Thread: Sleeping Mats?

Default Sleeping Mats?

Greetings.

I'm in the market for a new sleeping pad/mat for some upcoming hunting trips. In the past I've used the standard foam mats/pads, which provide good insulation, but a fairly uncomfortable. I've been seeing a lot of these "self-inflating" pads on the market these days, but I've hand nothing but bad luck with those kinds of things in the past. Any thoughts on the matter?

Fr. Joe

Big Agnes all the way. Insulated Air Core is comfy w/ r value of 4.1. Works out great in late season. I also use a thermarest foam but it's not as nice.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

i just bought a big agnes insulated air core, short mummy version. haven't tried it out yet, but looking forward to it. i have always used thermarest and the light ones for backpacking are very thin and if you are a side sleeper, don't allow for a good rest.

I have always been real happy with the Thermarest pads. Very high quality. The cheaper self inflatting pads are more prone to fail. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. If room allows and want a good comfortable pad, look at the Thermarest "Dreamtime" or similar pads. They are 2.0 or 2.5 inch thick and made for comfort. If weight/volume is a big issue, look at the 1.5" pads. If you want a tough model for extended trips, look at the "tough as nails" model. It is green and has a protective layer to resist sharp rocks, thorns, etc... Regardless of model, get a Thermarest repair kit.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Found a good thread on the Backpacker Magazine forum talking about the Big Agnes pads.

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/fo...9;t=9991119260
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Carried lightweight military type closed-cell foam pads for years. Then graduated up to the ThermaRest pads when they came on the market, still have several different models of Thermarest due to trying to find one that is comfortable for sore shoulders. Now have the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core and find it to be the best compromise of light weight and comfort for tired bones (full size 20" X 72" so you don't have to fight rolling off all night).
    Bear in mind, you must get the "Insulated Air Core" otherwise it'll be uncomfortably chilly on the mountainside even in the summer. I'm not sure how to explain the physics of heat loss on simple, uninsulated inflatable pads but they are much like sleeping on bare ground for sucking the heat out of you.
    Tommy

Either way you go with the pads, consider putting it inside your sleeping bag. It keeps you from rolling off it at night, and also protects the sleeping pad from punctures. Works great.

I just ordered a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. I wil report on it as soon as it arrives.

Brent

I like the thermarest in the summer and the closed cell style in the winter. I figure in the summer I might be uncomfortable if I puncture my mat, but I'll be much more uncomfortable in winter with noting between me and the snow! The thermarest are more compact and more comfortable.

Default All these years.....

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Either way you go with the pads, consider putting it inside your sleeping bag. It keeps you from rolling off it at night, and also protects the sleeping pad from punctures. Works great.
    All these years, and I never thought of that, none of my companions did either, great idea, can't wait to try it! Thanks

Default Big Agnes

I also recommend the Big Agnes Insulated AirCore mattress. It is not self inflating, but worth the time it takes to blow it up. I was amazed how much difference the 2 1/2" of loft makes on tundra that appears to be 8" hummocks. Very comfortable.
    For motorized access trips, I have thought of using one of those hand crank campfire bellows for inflating it. They are called the "Air Grill Inflator" at Campmor, $14.99.

My wife has a big agnes bag and aircore mattress and she doesnt care for it. Said she always rolling off of it in the middle of the night. i guess if it wasnt so thick it wouldnt be as noticable. ive never used one though.