Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Anyone hunted 14C?

  1. #1

    Default Anyone hunted 14C?

    I am looking for any info you have.

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    That's an awfully vague question, mallardman. Hunted it for what? As you may know, Anchorage is right in the middle of 14C. Chugach State Park also comprises a large area of 14C. As such, the hunting regulations in 14C are among the most complex anywhere. That being said, there is certainly hunting to be done - but what species are you referring to? Under the right circumstances (licenses, season, etc.), there is hunting in 14C for black bear, brown bear, goat, sheep, moose, hare, ptarmagin, grouse, waterfowl, etc. What info are you looking for? "Any info you might have" could fill a book.

  3. #3
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    get a map of anchorage and eagle river... that should give the idea of 14C..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  4. #4

    Default

    Yea, I hunt there every 4 months. Mostly road hunt, Grocery stores, Lumber stores, Hit a bank or two, see the boys at GNG, then hunt for the barn. I Bagged two nice carts of groceries at Sam's Club, I had to use a magnum size check, OUCH....it cost a lot for Twinkies.....

    Got drunk one time back in 70' at the Green Dragon Bar, where Cal Worthington Ford is now, hunted two hours for my truck keys, my jacket, and my eyeballs.

  5. #5
    Member akhunter3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Yea, I hunt there every 4 months. Mostly road hunt, Grocery stores, Lumber stores, Hit a bank or two, see the boys at GNG, then hunt for the barn. I Bagged two nice carts of groceries at Sam's Club, I had to use a magnum size check, OUCH....it cost a lot for Twinkies.....

    Got drunk one time back in 70' at the Green Dragon Bar, where Cal Worthington Ford is now, hunted two hours for my truck keys, my jacket, and my eyeballs.


    Those glass eyes are just a pain aren't they!?!?



    Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

  6. #6
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Don't know what your after but I hunted black bear in there last fall. Walked in behind the conservation center in Eagle River about 3-4 miles until you can start legally hunting and seen about 3 bears in locations that made me wonder if they were bear or goats. Did however have a sow griz and 2 cubs come down the trail and started fishing about 50 yards behind me. Hope the little info might help. Good huntin to ya!

  7. #7

    Default

    Short answer like your question, yes. Are you looking for game info, where to hunt, regs?

  8. #8
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Nope no reason to hunt 14c no reason at all
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  9. #9
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Lightbulb invest more...

    Mallardman...Two tiny sentences! Less than a dozen words requesting some of the most valuable and most sought-after info in the state?

    That is not an appropriate question. Sounds more like a comical stick-up.

    Your gonna have to invest a few more nano-seconds in a well though out question before we spill out 20 years of sweat and experiences for ya.

    Where you B? Southcentral?

    Between May and the start of sheep season you have 15 weekends to hike, climb, and scout for rams and every other species in the park. Your gonna have a great summer of trail hiking, scrambling-climbing, glacier and glacial river crossings, and exploring. Wear gloves in that alder brush.

    Dennis

  10. #10
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    I got some buddies who go hog hunting firday nights in the 14C area. tI think they use a 12oz calibur, i am not sure though.

  11. #11

    Default Thanks!

    Ok I know i was pretty vague on that first post, I was short on time. Although I did enjoy all the posts. I was looking for info back behind Girdwood. Such as...
    Are there brownies back there?
    How is the terrain once you get back in there 5-7miles? I see that there are a few glaciers so I am expecting pretty steep terrain, but is it doable to get up high for goats?
    Do the mountains usually get a dusting in early sept?
    How is the bird hunting back there?

    As for the hog hunting up there I have heard the population is on the up swing. I might know a few guys that could come up there and help with that.

  12. #12
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    1. are you an Alaskan Resident? if not.. you no hunty!
    2. The only thing a non resident is going to be able to hunt for in 14C is for sheep and that will be on the Gov. permit... so I hope you have 300K to pay for that permit.
    3. Gotta love new regs

    Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Ok I know i was pretty vague on that first post, I was short on time. Although I did enjoy all the posts. I was looking for info back behind Girdwood. Such as...
    Are there brownies back there?
    How is the terrain once you get back in there 5-7miles? I see that there are a few glaciers so I am expecting pretty steep terrain, but is it doable to get up high for goats?
    Do the mountains usually get a dusting in early sept?
    How is the bird hunting back there?

