Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner

Default Beginner

My wife and I will be moving up to Sitka as soon as we are done with school. I have been looking into the all the fishing and hunting you can do around Sitka.

I live currently in Idaho and have never been on the ocean. Imagine that... I have definately been on rivers and lakes.

What is the best advice you would give to someone moving up to AK and wanting to learn how to run a boat on the ocean?

The two boats I have been looking at are Weldcraft Ocean King and the Hewescraft Alaskan.

Thanks,
    Sean

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

bout everyone in sitka owns a boat. talk to the locals and ask about the safe waters you can tool around in till you start to get more comfortable and venture out a bit. id wait to buy a boat till you get there. probably pick up a pretty nice boat for alot cheaper than a new one. offer to pitch in on fuel as well, lots of guys dont mind taking someone out if there willing to split the bill.

Talking

I think that one of the first and best things to do is take the Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Skills and Seamanship course. I have been boating for a few years and just finished the one put on in Homer and it was will worth the time. A wealth of info. You will also met other boaters of the area and make friends with the Coast Guard Aux, these are a great bunch of people and more than willing to help out with your personal boating question. It is also good to be acquainted with them as they might have to come and save your a?? some day if something goes bad out on the water.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Bunkerbean,

I don't think you will find any better info than what is in the first two responses to your original question - they are both dead on. Ocean boating is a way different beast than lakes and rivers. Take Blue Thunder's advice about the Coast Guard's class - it could save your life! Also take akriverrat's advice about spending some time figuring out which type of boat you will be REALLY happy with. Sitka has some great salmon fishing very close to port and you could do that with a skiff but if you want to do some halibut fishing or crabbing, you will have to travel further out. Figure out if you want to overnight on your boat if you're going way out (with what kind of comforts you and your wife require) and also try out fiberglass vs aluminum boats for the differences in handling the saltwater and comfort features. I spent 2 years in Sitka on a job and the people there were some of the nicest I've ever met in Ak. You'll be able to find locals who will take you out on all kinds of boats to help you decide what is right for you. And as 'rat said, there are plenty of used boats for sale in SE Alaska.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    bout everyone in sitka owns a boat. talk to the locals and ask about the safe waters you can tool around in till you start to get more comfortable and venture out a bit. id wait to buy a boat till you get there. probably pick up a pretty nice boat for alot cheaper than a new one. offer to pitch in on fuel as well, lots of guys dont mind taking someone out if there willing to split the bill.
    Thank you for the response. I figured I would wait a year or two after living there before I took the plunge. I have been keeping my eye on the different boats on craigslist. Just for eye candy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I think that one of the first and best things to do is take the Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Skills and Seamanship course. I have been boating for a few years and just finished the one put on in Homer and it was will worth the time. A wealth of info. You will also met other boaters of the area and make friends with the Coast Guard Aux, these are a great bunch of people and more than willing to help out with your personal boating question. It is also good to be acquainted with them as they might have to come and save your a?? some day if something goes bad out on the water.
    You know I was messing around on the Coast Guard website trying to find anything about classes offered. I think that would be exactly what I am looking for. Do you have a link or anything I can look at for the classes?

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Bunkerbean,

I don't think you will find any better info than what is in the first two responses to your original question - they are both dead on. Ocean boating is a way different beast than lakes and rivers. Take Blue Thunder's advice about the Coast Guard's class - it could save your life! Also take akriverrat's advice about spending some time figuring out which type of boat you will be REALLY happy with. Sitka has some great salmon fishing very close to port and you could do that with a skiff but if you want to do some halibut fishing or crabbing, you will have to travel further out. Figure out if you want to overnight on your boat if you're going way out (with what kind of comforts you and your wife require) and also try out fiberglass vs aluminum boats for the differences in handling the saltwater and comfort features. I spent 2 years in Sitka on a job and the people there were some of the nicest I've ever met in Ak. You'll be able to find locals who will take you out on all kinds of boats to help you decide what is right for you. And as 'rat said, there are plenty of used boats for sale in SE Alaska.

