Thread: 50 hp motor - Opinions

Default 50 hp motor - Opinions

I am going to be buying a boat for the Kenai and limited saltwater use and I am considering various brands of motors including Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda - all 4 strokes. I have also thought about a Tohatsu 50 but that is just available in a 2 stroke. My perception is that while the 2 stroke is lighter it is louder. My understanding is that the Suzuki has a 6 year warranty but the others are 2-3 years. So, what is your experience with these motors.

8 out of 10 motors on the Kenai, used by guides, are Yamaha 4-stroke, the rest are Mercury 4-stroke. Very few guides use the other brands. There is a reason for this, and that's funcionality and reliability, people will have all sorts of opinions, but the running track record for Yamaha's reliability is second to none on the Kenai. Every year I see Mercury motors broken down on the Kenai, but have never seen a Yamaha 4-Stroke broken down. Yamaha's are also nice for trolling, especially with their electronic trolling speed control, they can idle down to 600 rpms for backtrolling in slackwater.

I personally have a Yamaha 50 and it hasn't had any problems in 3 years of use. The motors on the Kenai are used hard, it's either idling all day or full throttle, very little mid range use IMO.

Get a Yamaha and don't look back.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    I am going to be buying a boat for the Kenai and limited saltwater use and I am considering various brands of motors including Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda - all 4 strokes. I have also thought about a Tohatsu 50 but that is just available in a 2 stroke. My perception is that while the 2 stroke is lighter it is louder. My understanding is that the Suzuki has a 6 year warranty but the others are 2-3 years. So, what is your experience with these motors.
    I don't think 2 stroke is an option for the Kenai. I 2nd the Yamy endorsement.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

DFI 2-strokes are legit...Tohatsu/Evinrude. Either of those would be my first choice if I used it in the ocean (more power).

I have a Merc 4-stroke efi and am very happy with it other than it`s not the quickest for it`s size.

I owned a 50 hp 4 stroke Honda and it worked flawlessly for me. There were times I would try to start it and it was already on. I spoke with a guide at length about all the Yamaha's on the river. He said the service with Yahama was unbeatible. As I understand it, he (a guide) had a deal with the Yamaha dealer that if his motor is in the shop he would get a loaner for free. For a guide charging $250 a day per person, that is an unbeatable deal.
    I had some friends with the Etecs and some like it and some did not.

One of the reasons that guides prefer the Yamaha and the Mercury is that they are both 1000cc 4 cyl engines. Basically a 60hp motor with a 50hp computer.

Suzuki and Honda on the other hand are 800cc 3 cyl engines. These two engines are basically 40hp engines with 50hp computers.

None of this really matters if you are not trying to push a 20' Willie Predator (or a copy of one) with 5 adults, a dog, 3 or 4 Kings, 100#s of gear, and 200#s of gasoline.

This is what the guides do on a regular basis and this is where the bigger motors shine.
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

I run a 2005 50 horse Honda on my 15' Zodiac. I love it. Cranks for about 1 or 2 seconds before it starts....every time. At idle you can't hardly hear it running.