Thread: Speed is Fine. Accuracy is Final.

Default Speed is Fine. Accuracy is Final.

The subject line come from this tactical article on Officer.com. I review the stuff there once in a while for my personal use, and wish I had the time to practice as much as I want to. After reading this article I wanted to pass it along to you pistol users.

The training outlined in the article is what I already work on with my .44 Redhawk in the spring before I start getting outdoors. When I am at the range I do the one draw - one shot practice method and end up with a very smooth and accurate result in a short amount of time. I will not win any quick draw contests at a CAA event, but my first shot will be right where I want it every time and that is what matters most.

I also do similar practice mounts of my shotgun prior to duck season. It helps get the eye focused out on the target rather than the barrel/bead so that when the birds are there I can hit them without too much thinking.

Interesting stuff...thnx for sharing

Smile Mostly... pretty good info. - Thanks

#1 Like the LE tribulations in the article with range expenditure, spending constraints, practice time, product availability, and so on... we (as in you, me, & the rest of consumers) are discovering that it’s harder and harder these days to locate consistently available supplies of ammo, powder, primers, components, etc. at a good price with recent trends of obvious scarcity on shelves at the inflated prices we find not easy on our pocketbooks. Throw gas, drive time to the too often too few open ranges with range fees and we're all feelin' it point blank!!!

I see the rapidity of engagement & accuracy on target equation more sums of time, distance, and shielding.

A. If you have the time... make 'more' point to assess the situation, recognize your intention, draw the weapon from whatever retention, align sights (paying attention to identify the target), and follow through if/when engagement is essential.
    B. If you benefit from greater distance… create 'more' freedom to evaluate the circumstances, decide your intent, draw the weapon from whatever retention, align sights (paying attention to identify the target), and follow through if/when engagement is necessary.
    C. If you have shielding like a barrier, cover, even simply a visual obstruction advantage… location you can situate to provide better restrictions or protection overrides potential threats of direct line of fire.

I perceive that if I have no time at arms length and already 2 seconds behind in the wake of surprise… Speed/avoidance/deterrence is indispensable to recuperate some valuable time, increased distance, or provide improved shielding that can inevitably trump accuracy no matter what the training regimen.

When I have the upper hand in time, distance, shielding… Accuracy, good habits/training, in addition to keeping your head and better equipment then likely plays supreme.

This is nothing new, it's a quote from Bill Jordon's book "No Second Place Winners" from the 1950s?
    Steve

And you also need to use enough gun

There has been more people killed with the .22LR than any other caliber? Not my choice but, statstics prove this.
    Steve

Default I have hear that too,

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    There has been more people killed with the .22LR than any other caliber? Not my choice but, statstics prove this.
    Steve
    I have also heard that more people have been killed with the 9mm than any other cartridge. Also that more people have been killed with the 9mm than any other handgun bullet. And also that more people have been killed with the 9mm than any other handgun bullet in a war-related shooting.

If your point is that any bullet can kill, but that there are major differences between "marginal", "adequate" and "enough" when referring to guns or bullets, I agree with your point. But I do wish we had a more well-documented statistic to go on.

Lost Sheep

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post.

Do your own research when ANYONE gives you new facts on the web.

Lost Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    I have also heard that more people have been killed with the 9mm than any other cartridge. Also that more people have been killed with the 9mm than any other handgun bullet. And also that more people have been killed with the 9mm than any other handgun bullet in a war-related shooting.

If your point is that any bullet can kill, but that there are major differences between "marginal", "adequate" and "enough" when referring to guns or bullets, I agree with your point. But I do wish we had a more well-documented statistic to go on.

Lost Sheep

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post.

Do your own research when ANYONE gives you new facts on the web.

Lost Sheep
    I would think the 9mm would be the winner of this dubious distinction. When considering WWII and the death camps the 9mm must be way up there. The 9mm was more common than the 8mm Mouser or any other round behind the German front lines. Sad to think about, but all to true!

The 22 is deadly and has likely taken more game as well as livestock when butchering on the farm. I just don’t see it as well used as the 9mm for homicide. In my view neither are adequate stoppers for a self defense gun. I want a 40S&W or bigger for town and 45 Long Colt/44mag or bigger when in the bear woods.

Andy

i think it was wild bill hichock said take your time to line up your sights on the target but do it in a hurry..
    the sas teach this set up... draw your weapon line up the sight then take the shot to make sure you have a perfect sight picture ..but they do as they tell it that when shooting in crowded room area that what to make sure of there target first before letting a round go down range..
    go to a good school like gunsite or thunder ranch school system and they will teach you the basic stress typle of shooting then go onto a there more tactical shooting class system and there they will teach the more combat typle of shooting..
    get used to shooting diff prostions and ground levels set up ..in the less than perfect typle of world you will be moveing and dodgeing things to get to a better cover or to get out the kill zone of the fight..
    one of former teachers had us sitting at a table when the shooting started and had to get though a crowded street typle panic where everyone was running in and out the sight picture..
    the story behind this typle of shooting was in vietnam he was a mp and a vc started shooting on the street level where they had taken a break from partol and was sitting down have a cup of tea with a couple of the local girls that they knew ..and he said it was like trying to hit the target with a 1000 diff things going on at once in the small crowded area..
    we did it a brunch of dummys siting diff places on the floor and tables areas ..with a loud gunshot being fired to start the drill..

pratice intill you can do things bindfolded and do it right..

lost sheep said perfectly do your own reseach into the training and tactics areas
    look up the facts about diff weapons inpacts on the human body..
    your can look this up it was in american handguns about 5 or 6 years ago

there was a l.a.city police officer she was shot in the heart with a 357 mag cal revolver ..
    she said she was shot but she was not going down without a fight ..she took out the two gangbangers that shot her and was alive at the end of the fight and made a full recovery at the time

remember this just cause you are hit and bleed does it mean the end of the fight..it just started

remember this just cause you are hit and bleed does it mean the end of the fight..it just started
    Will to live. I have a friend that survived being shot in the guts and the right arm with a .44mag. He returned fire left handed, somehow clearing a stovepipe jamb, with a .45ACP 1911. His hits were center mass. He lived, the other guy who started it didn't.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default But how quickly ?

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Steve
    The problem isnt whether or not the .22 will kill ! It obviously will ! But rather will it kill or disable rapidly enough that you do not get killed in return ! You have to survive a gunfight to be declared the winner ! Kevin