Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Recommendation

Default Scope Recommendation

Looking for some advice as to what scope I should put on my .338 Mag. I don't want to spend more than $350 on one though, and would like something in the 3-9X40mm range. I have tried a Bushnell 3200 and a Leupold VX-II, but had problems with both. I'm interested in the Cabelas Alaska Guide Premuim Scopes but don't have any experience with them.

Nikon Monarch & Burris Fulfield II are my favorites.

Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36mm for 389 or 399 great scope and won't let you down.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have a NIB Leupold Vari X III 2.5x8. Still factory sealed in the box. $350.
    Tennessee

For under 350.00, there is probably no better of a scope than the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X42.... at least in my opinion.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

WOW!!! Somebody needs to jump on that Leupold one for sure, great scope and great price.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I've got a Leupold 2.5-8 on my 338. Love that scope-spent a week under water and still works fine.

KK

Take alook at Sightron very good quality for the $

Default Leupold?

Just curious as to what kind of problems you had with the Vari-x II? I have several of them and haven't had any problems with them.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I'd say that any of the Leupolds would be your best bet since its a 338 WM. That will prevent you from getting kissed by whatever scope you buy. I am not reccomending a leupold because the glass is so bright that you could night hunt, I am reccomending em because they handle recoil well and have the most generous eye relief of any scope in your price range. I have a VX-III 2.5-8x36 on my 338 and would say its about the best scope for that application. I would jump on that one Snowwolfe is selling or find you another new one for about that price, thats the perfect scope for a 338WM.

What Alaska Cub said
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Burris...

I have Burris on several rifles from 300 Weatherby to my Armalite AR-50 (50 bmg) and I can honestly say that I would not buy anything else. I have owned the Fullfield line on a few rifles, the Signature Series is on the 300, and the 50 BMG has a Black Diamond. After several years, they all hold their zero. I lapped the rings and torqued the bases evenly. Lifetime warranty, excellent customer service, and a very high quality product. Check Midway and Midsouth Shooters Supply for prices. Cabelas has some models on sale occasionally. For your 338, I would suggest the Signature Series.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have an old Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x on my .338 WM, and it have been on this rifle since 1992. Great little scope, but a little short, so I had to get extension rings for it. However, newer ones are a little longer than the one I have (Leupold made a longer version later). It's my favorite scope on the .338WM with lots of eye relief.

On my 30-06 the Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36mm is my favorite hands down for the hunting application.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I'd say that any of the Leupolds would be your best bet since its a 338 WM. That will prevent you from getting kissed by whatever scope you buy. I am not reccomending a leupold because the glass is so bright that you could night hunt, I am reccomending em because they handle recoil well and have the most generous eye relief of any scope in your price range. I have a VX-III 2.5-8x36 on my 338 and would say its about the best scope for that application. I would jump on that one Snowwolfe is selling or find you another new one for about that price, thats the perfect scope for a 338WM.
    The Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 has a full 4 " of eye relief through out it's power range.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    The Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 has a full 4 " of eye relief through out it's power range.
    I think you are thinking of the Zeiss Conquest which has 4" throughout the entire range, the new Monarchs have 4.0"-3.8" throughout the range where as the 2.5-8x36 I reccomended has 4.7"-3.7".

Its also longer, bulkier and heavier than the Leupy I reccomended for the 338WM.

Thumbs up once again....

When I consider reliability, warranty, price, weight, length, clarity and eye relief my .338 wears a Leupold 2.5 x 8 36mm. The 1.75 x 6 32mm is very good also. I am not saying there are not other good scopes. I'm just saying if my checking account had a million bucks in it I would have the same scope.

I've got Leupold VX-II 1x4's on two .375's and a .458 Lott and never had a problem. That would be my choice for a general purpose scope.

Default Start and end your search with Leopold

NO question VXIII, if you can at all swing it! I don't believe you could go wrong with any of the following variable Leopolds: 1.5-5x24, 1.75-6x32, or 2.5-8x36mm, all are excellent scopes for your application (I have run more than one of all of these variables on numerous rifles of various calibers up to and including 4 different 375s. They have all performed flawlessly under every austere and extreme field condition. Now, saying that, I have a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 EE on order for a custom 338WM being built. Will this scope perform any better? I sincerely doubt it (not for 5 - 6x the price of a Leopold.) But, heh you only live once, and I refuse to compromise on optics! If it were me, looking for a scope, and being sensible about a budget, I would jump at Snowwolfe's VXIII 2.5-8 x 36mm NIB. I don't believe you could do much better than that. No, I don't know him, but, I can recognize a good buy when I see it. IMO if your 338WM is used as your go to all rounder, 2.5 - 8 is the best glass to top it with. Personally, I actually prefer the fixed Leopolds and especially the FXIII 6x42, however, that is another story. YMMV.
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 03-12-2009 at 02:04. Reason: additio

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Most of the folks here seem to go towards the scopes that are on the lower magnification range of scopes, and with good reason. The lower power scopes give great eye relief for the big 338. Nobody enjoys getting bashed in the eyebrow/nose by a scope. I own a nikon monarch, burris 30 mm tubed XTR, burris fullfield ll, leupold v-x ll, and an Eotech holo sight. Out of all of the scopes I've had experience with I've never been disappointed by Burris, and here's why: They use 14 psi springs, steel on steel adjustments and the adjustment springs are about twice as strong as other scopes. The 30 mm tubed scopes provide a MASSIVE field of view too. A 1.5-6 Burris Signature with a 30 mm. tube would be a great scope for your 338 in my opinion. I've never had any trouble with the Burris line of scopes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast