bear sign every dozen yards. Fish & Game should know.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default Ruger Alaskan Illegal to Cross Canada to Alaska

Just bought a 454 Alaskan and a Rob Leahy Chesty Puller custom made Holster (made in Alaska) for protection while fishing in the Rockies and Alaska. But found out I cant Pass Through The Peoples Republic Of Canada as its barrel is under 4" and is a prohibited weapon.

Its hard enough to get the paperwork passed just to get a handgun into Canada. I just want to drive the Alaskan Highway and get through that moron country as fast as I can legally drive.

Their legislature made a database of handguns to catch the bad guys. But they put the name , and serial number as the keys. Little did they know that Smith and Wesson uses the same serial numbers for different models and different calibers so their data wont stand up in a court of law.
    But its sure good to harass gunowners and arrest them for incorrect firearms storage.

I'm mad. Just spent close to $1000 for the gun and the custom holster.

Now I need to get a Redhawk 4" 44 mag or 45 colt. I'm tempted to take the ferry and bring the Alaskan or buy a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 with Garett hammerheads...

Any advice........

Default HA

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    MY GUN is the BEST gun.

Smitty of the North

My gun is bigger and better than your gun Smitty and ADFIELDS gun; or both of them put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFPFsbI6O1E
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyerob View Post
    Just bought a 454 Alaskan and a Rob Leahy Chesty Puller custom made Holster (made in Alaska) for protection while fishing in the Rockies and Alaska. But found out I cant Pass Through The Peoples Republic Of Canada as its barrel is under 4" and is a prohibited weapon.

Its hard enough to get the paperwork passed just to get a handgun into Canada. I just want to drive the Alaskan Highway and get through that moron country as fast as I can legally drive.

Their legislature made a database of handguns to catch the bad guys. But they put the name , and serial number as the keys. Little did they know that Smith and Wesson uses the same serial numbers for different models and different calibers so their data wont stand up in a court of law.
    But its sure good to harass gunowners and arrest them for incorrect firearms storage.

I'm mad. Just spent close to $1000 for the gun and the custom holster.

Now I need to get a Redhawk 4" 44 mag or 45 colt. I'm tempted to take the ferry and bring the Alaskan or buy a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 with Garett hammerheads...

Any advice........
    FLY!

Or get an S&W 460V, it's got a 4" barrel and add an inch for the compensator (1-1/8" for the led bullet one.) It works well in bear defense and is a very good hunting gun. With mine scoped up for hunting, shooting off cross sticks I can hit very well at 100 yards and would not hastate to take a 150 yard shot at a moose, elk, or mule deer. With the gain twist rifling it is by far the most accurate handgun I have ever shot!

Andy

Default Best Gun

The best gun for fishing and hiking is the one you are willing and will carry with you. Lots of good suggestions have already been made and like most persons you will have to balance weight and size against the caliber you are able to comfortably and accurately shoot. Personally I purchased a 44 mag (Colt Anaconda) because as previously mentioned, the gun will handle any animal in Alaska, it will also shoot 44 special ammo and its comfortable to shoot without being excessively heavy for me. Read the advice here, try some of the firearms and then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmaverick View Post

The best gun for fishing and hiking is the one you are willing and will carry with you.

Read the advice here, try some of the firearms and then decide.

Great advice given there. If you don't have the gun on/with you, it won't help a bit.

And knowing how much gun you can control and shoot accurately is very important.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default What I did

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyerob
    Ruger Alaskan Illegal to Cross Canada to Alaska
    (edited for brevity)
    Rob,

When I transferred to Alaska, I drove and took my guns with me. I turned my guns over to a FFL dealer in Great Falls, Montana and picked them up when I got to Anchorage.

No muss, no fuss, no question of legality.

Other threads have discussed the intricacies of shipping a gun through Common Carriers, Federal Express, UPS, etc. What with all the confusion where employees of the shippers don't know their own companies' policies, the FFL solution looks better and better to me.

Lost Sheep.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I theenk, your question boils down to what are the Considerations for the BEST Gun for Bear Protection, while fishing and hiking?

They are, adequate power, ability to shoot accurately, the ability to shoot multiple shots in an expeditious manner, DA or SA, and LASTLY, ease of carry.

I have considered all the above, and have very graciously decided to give you the benefit of my ďconsideredĒ advice.

Donít get CARRIED away, so to speak. Dream too many dreams. Create too many Scenarios.

I assume you are talking about a Handgun, but in any case, you need one and always keep it with you.

* Get a 44 Magnum revolver.
    * Use Cast Bullets, the heavier the better.
    * Get a holster, and not a nylon bag to carry it in.
    * Practice with the Ammo, you will use, for protection, not something, like 44 Specials, unless you want to use 44 Specials, in which case, thatís OK.

* Donít get a handgun that shoots a bigger cartridge than 44 Magnum. (They recoil too much to be practical for defensive purposes.)

* Donít get a Light-Weight gun like the S&W 329 PD. (They recoil too much to be practical for defensive purposes.)

* Donítí get one with a barrel shorter, than 4 inches, at MINIMUM. 5 to 6 inches, or even more is better.

Good Fishing, Good Hiking, and may all bears tremble in fear and beat a hasty retreat from your ominous presence.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sockeyerob View Post
    I would recommend using Smitty's gun. Make sure he is with you though so you can shoot him in the knee if you get charged. Out running the other guy is always the best option....

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

The Smith and Wesson Model 500 with 4" barrel is my choice for bear protection on float trips. If you are a decent sized fellow and/or have good sized hands, this would be my suggestion.

Also, the Ruger Alaskan 454 is a nice choice. Much less power than the S&W 500, but it should be good enough. My buddy has one and I like it alot. But it is not a 500.

Honestly, either would make fine bear protection revolvers. But with that said, we need to realize that a 870 with 18.5" barrel and slugs or a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 will better serve the average person.

If you decide on a revolver as your sole means of protection, spend lots of time practicing with it. You need to rely on reflexes if and when the time comes that you need it.

Avoidance is the best bear protection
    Dont listen to this guy, he dont know a muzzle from a breech. But he is good to have with you because he is easy to outrun without shooting him in the knee...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast