Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Most Accurate (SPORTING) Hunting Rifles

Default What Are Your Most Accurate (SPORTING) Hunting Rifles

What are your most accurate sporting hunting rifles. Not those heavy barreled long range, varmint or target rifles. I am talking about the average hunting rifle you would pack on a spot and stock hunt. Less than 7.5 pounds (not including scope). Now I know some of you carry in the field in Alaska heavy large cal sporting rifles and if it is a sporting rifle, not some heavy barreled thing then yours are also included. The reason I have qualified the class of rifle is that with a heavy barreled specialized rifle I can print exaggerated holes all day long once I get the load right, in fact most half way good shooters can.

Now!!!!! To get good accuracy with a quick handling (out of the box or customized), sporting hunting rifle is another thing. So no one miss understands I am talking about rifles that fall into the 700BDL or CDL, Ruger Mk II or Hawkeye, Weatherby Synthetic or ULW, or Savage 116 or Classic, Winchester Mod 70 feather weight or deluxe, Brwoning A-bolt Stalker class of rifles.

Here is a sampling of what sporting rifles can do today. One does not need a semi bench type rifle to get superb accuracy and these are the guns that can be carried anywhere in the field for long periods of time. Some are out of the box some are not but all these weigh 7.5 pounds or less without scope.

300Wby custom (first target is 200yds the second is 100yds)

Rem 750 Woodmaster carbine 30-06 out of the box
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Some more samples:

Savage 116FS 7mmSTW out of the box

Mark V 30-06 (lighest rifle I own 6.5 pounds) custom

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A few more:

Ruger Hawkeye 358Win out of the box

Mark II 22-250 Stainless out of the box
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My Rem 700BDL in .06 is a fine shooter. I have worked out a nice load with the 165 gr Sierra GameKing. One thing I am changing is the trigger. The Rem trigger is crap, so I'm putting in a Timney at about 4.5lb.

I recently worked out the barrel channel in the wood stock so now my barrel floats just fine.

I have a 3X9 Nikon on top with Leoupold base and rings.

Default Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurman View Post
    My Rem 700BDL in .06 is a fine shooter. I have worked out a nice load with the 165 gr Sierra GameKing. One thing I am changing is the trigger. The Rem trigger is crap, so I'm putting in a Timney at about 4.5lb.

I recently worked out the barrel channel in the wood stock so now my barrel floats just fine.

I have a 3X9 Nikon on top with Leoupold base and rings.
    The standard Remington trigger should be adjustable to a crisp 4 pounds or so. If your going to change the trigger and desire a quality trigger and outstanding peformance use the Jewel trigger. It's performance and quality is beyond reproach; just a little spendy though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Winchester Model 70, 25.06 Classic Sporter. Glass bedded, recrowned and trigger job allows it to shoot 120 patitions into .5"..best group ever was .321
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

This one hardly counts, but, I have a Rem. 600 Mohawk .222 (18.5" bbl) that shoots regularly into .5 to .75 inch groups at 100 yards without fuss of ammo type or waiting much between shots.

My Kimber 84 338 fed shoots under an inch at 100 and usually just under 3 inches at 300 yards.

I think that hunting rifles today are so accurate and put together with much better steel. Use to when I was young you were just hoping when you bought that factory rifle that it would be a shooter and you were glad when you got one. Now all but a few rifles bought are shooters right out of the box. I think that is cool. Today we expect them to shoot. In days gone by we hoped they would shoot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have never owned a factory centerfire rifle that was more accurate than an "out of the box" Savage 110.
    Every Savage I owned was capable of .5 if I did my part. However I never enjoyed hunting with them so I guess the point is mute.
    Tennessee

TIKKA T3 Hunter 6.5x55 Swede

1917 Carl Gustaf Model 96 Swede 6.5x55

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Winchester Model 70, 25.06 Classic Sporter. Glass bedded, recrowned and trigger job allows it to shoot 120 patitions into .5"..best group ever was .321
    I bet that is a nice rig, Model 70 is a classic itself and 25-06 is a cool cartridge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

water-man and rifleshooter, the 6.5x55 Swede is a very consistent and accurate cartridge, I bet those are some real shooters.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

remington 700 bdl 300 weatherby mag half minute of angle
    Ruger MK 11 204 ruger, 1/2 minute of angle.
    Remington 597 17 hmr 3 rounds 1 hole at 50 yeards, haven't shot this one farther out yet

My NEF single shot in .223, consistent head shots on woodchucks out to 400yds (laser) i never shot it on paper. I handed it down to my friends son (my friend named his son after me) and told him to treat it good because it was the best shooting rifle i have ever owned and i will want it back someday... i doubt i will take it back. I have been thinking of getting my H&R 25-06 fitted with a 223 barrel (as well as a 308 and 12ga smooth bore).
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Default Remington

300 saum shoots less than 1 moa after floating the barrel, and trigger work.

Default Kimber Montana

Kimber Montana in 325wsm, one ragged hole at a hundred. Exploding water filled milk jugs at 500 all day long. It shoots better than my ability
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

The only rifle I own that doesn't shoot better than my ability is my 30-30, and even it isn't bad. I've got it sighted in dead on at 100 yards with a Williams peep, and on a good day I can shoot 3 shot groups at that range that you can cover with a 50 cent piece. I'd say that's not bad out of an old Model 94 with a peep.
    Incidentally, I've never shot an animal with it at more than half that distance...so I'd say its way more accurate than it needs to be for a hunting rifle. However, I believe it was Townshend Whelen who said that only accurate rifles are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I believe it was Townshend Whelen who said that only accurate rifles are interesting.
    I agree with him 100%, if it is not accurate for the purpose which I bought the gun, it is gone not long after.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

This is a three shot group from my Ruger a couple of weeks ago. Its a .391 three shot group, the other two holes are from another load. I have only had the barrel floated and the trigger tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast