Thread: Bullet Performance Results

Default Bullet Performance Results

I think this is the most comprehensive bullet study on terminal ballistics I've ever read and the results are; WELL . Read for yourself !

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/b...s/methods.html
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

That article has created lots of debate
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default YEP

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    That article has created lots of debate
    I'm sure; but since the aurthor really doesn't seem to have an axe to grind. There is a lot of usable info in it, IF you read it : It's kind of long.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I'm sure; but since the aurthor really doesn't seem to have an axe to grind. There is a lot of usable info in it, IF you read it : It's kind of long.
    I have read it three times (I needed to so I could have a grasp of what he was saying). Good stuff, some stuff I still have to think about and some stuff that I believe warrants debate, but I am not proficient enough in the field to lead a debate. No one person has a grasp of that subject. So I try and read qualified men who write articles and do research so I can at least feel I am in the ball park (I am in the stands, eating pop corn not on the playing field ).
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default True

Few people have the means and/or time to spend at the bench complileing info on the ever changeing world of projectiles. Fewer have the means and time to spend chaseing enough animals to acheive a quanitative analysis of projectiles in living targets; To that end I just popped some more popcorn. Seventh inning stretch, bring on the big hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    .... No one person has a grasp of that subject.
    You have never met me

The article noted something like 49" of Penetration with a 300 grain solid out of a 375 H&H....Thats the reason it has been the single greatest cartridge in the last 75+ years. Most African guides will tell you that a 300 grain solid is a welcome sight for the worlds biggest game.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    You have never met me
    You are to cool MontanaRifleman
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up

I finally printed it. I could not put it down. It travelled with me all day. It was kinda busy with my childrens activities though. I brought it to my boy's bowling, to the library, then soccer practice.

I've often thought about ballistics tests of this fashion. It takes alot of work and time. If I could spare both, I would love to do similar tests with say.............. a farmer friends meat cows. Do you think he would go for it!?......... Oh well.

Some good news anyway. When my younger son (7 yrs old) complains of bowling (my wife likes the kids to keep busy) I tell him we could get on a shooting team at our gun club instead of yucky ol' bowling. He finally took me up on the offer! HEE YAAA!