Thread: Now for a halibut

Default Now for a halibut

My goal this spring is to catch a halibut on a fly. I have been told they come close to shore when the hooligans are running. Anybody ever tried it with any success?

We have had several anglers do it from the boat during a ''surface bite'' in the spring......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I have caught them from shore in the spring, but not on a fly rod. I went a few times last year when the eulechan were running into the rivers; I think we caught 2 halibut in 3 trips between 2-3 rods each time. So it wasn't ever hot fishing, but it was still really cool to catch one from the bank. A friend of a friend landed one that went 100 pounds from the beach in mid-May last year; I guess it was the best fight he has ever had. The beaches I have fished wouldn't be productive with a fly because the water is way too dirty.
    I have caught halibut on a fly rod using weight and a jig-like fly. You really begin to realize how well halibut can fight when you put away the broom stick of a rod, and replace it with something that actually has some feel. The downside is that a 30 pounder will wear you out, but it's still a lot of fun.
    If I were you, I would fish shallow water in the spring from a boat, say 30-40 feet, using a very fast sink tip and a jig-like fly. It's not the most productive way to catch a halibut, but you would have a good shot at gettings some nonetheless.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

there are some spots out of homer, look for 60 foot humps cause you can reach 60 feet without too much trouble. Forget about the hooligan
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I really don't have any advice, but there was a guy in Fish Alaska a while back showing off his fancy-scmancy custom sage rod "flyfishing" for halibut.... I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the pic with a 10+ ounce sinker on his leader....come on....thats not flyfishing
    Nice Marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    .. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the pic with a 10+ ounce sinker on his leader....come on....thats not flyfishing
    Its fly fishing if the sinker was 16 inches above the fly and the fly had a gap smaller than 1/4 inch

seriously though 40 feet of t14 should get you down to 60 feet on slack tide no problem
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I could be mistaken, but I think there is a section on this and other saltwater fly fishing species in Troy Leatherman's "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska..." It is a great book, but honestly I have not thought much of saltwater flyfishing in Alaska and did not read that section. Don't have the book with me or I would check for you, but something you may want to look into.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.