Thread: .280 Ackley Improved

Default .280 Ackley Improved

I'm thinking about buying a .280 Rem and having it modified into a .280 AI. Other than reaming out the chamber, are there any modifications that will be required to make this a reliable, accurate rifle? I realize "accurate" is relative and if the gun wasn't accurate before, it won't be accurate after. But I'm just considering stuff like, do the magazine rails need to be altered, will the same rifling twist rate work ok, etc. I can't imagine much would need to be done, but I wanted to get some opinions before I start the project. Thanks.

Default Alterations

The only alteration required should be to the chamber everything else should be the same. The twist should be standard for 7mm bullets unless you intend to exceed 175 grains then the twist may need to be tweeked.
    If your chamber doesn't clean up, it could require that the barrel be set back a thread and then chambered.
    If you are considering a 280 AI, you should also consider a 280 HAWK. It's built on the 280 case as well;it uses the a 22*-30' shoulder versus the 30-40 * shoulder of the AI , which aides in feeding from the magazine.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Out of curiosity, why build up a AI when what you are getting in the end is 7mmRM performance out of a wildcat? Or am i completely off base?
    In the end, i can totally appreciate the cool factor of the .280AI, i love my .280Rem, but it seems like lots of work to go nowhere.
    Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a .280 Rem and having it modified into a .280 AI. Other than reaming out the chamber, are there any modifications that will be required to make this a reliable, accurate rifle? I realize "accurate" is relative and if the gun wasn't accurate before, it won't be accurate after. But I'm just considering stuff like, do the magazine rails need to be altered, will the same rifling twist rate work ok, etc. I can't imagine much would need to be done, but I wanted to get some opinions before I start the project. Thanks.
    my 280ai is built on a remington action with a dan lilja 25" barrel. even with the weatherby similar shoulder, it feeds w/o a hitch. recoil and muzzle blast are moderate, and it uses a LOT less powder! it shoots legitmate magnum velocities to the 160gr bullet.

i have taken lots of deer and elk with this rifle and have never been dissapointed.
    happy trails.
    jh

Kimber are advertising their Montana in 280 AI. That would probably be the cost effective way to go - if you like Kimbers.......

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/...00_montana/73/

mlg

Quote Originally Posted by mlg View Post
    Kimber are advertising their Montana in 280 AI. That would probably be the cost effective way to go - if you like Kimbers.......

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/...00_montana/73/

mlg
    excellent choice! considering the charges for all the "custom work" on the kimber, it is a bargain basement value!

most any old "custom rifle" with a proper stock and quality barrel will cost over $2000.00.

how could you go wrong?
    happy trails.
    jh

Yukoner,

The reason I'm looking at the 280 AI over the 7mm mag is based on rifle choice. I'm looking pretty hard at the Weatherby Mk V Ultra Lightweight. In this particular rifle, the 7mm Mag weighs a full pound more than the .280. I figured I could get almost the same performance with less weight if I bought the 280 and had it rechambered to AI.

Dang Kimber, now they are making my rifle choice more difficult...

I had a Remington .30-06 rebarreled to .280AI. No modifications were made to the action, and it feeds just fine.

I've shot a couple varieties of 140, 150 and 160 grain bullets, and my rifle shoots them extremely well. The 120's I've tried don't seem to be quite as accurate as the heavier bullets, but their accuracy is still nothing to sneeze at.

My .280AI throws the 140gr bullets at 3200 fps, but I don't remember the velocities of the other bullet weights off the top of my head. I've gotten great accuracy with several powders: IMR & H4831, Reloader 17 and 22, and VV N-165.

In all, I've found the .280AI to be a fun, user-friendly cartridge, and my particular rifle is probably the most accurate big-game rifle I have in the safe. It offers some impressive numbers with a modest appetite for powder. Yep, there are lots of reasons I like the .280AI.