Thread: Sheep Pressure

Default Sheep Pressure

I have not hunted sheep in Alaska yet. Every time I do research for it I find that it is a pretty cut throat ordeal and I have good chances of someone hunting the same rams I am after. For all of you out there that have done it before, is this true? I'd love to chase them this year, but if I am going to get walked on by guided hunters and other people I dont know if it would be worth it. Let me know what yall think.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default My first year...

...so I will let you know when I return. A buddy called me up and asked me to do a fly in hunt in a registration area. Our other buddies drew tags in DCUA and Chugiak, so he did most of the planning and set the trip up. I hope we will not encounter folks, but if we do, it won't ruin the trip for me. I am just looking forward to getting out there and enjoying Alaska. Pretty new to hunting, so anytime out there will be an appreciated learning experience.

Sorry, I couldn't add to your question. Go HOGS!

Go hogs indeed!!!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

It partially depends on where you're going. If you're hunting from the road system, the chances are pretty good that you'll see other hunters. I've hunted alone from the road system before, but that's the exception, not the rule. If you're going to be flown in, your chances are better of being alone with the sheep and the mountains - but by no means guaranteed. If you're willing to hike farther and climb higher than anyone else, though, you can almost always find some degree of solitude.

if you walk farther than everyone else you will see less people, and if you draw a low % draw you will see less people
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I would just pick a couple spots on the map and go hunting. If there are too many people have a backup in mind and go there. You'll never know unless you get out there and take a look for yourself.

Default Russia

...and if you hike far enough....you can see Russia!
    ...the archives are full of this stuff.

Concerning low percentage draw/permits....Permits for DCUA, TMA, and Chugach State Park (Unit 14C) tags are no guarantee of solitude. Example-2008 in DCUA, at the end of a 26 mile hike were 6 hunters with tags and 5 others supporting them. TMA just went to a "split season" permit system to reduce the "crowding" on opening day...so now it will have two crowded opening days. Unit 14C tags have long been know to produce multiple hunters chasing any one big ram.

Low percentage draw permits = a chance of finding some older aged rams, but there will still be other hunters within paradise.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

An other option is wait till after the Pandemic clears out 1.37 BILLION humans.

It really is fun to hunt in a Hard National Park, We did it regularly, of course that was prior to them being made National Parks.

The longer you wait the more humans there will be.

Have walked in and seen lots of hunters, and I have flown in and had hunters dropped literally right on top of me. You wont know till you try!