Thread: Bear Control Using Rubber Bullets

Default Bear Control Using Rubber Bullets

Anyone see the evening news about the problems associated with bears
    in the Anchorage bowl. They had an indivudial that said before any seasons open there are several options that should be tried FIRST.

One suggestion was trying RUBBER BULLETS.

I SAY GIVE THE PERSON THAT SUGGESTED THIS A CHANCE TO TEST
    THEIR METHODS. CAN YOU PICTURE A PI""ED OFF SOW WITH CUBS
    BEING STOPPED BY RUBBER BULLETS?
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

They use them all the time. they all run. loud nose and a hard sting. scares the crap outa them and they all run.. they do learn that the folks in uniform have them too and run from them on site. and yet will stroll past you in your yard until you raise a gun.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

"Rubber bullets" have a poor history with bear hazing. For one thing, they quite often cause significant injury to the bear. The type of round that doesn't cause injury is something that the bears learn to ignore. These are usually bean bags. They cost about $5 per round. Cracker rounds are much more effective than rubber bullets at running bears off. But as soon as you leave, the bears will come back. They just learn to keep more distance from the guy with the gun.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

So I've actually shot a cub with a cracker shell, and chased off sows with cubs a bunch, and it works
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Part-time fix to a long-term problem. Yep, that makes a lot of sense.

Default Properly Trained

cracker shells/rubber slugs do work, I have used them for years (without injury). The problem is that, like some have already stated, it is temporary. The other issue is, what makes them think one person will do? ADF&G with two and sometimes three people chase bear sightings all over the muni jurisdiction day and night. but the bears are still there. I wonder how effective one person can be running from girdwood to at least eagle river. Will they get time off? overtime could get even more spendy. I guess the bottom line from me is, Have they even thought this completely through? Oh well, my .02 worth

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

spend two weeks in Valdez in the spring as the bears show up... The animal control officer runs her but off with the cops too.. they always come back as soon as the cop cars leave.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What rubber bullets/bean bags etc. are good for is a place where bears frequent areas near humans (weirs/fish cleaning tables/campgrounds)...they do a good job of associating humans with boom.....ouch....and as that is not pleasant for them it will more often than not make them more leery of humans which is the intended result. They certainly do not do much good at a charging bear, and I think i would not hit a sow with cubs....that would be a bad call. So they are not a cure all, but I've used them with bears that consistently got too close to camp etc. and it does modify their behavior.

I like cracker shells, but soon bears can become immune to the noise etc. while an actualy physical snap of being hit means that that silly hairless being on two legs actually has some claws (so to speak)

Also, cracker shells are tough to keep dry, after some time they go dud. and they also vary in propellant to the point that you are not sure where they are going to go...and to put one on the opposite side of the bear and scare them to you is also not a good time. They are also of a range that where they are most effective (for going boom) the bear is usually further out than I care to worry about hazing...but just my thoughts.

Default We tried it-

We tried rubber bullets, bean bags, and cracker shells with some of our rowdy forum members, and the results were inconsistent. Some individuals responded more aggressively, and others just came back for more... almost as if they liked it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    We tried rubber bullets, bean bags, and cracker shells with some of our rowdy forum members, and the results were inconsistent. Some individuals responded more aggressively, and others just came back for more... almost as if they liked it.

-Mike

I think this Forum has pretty well established accuracy and shot placement is more critical then caliber, and range

that being said.... i guess that defines the difference between hunting members and hunting planners........

hey that one ALMOST got me.

meet on face book here

Default bwhahahaha

-Mike
    they leave welts too

-Mike
    Light 'em up next time. Phoshorous flares work much better
    Nice Marmot.

Default I dunno...

I think no matter what we do, they're gonna keep tipping over garbage cans, biting hikers, eating our dog food, and generally making nuisances of themselves.

Maybe we should look at baiting?

Hmmm....

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Talking

I lived for 30 years in an area just outside of the northeast corner of Yellowstone Park. For years they had been trapping problem bears and then relocating them. All that this has done was to relocate the problem, as the bears found themselves in unfamiliar country and would roam more and get into trouble again. They would have to try and re trap the bears that are now trap smart. I have personally seen them try for months, to try and re tap some of these bears. They would then try and use snares or if that did not work, they would finally shoot them where ever they could find them. They have also been using the rubber bullet thing on bears that come into camp grounds. The only thing that this has done is teach the bears that green trucks hurt. When the Park Service pulls into the camp ground in their green truck, the bears run off until the green truck leaves. I have seen this several time and it is actually kind of funny to watch the bears run from the green trucks and stay just out of range. Both Federal and Local Wildlife Officials state that these programs do not work, but they keep spending money and time on them. I have three suggestion on this problem. One - have a hunter list, so that when there is a problem bear call the first hunter on the list to come shot the bear, (if the first can not come then call the next) under the guidance of the controlling agency. Two - shooting the problem bears may teach other bears in the area to stay away from humans and housing areas. Three - the sale of the license for the problem bear hunt could bring in money for the controlling agency. I'm sure that some people not able (time or ability) to go on a real bear hunt, would pay big bucks for a chance to shot a bear. This is only my thoughts on this problem, but I have had both personal and professional experience in these situations for 30 years.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Open a non-res, no guide required brown bear hunt in the Anchorage Bowl and the bear problem would be solved and the rate of tourism will increase ten fold.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Open a non-res, no guide required brown bear hunt in the Anchorage Bowl and the bear problem would be solved and the rate of tourism will increase ten fold.

LOL kinda like trout fishing on the Kenai.. catch and release only...and for that they could double the permit fees and actually get it...

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL kinda like trout fishing on the Kenai.. catch and release only...and for that they could double the permit fees and actually get it...
    Hey now we're talking. Make them use stun guns and they get the photo op and the bear gets to get stunned again and again and again. Meanwhile they are too busy getting stunned, to be a nuisance. Meaning both the bears and the non-res'.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

fiber glass mounts available cheap..... choose between one of four stunned looks on his face

meet on face book here