Thread: Kodiak first week August

Default Kodiak first week August

I am going to Kodiak the first week of August just wandering what to expect for fishing on the road system. We don't care whet kind of salmon as long as it's salmon. I'm thinking pinks and chums But a silver to take home would be nice. I am also going on a charter. Any Salt water charter recommends?

I hope you like humpies!

(hint: they grill up real good, and can even better)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default in the know...

Try Shawn at http://www.ultimateislandadventures.com He is a local guide with both ATV and charter services and is quite in the know.

The seas will still be good for halibut, lingcod, gray cod, rockfish, kings and silvers. A charter at sea is definitely advised.

Pinks are in the rivers as noted. Dolly Varden are in the rivers. August is a little early for silvers, and ADF&G bridge upstream closures for them will be in place.

Some sockeye via the Saltery drainage via ATV guided services might still be around; check with Shawn, if they are still in when you are, this trip is also advised.

If you want to know the ins and outs of the island fishery in book form, I wrote it. It is in this sites bookstore or you can go to http://www.alaskanauthor.com.

Kodiak is quite unique and affordable if you know the way...
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Try Shawn at http://www.ultimateislandadventures.com He is a local guide with both ATV and charter services and is quite in the know.

The seas will still be good for halibut, lingcod, gray cod, rockfish, kings and silvers. A charter at sea is definitely advised.

Pinks are in the rivers as noted. Dolly Varden are in the rivers. August is a little early for silvers, and ADF&G bridge upstream closures for them will be in place.

Some sockeye via the Saltery drainage via ATV guided services might still be around; check with Shawn, if they are still in when you are, this trip is also advised.

If you want to know the ins and outs of the island fishery in book form, I wrote it. It is in this sites bookstore or you can go to http://www.alaskanauthor.com.

Kodiak is quite unique and affordable if you know the way...
    Hey Bernie-

Isn't this the outfitter you promote / advertise for in your book?

Hundreds of thousands of pinks in. Reds should still be going strong at Saltery. Do not attempt Saltery creek with a truck, unless you don't mind wrecking it. You guys are so hard on Mr. Rosenburg. His suggestions are valid, he has experiance here. Ultimate island adventures leads a great Saltery creek fishing tour, along with others in the area. Bottom line, have fun! There will be a lot of action for Salmon, and the Halibut will be shallow and plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by mnfish365 View Post
    You guys are so hard on Mr. Rosenburg. His suggestions are valid, he has experiance here.
    So-???

I'm not real keen on someone who subtly tries to 'pimp their wares' in the form of post on the discussion boards.

There's another board for that... http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...ex.php?cPath=5

Talking Give Shawn a call!

Here's a second vote for Shawn at Ultimate Island Adventures. We fished with him in early September last year. Had a GREAT time and caught LOTS of fish on our charter. Shawn is honest and will show you a good and SAFE time.

Enjoy Kodiak it is a terrific place. Looking forward to a return visit soon. Don't wait too much longer to line up a place to stay, make charter arrangements and get a rental car if you will need one. Kodiak is a popular place to visit and early reservations will assure that your needs are covered while you are there.

Bernie P.

Default Not That Guide!

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    Hey Bernie-

Isn't this the outfitter you promote / advertise for in your book?
    I'm not in his book although I did take him fishing last year. I believe Bernard wrote the Kodiak book about 5-6 years ago.

I haven't asked Bernard to advertise my business on this forum but I'm sure a fishing trip didn't hurt. I stand solidly by my reputation and business ethics, do you know me or have you heard anything about me?

Lets make sure we know who we are talking about since there are some shady guides and I don't care to be lumped in with them. I surely don't need someone on the WWW talking about me if they don't know who I am.

Just want to stop anything before it gets out of hand.

Default Kodiak Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    I am going to Kodiak the first week of August just wandering what to expect for fishing on the road system. We don't care whet kind of salmon as long as it's salmon. I'm thinking pinks and chums But a silver to take home would be nice. I am also going on a charter. Any Salt water charter recommends?
    I have to say for the most part we have a great fleet. Just like with any business there are some not so good and some that are great. I would say that 98 percent of our fleet is top notch.

When calling a guide or outfit make sure your comfortable with the way they treat you over the phone. Just remember if it sounds like it's too good to be true......it most likely is. Also, if you talk to a guide and he is quick to hammer another guide.....I would question his ethics and move on to another.

Ask about the operation. Will you be fishing on a bigger boat that may be more comfortable or a smaller boat. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Larger boat more people less interaction with the Captain and crew...better ride in rough weather. Smaller boat very few other clients (most of us run only 4 max 6) and a more personal interaction and quicker to fishing grounds. There are only three vessels in Kodiak that are inspected and they usually carry 10 folks and all the others are 6 or less.

