Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What people didn't hear at the BOG...

Default What people didn't hear at the BOG...

Last edited by Brian M; 03-11-2009 at 18:50. Reason: personal comment

Default Thanks for posting this piece Av

"Man, this is a jihad against black bears by paramilitary groups"

Sure is an interesting quote from Ben Grussendorf <grin>.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well Mark;
    being supported by a group from Utah ... er..... i can see it being a semi accurate comment.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This Bill Sherwonit was only there one day. He saying that he was there for the whole is absolutely wrong. I sure didn't see him.... since his pic is at the bottom of this "editorial" on the McNeil Bears.

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/mas..._feature2.html

"At most a handful of us opposed to the state's current wildlife-management regime bore witness to the machinations, and only one of those few represented a conservation group, Wade Willis of Defenders of Wildlife."
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

upinak - Is it possible he was there before you started going? I was there on a day that you weren't there - perhaps Mr. Sherwonit was there on the first Friday and Saturday.

I was there.. for a very short time. To many people. So more then likely he was in the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    upinak - Is it possible he was there before you started going? I was there on a day that you weren't there - perhaps Mr. Sherwonit was there on the first Friday and Saturday.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

This writer is obviously predisposed with fantasy and has no grasp of the real problems. Glad the BOG listen to reason on this one issue, at least. Equating Bears to Terrorists? I can accept that.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Avalanche is really Bill Sherwonit.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Wink

nope, they don't look at all alike.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

interesting read in the "Huffington post", with quotes by Bill Sherwondit,,,"Lion and Tigers and Bears, Oh my"

its not hard to find similarities between Bill Sherwondit and a "forum member, just read and use common sense. These two appear to have such a common style.. sometimes 'word for word',, on the forum, and in this Huffington post articule.

One of several........

Someone has to eat tofu...

Thumbs up

I live in 16B the only jihad I see out here is the one against the moose by the bears and wolves. I think it is great when the BOG puts the needs of humans over the needs of predators. I applaud the BOG for taking a stand that is controversial, but IMHO the right one.
    Chuck

continued reading the post on the "Huffington post", 3/13/09, "Lions and tigers and Bears, Oh my", by blogger- "AKMuckraker",
    his 'Bio' states, "resides in a spruce covered valley in Anchorage AK". and says visit, "themudflats. com.

Hmmmm, Forum Quote; "clues."

Default Dedwuf, just come out with i

Dedwuf, I haven't read the piece you mentioned in the Huffington post. Seems you are implying Bill Sherwonit is a member of this forum...care to just say who you think it is?

In my opinion, the similarities of Bill Sherwondit and Avalanche seem to have some very common writing/posts/opinions.
    They both have similar styles and some of Bill Sherwondit and Av's writing's/posts/ opinions do "mirror" each other.

I could be dead wrong,,, however IMO they are one and the same.

Both are 'informative' and "well versed"!

Dedwuf, I met Sherwonit at the BOG meeting the first day, shook hands with him, exchanged a few words. He definitely isn't Avalanche. I don't think he participates in this forum either. If I was Avalanche though I'd take it as a compliment cuz one thing Bill is good at is writing, whether or not I agree with everything he has to say.

FYI, I just read the Huffpost piece. Not sure who AKMuckraker is, I didn't know they published stuff there anonymously. I've always felt that if someone is gonna get published and say something, they should put their name to it and draw whatever heat or praise comes their way. That's what Sherwonit has always done, and agree or disagree I sure respect him for that.
    Best,

Maybe a bit of 'mutual helpfulness" from AV would reduce the "blur" in knowing who's who.
    I realize Av wants respect to remain anonymous.

Still it makes one curious, and knowing the source of 'some' posts, lends credibility to what one says.

In all sincerity, I wouldn't want to jeopardize his safety, or put him/her/family in a position of being harassed.

And I agree with, "they should put their name to it, and draw whatever heat or praise comes their way".

Default I for one am glad

we have elected legislators and a Governor who, through the BOG, are working to create more productive hunting experiences for the citizens of the state. We as hunters should be supportive of their efforts as successful hunts creates more enthusiasm for hunting and makes it easier to interest the young adults in starting or continuing to hunt. We need more game animals and ways to access them for the greater majority of the hunting public or we will continue to see declining numbers of hunters. When hunters are a small enough percentage of the population we are doomed.
    The state of Alaska isn't and never can be a "game farm". Managing several thousand acres with fences and total elimination (not control but elimination) of non-human predators is one thing, throwing around the notion that Alaska will become a game farm is as related to reality as Feral's fantasies.
    While we may debate the finer points of hunting etiquette here on the forum, to my mind critisizing efforts that will increase the number of hunters in the state, insuring the future of hunting - is akin to Nero fiddling while Rome burned.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default in the interest of dicussion

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    we have elected legislators and a Governor who, through the BOG, are working to create more productive hunting experiences for the citizens of the state. We as hunters should be supportive of their efforts as successful hunts creates more enthusiasm for hunting and makes it easier to interest the young adults in starting or continuing to hunt. We need more game animals and ways to access them for the greater majority of the hunting public or we will continue to see declining numbers of hunters. When hunters are a small enough percentage of the population we are doomed.
    The state of Alaska isn't and never can be a "game farm". Managing several thousand acres with fences and total elimination (not control but elimination) of non-human predators is one thing, throwing around the notion that Alaska will become a game farm is as related to reality as Feral's fantasies.
    While we may debate the finer points of hunting etiquette here on the forum, to my mind critisizing efforts that will increase the number of hunters in the state, insuring the future of hunting - is akin to Nero fiddling while Rome burned.
    Mike
    So Mike, what I'm hearing from you is we need more hunters. Won't that negate any gains in harvest opportunity? And after a bad winter or whatever causes a herd crash, won't more hunters expand the problem and slow recovery?

Default Yes we do need more hunters

The population of the state (looking at it locally, nationally it is the same) is growing, the number of hunters is not growing with it. When we get to be a small enough percentage we won't be talking about how we hunt, we'll be talking about how we used to hunt. That is what bothers me about the exclusivity I see on the this site, we all need to be more inclusive of other people's methods to grow the hunting fraternity. I know that here on this site it is bickering between hunters (mostly) but it doesn't bode well for any organized opposition to threats against hunting as a whole.
    Unless we can get more productive hunts, ie. more animals and access to them, we won't grow in numbers. Fluctuations in numbers of harvestable game is normal. We should manage to keep the hunts as productive as we can nature permitting. If that means controlling other predators so be it.
    Mike
    (I am tired of F&G "managing" by controlling just the human class of predator)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast