Thread: Pistol rental

Default Pistol rental

We are planning on trip up to Alaska in May for 2 weeks and I don't care for the hassle and pucker factor checking a pistol through the airline.
    Being a Georgia resident I don't think I can purchase a pistol per ATF laws but I believe by ATF laws it is legal for out of staters too rent or borrow.
    My 3 ???
    1 Does anyone know if a rental is possible?
    2 Would anyone like to loan me .44 for 2 weeks
    3 Would I just be better off buying a rifle and send it to my FFL in Ga. when I leave?

Default Rentals???

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia Boy View Post
    We are planning on trip up to Alaska in May for 2 weeks and I don't care for the hassle and pucker factor checking a pistol through the airline.
    Being a Georgia resident I don't think I can purchase a pistol per ATF laws but I believe by ATF laws it is legal for out of staters too rent or borrow.
    My 3 ???
    1 Does anyone know if a rental is possible?
    2 Would anyone like to loan me .44 for 2 weeks
    3 Would I just be better off buying a rifle and send it to my FFL in Ga. when I leave?
    GA, I don't think you can rent a handgun, not sure if anyone would loan you one, partly because of liability on both accounts. I have taken long guns and a revolver to Alaska three times with no problem, just follow airline rules. If you want buy a rifle or shotgun in Alaska and send it to yourself in GA when you are done if that is the way you prefer. I assume you are camping or fishing?? Good luck, Mark

I check my pistol into my check baggage all the time without any hassle, however if it is a choice betweent he .44 or a heavier rifle, I would go with the rifle..........thought that is a whole seperate topic.

There is absolutely no reason not to check your own gun in your luggage. Buy a small lockable hard pistol case and put it inside a larger suitcase with your clothes. At the counter ask for a declaration form and sign it and put it inside the larger case. This way you can leave the pistol hard case locked all the way through. Tell TSA what you have and where and if they want the key to unlock they'll let you know. I have done this at least a dozen times in the past 5 years and it has worked without a hitch anywhere I go and I go with my guns.
    Last edited by Murphy; 03-12-2009 at 07:36.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    .... anywhere I go and I go with my guns.

I knew I liked you Murphy
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up Flying is easy

Unless you are looking for an excuse to buy another gun just fly with what you have.
    1- print out your airline regs and take with you, hi-light the info you need
    2- print out the TSA regs and take with you (you WILL know the regs better than the people at the airport)
    3- Gun unloaded in locked box(no TSA lock), ammo in factory-ish boxes in luggage or same lockbox
    4- Tell the counter agent you need to check a firearm, sign the little declaration form (NOT the air marshall form... it happened to me)
    5- They will ask you to open the lock box and put the declaration in your luggage
    6- Do not give the counter agent your luggage unless you want your luggage opened
    7- Go to the TSA scanner and have your luggage and lockbox hand inspected, they will give you the thumbs up and you go to your gate. ;-)

I travel with a bright orange hardside samsonite suitcase with TSA locks on the outside. Inside is my lockbox with pistol and ammo with standard lock. No problem.

Default ammo too

You can also carry some ammo in the same suitcase if it is in proper container, like the factory box or a plastic ammo box.

You might print out the airline's regulations and carry them with you when checking in. Not all the employees will know what is going on and it's hard to have a discussion with them when you're standing there empty handed.

Some airlines are better than others and the rules can be different. I won't fly United again. Alaska Air is wonderful!

Have fun!

It's not that bad...I put a trigger lock on my 10mm ,sign the declaration forum, put it in my bow case lock the bow case, and there u go.. TSA has so many keys that if they need to get in that case.. they'll unlock it them selfs

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try, just hope they don't loose it.

I hear you on the "loss" problem. You wouldn't think you'd have anything to worry about with all the "security", but the theives are still active. I've been lucky so far, but still worry about "loss". I tend to leave at home (when flying) those guns that can't be replaced unless there is some reason that gun must be taken.

The NRA gives you $1000 "loss" insurance with membership.

Lightbulb Loss

If you are worried about loss go ahead and pack your rifle case and pay the extra bag fee. Thieves are looking for an easy score, not a heavy locked case. That is part of the reason I travel with a bright orange hardsided suitcase. That and if the airline looses it I am not standing there telling them, "yes it is a black suitcase just like everyone elses".

If you have a handgun you can use, I would travel with it. I do it all the time and it is no problem if you follow the rules.