Thread: polaris vs. yamaha

Question polaris vs. yamaha

hi,
    i have lived in fairbanks for 14 years now and my youngest, 14, wants to get a snowmachine to hang out with our friends. primarily what we'll be running is river and some trails and limited pulling. i'm figuring that mountain/deep snow style sleds are the best for our needs. now comes the question which to buy yamaha or polaris. all of our friends own polaris. i however really like the 4-stroke fact over 2-stroke. which will fit our needs best please help

We were in the same predicament when we went to replace our kids stolen sled (SkiDoo 300 Freestyle). We went with the Phazer MTX, it was a holdover 2008 brand new for under $5k. It's a sweet sled for pretty much what you're describing. Go by Northern Power and take a look, talk to Davy and tell him Matt sent you.

I love the 4 strokes and upgraded to them years ago in our watercraft...gone were starting problems, etc associated with 2-strokes. As soon as they make a mountain sled that can compete with M8's or REV Xp's, I'll be the first in line to get one.

Question reliable

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    We were in the same predicament when we went to replace our kids stolen sled (SkiDoo 300 Freestyle). We went with the Phazer MTX, it was a holdover 2008 brand new for under $5k. It's a sweet sled for pretty much what you're describing. Go by Northern Power and take a look, talk to Davy and tell him Matt sent you.

I love the 4 strokes and upgraded to them years ago in our watercraft...gone were starting problems, etc associated with 2-strokes. As soon as they make a mountain sled that can compete with M8's or REV Xp's, I'll be the first in line to get one.
    Ellamar,
    what do you think of the sleds reliability and performance. is it enough to run deeper powder like 4 ft deep. i know my son's also been looking at the phazer mtx. does it do pretty good with the 80 hp motor and what kind of fuel range does it get.

Not sure on the deep powder performance, we've just be cruising around Harding Lake with it. There's a post titled "Yamaha Phazer MTX" with a guy who did some deep powder testing and was real happy with it. Just cruising around, the fuel mileage appears to be very very good.

I would say go with what makes you happy. Then again, if you are the only one with a different brand and something goes wrong, your friends will not be able to help you out with parts. I ride polaris, as do most of my friends. Many times over the years someone ends up needing some small part they broke, and usually someone in the group happens to have one with them, just food for thought.

Default yammi

You won't need parts with the Yamaha. The only issue (and the reason I won't buy another one YET) is the extreme cold weather starting. 4 strokes DO NOT like temps below -25. As soon as Yamaha fixes that problem I will own another. If you have the means to keep the motor/battery warm, they are the way to go. Otherwise, you can't go wrong. Yammi actually does R&D, unlike other manufacturers who rely on customer R&D to find out the weak points. GOBs of torque throughout the powerband on all the yammi 4s.