Good Luck, you'll have a great time.

do you know me or have you heard anything about me?
    Heard nothing about you...

I even bet you're an fantastic guide and run an honest business too!

However, Rosenberg ("Bernie") loves to respond to inquiries made about Kodiak Fishing on the discussion boards, and somehow conveniently 'plugs' his book at the same time.

Once again, there's a more appropriate place for this sort of stuff...http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...ex.php?cPath=5

Default pinks are every where!

Guides are not necessary, however for some quick local knowledge you can't beat a 1/2 to full day guided to figure out several spots as well as tackle. Then do the rest of the trip on your own. Pinks are in heavy in almost every dribble of water in Kodiak in August. Chums are only in 3-4 places accessible by the road system. Silver will be in the salt but not likely in the rivers yet, but you never know. Small lures like Kodiak custom in pink, blue, purple, silver, gold chartreuse, etc. Pixies, blue foxes, spin n glows, panther martins, etc will all work. Smaller marabou flies in similar colors work well also for pinks.

As for the book skip the pimped out garbage. A week a year in a place is not local knowledge!!!! Call the local biologist for certain run timing, talk to some guides, call the chamber of commerce, search this forum. Use the local resources!! The out of date over priced useless garbage is not needed to learn about Kodiak or what it has to offer the Alaskan or the lower 48er.

Just one tidbit there are not Atlantic puffins in Alaska or Kodiak like the book has pictured!!! There are two other species not pictured that exist and are readily seen here. Go figure with 20 years of research you can flub that one!!

Many good charter boats here, some better for kings some better for bottom fish.

Have fun and good luck! Ask more questions here if you need more info!

DieNqvrs/Kodiak

Little dave, I fished with Shawn last year at the same time you plan on (2 trips in salt one on ATV) and we slayed fish. He puts you on the fish and lets you fish to your ability. He allowed me to work the gear and down riggers as I like to do that stuff and gave some "nice" instruction to those in my party that are'nt that experienced and to stubborn to ask. His boat is clean, organized and safe. I will be back this aug. and have already booked. His wife makes an awesome banana nut bread, I made it a part of the deal this year! Also Bernie's book although way verbose and over the top had great directions for the road system, even though there is only about 2 roads on the entire island it was good for me being my first trip and all.
    Good Luck, Jeff

Default Swallow a chill pill you all

I would like to thank all those that had things to say that helped me out.

As for the book I all ready have it and like it. The book helped a lot and I would recommend it.

I like the idea of the ATV trip, I will look into that.

but for those that wanted to pint fingers at other people I just want to say this

Look I have lived in Alaska my hole life. I eat drink and sleep the outdoor life style. I can catch fish if know where to go. I was looking to cut off some of the leg work and head directly to the good spot. I did not think that a simple ??? would anger so many. If I did not live in this state and was looking for info from this site I would think twice about coming. You guys give the impression Alaskans are blood thirsty jerks. SO CHILL would you

Just honest local sentiment about where and how to gather valid up to date info for free by locals. No more current than that, period. For pinks there is no bad spot. Any stream or river you cross will have pinks in them. The other salmon take a little more effort and a specific location. Good luck fishing.

dieNqvrs/Kodiak

First week of august is prime time for chromer chums in kalsin bay and american. Quite frankly these fish will put a silver to shame and pound for pound are the hottest salmon i've ever encountered. They run like kings and jump like reds. Only catch is unlike other places in alaska or when they are rotten here they are pretty tight lipped. If i were u i would give them a shot Just make sure you have plenty of backing

Pinks are obviously in and they are everywhere.

Lots of good charters, i could personally reccomend tim tripp or chazman charters.

Chums are a blast and an over looked fish. They fight harder than most Salmon and smoke up great I will add those locations to the list.

Default Chazman

Chazman runs a fun charter from what everyone tells me. Pinks everywhere, reds in Saltery, Halibut shallow, tourists at the Russian and Buskin. Bears were out heavy last year everywhere. The info is great, but the bashing sucks. I think the forum is for HELPING PEOPLE OUT!!?? Littledave has a trip in the salt and a road fishing tour compliments of me...

I cant wait. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read the book and enjoyed it,,,,don't be a hater. So the guy is trying to sell his book,,,,,what's he supposed to do?

Here's the video we shot of our trip to kodiak,,,,fishing the roadsystem in early august a couple years ago.

You're gonna have a blast, but I would definately recommend taking a day out on the saltwater. You'll catch a ton of fish and see the island from a totally different vantage point. Unless you get sea sick, the water can get a bit rough, but the fishing is world class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhdua7N6aeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-R0sD_hW8