Thread: 2nd thoughts

Question 2nd thoughts

Well, I toyed around with the idea of selling the sled. Didn't try real hard. So I have started getting it ready for riding. I felt the springs were a little weak for me last year so I picked up a set from Polaris. They told me to go one size bigger. I installed them but they still don't seem to be quite stiff enough. Does anyone have a rule of thumb on what size spring I should go to? This is a '05 RMK 900. I weigh about 240 without gear. I figure around 275 with gear and gas on the back. I do have the adjuster blocks spun to the stiffer setting.
    Also, I spoke to Polaris about adding an electric start kit to it. They said that the 900 goes through batteries fairly quickly and they don't really like to put these on. Is there that much difference in the compression on a 900 versus a 700? Exactly what type of battery would be in this setup? I wouldn't have a problem putting it on a trickle charger after riding.
    Any Polaris experts out there? Eric

Ummmmm?? Why would it go thru batteries. Once it is started the sled recharges it. The only ways to lose a battery would be to crank it until it gets real low on juice and then leave it to die for a long time. Then it will never hold a charge for very long after that. Or if there is a problem with the sled itself. The most critical thing on battery life is how it is first charged out of the box. A properly initialized battery will last just as long as the one in your car/truck. I'd try to get more info on why they don't want to put a starter on that sled.

As far as the springs go, I always go two steps higher on springs and I am about the same weight with the spare gas I carry. Sorry I don't have any spring charts for your sled, or I'd tell you exactly what you would need.

Default Thanks

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering why they don't really want to put the starter on it. But thanks for the info!! Eric

No Polaris expert but most sleds are factory set up for a person weighing 175 lbs. with no gear. If you weigh more or carry gear it will need an upgraded spring and shock package. The adjustment on the stock set up can make up for some extra weight but not much. Once the spring rate is a match for your weight, if it doesn't already have it, get a good set of rebuildable shocks and have them revalved to your riding style.

Default update

After having a friend look at the susupension while I sat on the sled and me jumping up and down a little, I think we are going to be ok. It goes in on the 1st to get the electric start installed. Let the snow fly!!! Eric

Default update

Well, I thought I would post an update. I got the electric starter installed on my sled. Very pricey! In talking to the guy that actually installed it I questioned him on the statement that was made to me that it will go through batteries. He told me that the 900 has a pretty "hot" charging system and I shouldn't have anything to worry about. I asked them about why one of them told me that they didn't really like installing them on the 900? He told me that he has only installed a few of them, so he wasn't sure why I was told that. Guess you should always be sure you are speaking to the right person. I will say they did a great job on the installation. Eric