    As for the hog hunting up there I have heard the population is on the up swing. I might know a few guys that could come up there and help with that.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  13. #13
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    up - That's not entirely true. A non-res could hunt small game (birds, which he asked about), goats by drawing permit, black bear, and potentially brown bear with a guide in the area designated as "Remainder 14C".

    mallard - Yes, there are brown bears in there, and yes, it is steep. As for goats, all goat hunting in the area is done by drawing-permit only. There is a small area open for moose hunting and bear hunting, but you need to read the regulations and maps very, very closely.

    I would say that late September is generally more realistic for getting a dusting of snow, and I've come across surprisingly few birds back there, so it wouldn't be my first choice for bird hunting.

  14. #14
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Nope black and brown are out for non residents. Sheep and Goat for non resi is ok if they get a permit, but they have to have a guide, the "new" stipulations per BoG. I made sure I was there for ALL of the 14C discussion as I was hoping they would open up the moose hunting more, due to the over abundance we are having here. That is about the only thing that non-resi can do without a guide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    up - That's not entirely true. A non-res could hunt small game (birds, which he asked about), goats by drawing permit, black bear, and potentially brown bear with a guide in the area designated as "Remainder 14C".

    mallard - Yes, there are brown bears in there, and yes, it is steep. As for goats, all goat hunting in the area is done by drawing-permit only. There is a small area open for moose hunting and bear hunting, but you need to read the regulations and maps very, very closely.

    I would say that late September is generally more realistic for getting a dusting of snow, and I've come across surprisingly few birds back there, so it wouldn't be my first choice for bird hunting.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  15. #15

    Default

    I am a resident and have a goat tag. I am trying to get my sherpa excited about the hunt and if he has a chance to pop a brownie or chase some birds around I know it would peak his interest.

  16. #16
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    I was hoping they would open up the moose hunting more, due to the over abundance we are having here. That is about the only thing that non-resi can do without a guide.
    Over abundance?? What are you talking about? I was hoping the same, I wanted them to open up moose hunting here in town a little more too, there is definitly an abundance here in town. I would try to propose some more Archery only hunts here in town, but from the sounds of it the BOG doesnt like Archers.

  17. #17
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Yep B, they were talking (and just talking) about opening up Bi-Cent Park for an Archery Only Moose hunting... and BAM! FAILED! Dude I live right over in that area... talk about an awesome hunt and a quick-ish hike back to the house with moose. I would have used my little red wagon too

    Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Over abundance?? What are you talking about? I was hoping the same, I wanted them to open up moose hunting here in town a little more too, there is definitly an abundance here in town. I would try to propose some more Archery only hunts here in town, but from the sounds of it the BOG doesnt like Archers.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  18. #18
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Yep B, they were talking (and just talking) about opening up Bi-Cent Park for an Archery Only Moose hunting... and BAM! FAILED! Dude I live right over in that area... talk about an awesome hunt and a quick-ish hike back to the house with moose. I would have used my little red wagon too
    I live in that area too, and i got all excited when I heard about that. In the summer I ride my mountian bikes thru those trails to get in to sheep shape everyday. Its not unusual for me to see 10-12 moose a week by my house. I guess i can pray to get a Ft.Rich tag again (yeah right).

  19. #19
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    up - What proposal # closed black bear hunting in 14C to non-residents? I don't recall seeeing that one.

  20. #20
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Yeah no joke. I doubt I will ever get the tag for Ft Rich either, but if i do... you are so coming with me!

    Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    I live in that area too, and i got all excited when I heard about that. In the summer I ride my mountian bikes thru those trails to get in to sheep shape everyday. Its not unusual for me to see 10-12 moose a week by my house. I guess i can pray to get a Ft.Rich tag again (yeah right).
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •