Thread: Rem 700 BDL Trigger

Default Rem 700 BDL Trigger

I had my action off of the stock the other day (I was workign on the barrel channel) and I have never really been satisfied with the stock Rem trigger. Anyway I was looking at the set screws to adjust the trigger pull.

The one to the rear (sear I think) isn't a screw or a allen screw like the front two...it's just a plug. Which I thought was really strange. It seems that you cannot adjust the sear at all?!

So, I'm thinking about a Timney trigger.

Can anyone recommend a book which details how to uninstall a Rem trigger and install and properly set a Timney?

Is this a major deal? I'm pretty handy doing minor type smithing, but don't have access to a lather or any heavy equipt like that.

There is a single pin holding the trigger in place; just drive it out. However, a Remington trigger is adjustable using the the two screws. Additionally you can also hone the interior parts. Do some research on Precision Shooting mag or have someone knowlegable show you. It is not difficult but I would not want to try and explain how to do it in email. Good luck. And PS- the timney will not give you anything the factory does not have. J.

Default Seconds

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    There is a single pin holding the trigger in place; just drive it out. However, a Remington trigger is adjustable using the the two screws. Additionally you can also hone the interior parts. Do some research on Precision Shooting mag or have someone knowlegable show you. It is not difficult but I would not want to try and explain how to do it in email. Good luck. And PS- the timney will not give you anything the factory does not have. J.
    The Remington trigger will do everything the Timney will; with just some adjustment normally. Stoning has helped on a couple of mine in the past; But I mostly pass on stoneing. For colder areas I try to work with around 3.5 lbs or so, that seems to be minimal with gloves. If you feel you need a much better trigger and that the Remington doesn't work for you the Jewel trigger is the best replacement. It's a little spendy though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

So the sear isn't a big deal?

I just need to scrape that lacquer/glue off of the trigger stop screw and trigger adjusting screw, and then adjust from there, right?

No need to take the trigger off or to hone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurman View Post
    I had my action off of the stock the other day (I was workign on the barrel channel) and I have never really been satisfied with the stock Rem trigger. Anyway I was looking at the set screws to adjust the trigger pull.

The one to the rear (sear I think) isn't a screw or a allen screw like the front two...it's just a plug. Which I thought was really strange. It seems that you cannot adjust the sear at all?!

So, I'm thinking about a Timney trigger.

Can anyone recommend a book which details how to uninstall a Rem trigger and install and properly set a Timney?

Is this a major deal? I'm pretty handy doing minor type smithing, but don't have access to a lather or any heavy equipt like that.
    You probably just need to use a pick to get the factory glue out of the rear adjustment so you can access the allen head. The following link has an easy to follow adjustment procedure that has worked well for me on a few Remington's.

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/a...00trigger.html

While you have the action and trigger out of the stock spray the trigger assembly with a contact cleaner or gun scrubber inside and out. Then spray with CLP or equivalent oil and blow out excess oil with air. This should clean out any foreign material and lube and protect your trigger assembly for better performance.

The Timney adjustments are the same as the factory adjustments for the Rem 700 series. However they use a screw and jam nut on the adjustments. The following is a link to their site. Note, you can order the Timney at a preset pull weight .

http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunsho...wsafety-9.html
    Last edited by marshall; 03-12-2009 at 11:04. Reason: addition of Timney information

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    You probably just need to use a pick to get the factory glue out of the rear adjustment so you can access the allen head. The following link has an easy to follow adjustment procedure that has worked well for me on a few Remington's.

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/a...00trigger.html

While you have the action and trigger out of the stock spray the trigger assembly with a contact cleaner or gun scrubber inside and out. Then spray with CLP or equivalent oil and blow out excess oil with air. This should clean out any foreign material and lube and protect your trigger assembly for better performance.

The Timney adjustments are the same as the factory adjustments for the Rem 700 series. However they use a screw and jam nut on the adjustments. The following is a link to their site. Note, you can order the Timney at a preset pull weight .

http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunsho...wsafety-9.html
    Excellent thanks! I'll read this when I'm off work.

Looks like a good excuse to pick up those 'picks' and other odds and ends from Midway on my next order.

One question. After I remove the glue/lacquer stuff out of the screw heads, and then set trigger to what I like...should I use some Locktite (purple not red) on the threads?

Looks like a good excuse to pick up those 'picks' and other odds and ends from Midway on my next order.

One question. After I remove the glue/lacquer stuff out of the screw heads, and then set trigger to what I like...should I use some Locktite (purple not red) on the threads?
    Use some contact cleaner in the area of the adjustment screws to remove oil residue. Then model glue or blue Loctite or something that is oil resistant that will dry in a reasonable amount of time. I would not use a Loctite variety that requires heat to break loose. I'm not familiar with purple?

Let your choice of stuff dry completely before you mess with the trigger so your adjustments stay where you set them.

if you have the "new" remington trigger only one adjustment will move,the other will break your wrench. personally, i like the old model trigger just fine as the adjustments are easy to balance.

i have tuned lots of remington rifles for other snipers and can tell you truthfully that HONE business is a buzzword for addidional smithing charges. the adjustments will do everything you need done. also, dont use loc-tite on the adjustment screws. just a dab of laquer (or nail polish)

get your pics FREE from your dentist for the asking. they are professional quality and offer many different angles. good luck.
    happy trails.
    jh

jerry; i sent you a personal message with a complete explaination but it said you were "not recieving messages" ??? i have explained this process on your old model trigger elsewhere. check my personells if you have time and you will find it. good luck!
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    jerry; i sent you a personal message with a complete explaination but it said you were "not recieving messages" ??? i have explained this process on your old model trigger elsewhere. check my personells if you have time and you will find it. good luck!
    that's weird, I checked the "receive PM from members."

I'll search for it, thanks!