Thread: Some help on .308 loads please

Default Some help on .308 loads please

Hey all,
    I was able to score some H414 and several hundred Winchester 147gr FMJ's and Win large rifle primers. I don't seem to have any coresponding load data for this. Anyone have some loads using these? Brass is Federal once fired and will be fully re-sized for use in my FAL.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Mountaintrekker

Hodgdon has load information on bullets 155gr and heavier.

Example:

155gr Sierra HPBT COL 2.775 loads ranging from 48gr - 51gr. More research is necessary before using this information.

Default H414 in an FAL 308

In all my 308 data I can’t find H414 used with less than a 155 grain bullet. To me this suggests it is not a very good choice for the lighter bullets, but I have never used it at all so just a guess. I like IMR-4895 or H4895 best for the 308 of all the powders I have used so far but I like to experiment every so often also.

I think I would use the 155gr. data of 48 to 51 grains of H414 under your lighter 147gr fmj bullet and Winchester #120 primers. Start light with the 48 grains working to 51 and maybe you will find a sweet load. The 8 grain lighter bullet should be fine within these numbers. I have no idea how well it will do soplease report back whatever you find out.

Here is a address for Hodgdon, you may find more there.
    http://www.hodgdon.com/

Andy

Well,
    I wound up trading my H414 to a guy for a pound of IMR4064. Now I'm in business! So, no load data for 147gr with 414...sorry. Thanks for the replies though.

Mountaintrekker