Dave
    Dave that has been some of the things I have certainly thought about. I am an outdoor nut. So really I would like to do all that I can, crabbing, shrimping, halibut, salmon, rockfish. I am not sure about the overnight thing. That would be a comfort thing with the ocean. I think at some point I might like it. Maybe travel for hunting would be an option?

Here is a link. Look at the link on left for "Take a Boating Course."
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Am I just not seeing the link?

So what criteria did you guys use in picking your boats. I have been reading a lot of the twin vs. single battle. There seems to be alot of manufactures of boats. What made you choose which?

Is radar necessary? Will it help you avoid a bad situation getting stuck in crappy seas?

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary class

I'd recommend you take the boating class when you get to Sitka; the instructors are top-notch and have the benefit of local knowlege. Call Mike Morris in Sitka at 907-747-8039. Mike is perhaps the best instructor out there and teaches boating safety professionally for the Alaska Marine Safety Education Association as well. You're going to love Sitka! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    I'd recommend you take the boating class when you get to Sitka; the instructors are top-notch and have the benefit of local knowlege. Call Mike Morris in Sitka at 907-747-8039. Mike is perhaps the best instructor out there and teaches boating safety professionally for the Alaska Marine Safety Education Association as well. You're going to love Sitka! Mike
    That is what I am thinking. I just can't get done with my degree soon enough. Thank you so much for the contact and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkerbean View Post
    My wife and I will be moving up to Sitka as soon as we are done with school. I have been looking into the all the fishing and hunting you can do around Sitka.

I live currently in Idaho and have never been on the ocean. Imagine that... I have definately been on rivers and lakes.

What is the best advice you would give to someone moving up to AK and wanting to learn how to run a boat on the ocean?

The two boats I have been looking at are Weldcraft Ocean King and the Hewescraft Alaskan.

Thanks,
    Sean
    1. Talk to people that have been going out where you plan to boat for a long time. They will give you great info on where to avoid, Tides, and other info

2. Go out with people and learn first hand.

3. Take a CG course. This is most important.

4. Nasty weather Don't risk it. The fish will always be there tomorrow.

5. One you get your boat take it out and get the feel for it before you take it out a long ways. Find out what it can and can't do.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

That is some great advice. If I may ask what boat/s do you have? And what do you use them for specifically.

That is some great advice. If I may ask what boat/s do you have? And what do you use them for specifically.
    \

Hewes Craft 26

Fishing
    Hunting
    sight seeing
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Check your PM

Bunkerbean: I PM'd you about an hour ago. Check the welcome box with your name (Bunkerbean) in it, top right corner of page, click on "private messages".

Hewes Alaskan 26'
    Twin Honda 135's
    Fishing
    Hunting wannabe
    Hauling to Cabin
    Sight seeing
    Heading back to resupply cabin!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    \

Hewes Craft 26

Fishing
    Hunting
    sight seeing
    How do you like the Hewes craft? I have been going back and forth between that and the Glacier craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Bunkerbean: I PM'd you about an hour ago. Check the welcome box with your name (Bunkerbean) in it, top right corner of page, click on "private messages".

Hewes Alaskan 26'
    Twin Honda 135's
    Fishing
    Hunting wannabe
    Hauling to Cabin
    Sight seeing
    Heading back to resupply cabin!
    Ron thank you for the PM. Replied.

I like the idea of the twin Hondas versus the Yamaha 115's. Course I have no real experience with either.

Welcome to the forum, Bunkerbean.
    Great thread and great repies here.

I'm also a beginner to the ocean boating thing.
    I've done some Ocean fishing but it was usually a charter situation in Alaska. I used my Avon raft in Valdez and Homer a couple of times.

I just bought a boat and will be hitting the big water (coast of B.C.) this summer.
    I'll be taking the CG class soon.

From whence in Idaho do you hail? We left Fairbanks, AK for St. Maries, ID. two years ago...

You'll enjoy Sitka, but don't forget that raingear!

Frank

How do you like the Hewes craft? I have been going back and forth between that and the Glacier craft.
    Glacier crafts are one of the top of the line Aluminum boats made , but will come with a hefty price tag.

Hewes makes a great boat for the price.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast