Thread: Radio question...

Default Radio question...

The boat I recently bought has only a CB radio in it.
    I thought most everybody used VHF? My last big boat had a VHF.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks, guys.

Depends on who you want to talk to. Most folks I know have both CB & VHF. The VHF is more for "official" marine communications. The CB is for chatting it up with other boaters. Perhaps the previous owner of your boat used a handheld VHF? That's pretty common amongst smaller boats.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You probably already know this but I'll say it anyway. The VHF is not required gear but is strongly recommended by the USCG. The Coast Guard doesn't monitor the CB so any distress calls will only be picked up by other boaters. that have a CB and tuned the your channel.

Default Which is best?

I have a CB and an Icom VHF on my Valdez boat. I'm looking at getting a handheld VHF just in case. Worst case scenario: I make my mayday from the permanent mounted radio as my boat goes down, I'm forced to jump into my inflatable and make for shore, my radio just went down with the boat. If I have a handheld clipped to my vest I can talk with emergency responders from the inflatable.
    I'm looking in the West Marine catalog and on line. What would be the best quality, most dependable hand held unit? Any inputs?

Tealer, CB is just another tool to use. I am a huge proponent of using both a fixed VHF and having a handheld for exactly what you are talking about. If you have to abandon ship and you don't have a means of communicating with rescuers, it could be a long cold ride waiting for someone to find you. I recommend one of the Icom handhelds. I have had excellent results with the Icom IC-M88 and love it.

Thanks guys!
    I'm getting a handheld VHS to go with the CB. I'll take a peek at the Icom.

Default Not ICOM

Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    What would be the best quality, most dependable hand held unit? Any inputs?
    My "waterproof" ICOM took a dump on me. The factory wouldn't repair or replace it, said it was full of corrosion. I took it apart (nothing to lose now) and it was shiny bright, no corrosion. My radio has never been submersed, only lots of spray hitting it while clipped to the wind screen of my center console.
    Scott (?) at Glacier Craft told me to go with Standard, it is a better handheld radio. I'm looking for a deal on one now.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

We "downgraded" our radios at work from Motorola to Icom (cost was the motivation). Bad decision IMHO. The Icom radios do not stand up to typical daily abuse in the outdoor world. The Icoms seem to last about a year or two before they need to go to the radio shop for repair or replacement. The old Motorolas rarely ever had a problem and would take just about anything you could dish out as far as abuse.

That said, if you take good care of the equipment, then an Icom will work just as well as any of them. Functionally they are just fine. The weakness is in the construction.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Smile be safe....

You can't be to safe. I quite often have several family members on my boat. So I have a VHF, a hand held VHF with antena, cell phones, satelite phone and have my sights set on an EPIRB. I also have the GPS and a hand held GPS. If I have to holler for help I want to be able to say where I am. Be safe.