Thread: Where paddleling

Default Where paddleling

I am from france and i am planning to travel in Alaska this summer.
    I am planning with a friend to spend around 20 day long in the end of august paddling in alaska's rivers.
    The problem is that i don't know where to go for this activitie. I would like to have some informations about the differents categories of rivers.
    I already done two time canoing in france and i could says that i am not very experimented.
    That's why i would like to have some informations about :

- the place where to find a wilde river where it is possible to paddle 15 days long
    - The way how to reach this river considering that i will arrived in Achorage
    - The place where to rent a canoe for 15 days

I hope that my english is not to bad.

Waiting fort some good idears and advises.

Thank you very mutch

Anchorage, AK

Default Howdy.

Your English is close to an Alabama dialect, so not too bad. Canoe rentals can be found in various locations, depending on what you are looking for. The only 15 day wilderness floats I know of that can be done in a canoe will require driving into canada and starting on the yukon there, or starting on the chena in fairbanks, going to the yukon, down to a village, and flying out. There will be more to come I'm sure.

get a copy of the following book:

The Alaska River Guide: Canoeing, Kayaking, and Rafting in the Last Frontier

after you find particular river(s) post back with questions about those rivers.

Thank you very mutch. I will try to guet it.

soon to be back in Alaska

Also if you are not set on doing a river then you might consider one of the many canoe trails. There is one called the Nancy Lake Canoe Trail and another called Swan Lake Canoe trail. Both of these can be as short as a weekend or as long as a couple of weeks. There is a canoe rental at the lake for Nancy lake and a couple on the Kenai Pensula for Swan lake.

If you are set on spending all 2 weeks on a river then you may want to look into a fly out trip to one of the remote rivers.

Your English is close to an Alabama dialect, so not too bad.
    I resemble that remark.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.