Thread: PIKE Tips Needed!

Default PIKE Tips Needed!

Greetings.

I've been to Alaska many times and will be up there again in the fall. Looks like I'll have an opportunity to do some muskie fishing, but muskie is one of the few fish I have never ever fished for. Any advice on baits..rigs...etc?

God bless.
    Fr. Joe
    Last edited by LuJon; 03-13-2009 at 23:00. Reason: replaced "muskie" w/ pike in title and move back to AK fishing

Default first tip for alaskan muskies...

there aren't any.
    we have some big pike, that's for sure, but no muskellunge.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Who told you we had Muskie?

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/notebook/notehome.php

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Joe View Post
    Greetings.

I've been to Alaska many times and will be up there again in the fall. Looks like I'll have an opportunity to do some muskie fishing, but muskie is one of the few fish I have never ever fished for. Any advice on baits..rigs...etc?

God bless.
    Fr. Joe
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

well you mite find god here if you hunt for m hard enough, but you aint findin NO muskies!! got alot of pike, but again, no muskies. id like to know where you heard these muskie rumors

I think he means pike.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Pike are stalkers and ambush predators. Find dropoffs, ledges, weed lines, mud lines, underwater structures, etc. and you'll probably find some pike. It really depends on what time of year you'll be targeting them too, in spring and after ice out you can generally find them pretty shallow, say 3-10 feet of water, but as summer draws nearer they take refuge deeper. Pre-spawn the bite seems to be real hit or miss, during the spawn they aren't interested in anything to eat, and post spawn they can be ravenous and attack anything and everything.

They like to eat other fish, if rainbows are stocked in the lake you are fishing, I would use rainbow trout rapalas and/or xraps. Bigger lures do not always mean bigger fish, I've caught 12lb (I know not a monster by any means) pike on a 4inch rapala.

For flies, there are some kind of expensive flies, Enrico Puglisi ones are nice: http://www.epflies.com/checkyourflyhome.html

But you can't really go wrong with some rabbit strip pike bunny flies, you can see them in the flies section here: http://www.pikeonthefly.com/

I like how the elongated bunny strip tail waves to the pike, then you stop stripping it in, and it falls to the bottom very slowly, then lays there with that tail sticking up....I've had that induce strikes also.

Good luck, I know once I caught my first pike, I've been wanting to go after them more and more, it's very exciting and let's just be real here...

TOOTHY FISH RULE!!!

Yes...got mixed up...pike is correct.

Fr. Joe

Fish in the weedy shallows and you'll find lots of hammer handles. You might try a big Rapala that dives and troll that in some deeper water for the big guys. If water temp is cold, use bait. As it warms up you can move to your top water stuff.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Pike will go after almost anything when the mood strikes them. I have seen them chewing on my anchor rope and even the anchor. Problem is that you have to find what they are after at the moment. I bring a very big tackle box and then retrieval can be super important as well. I simply go to a spot that I know holds pike and work through my bag of tricks till they start hitting. My buddy and I will make sure that we are doing different things until we figure what they like. I think the closest "sure thing" that I know of would be a "silver minnow" weedless spoon. Of course you got to remember to put some Tabasco on it, but it is a goody. PS Tabasco fades pretty quickly, so we reapply ever other cast or so. Good luck and donít stick you nose in their mouths.

If you go in a boat, don't get too close to where you want to fish. It doesn't bother them too much, but try to stay 5-10 yards away to help keep from spooking them. They will generally follow your lures all the way to the boat sometimes before striking.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

As has been mentioned, pike will hit about anything if the mood strikes them. I love floating rapalas, just because it's fun to watch them explode on them, but sometimes they just don't go for that. Mix it up with large spinners and spoons. I've had good luck with larger Kastmasters, too.

(Small Kastmasters are killer rainbow lures on lakes, as well.)

For some reason, I never catch fish on bright chartruse lures. They will not touch them.

Most basic tip: If you want a big fish, use a BIG LURE. Trust me, this applies heavily in ice fishing especially. Big herring WILL consistently net larger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    For some reason, I never catch fish on bright chartruse lures. They will not touch them.

Most basic tip: If you want a big fish, use a BIG LURE. Trust me, this applies heavily in ice fishing especially. Big herring WILL consistently net larger fish.
    Yes....bigger bait equals bigger fish......that is the philosophy we live by here in the interior. We can see tons of dinkers hit the bait on the aquaview, but its only the bigger ones that can actually swallow it.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Oh yeah....Has anyone caught or seen a silver pike here in ak? That would be crazy! I've seen a video on youtube from canada catching those things, Drifter must be messing with those lakes...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default any large

rattling lure will get 'em good & ready to strike...I don't know how many strike my rattlers, but way more than spoons & others...I use the Kwik fish 15, or the magnum wiggle wart...they're both PIKE SLAYERS! & the Rattle Trap is a good lure as well...