Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks Sportmans Warehouse

Default Fairbanks Sportmans Warehouse

I read the article on thier website, and Fairbanks is NOT listed as one of stores set to close... But I was curious if anyone else has heard something different? I dont like a lot of the alternatives so I hope not.

AKShawn

Quote Originally Posted by AKShawn View Post
    I read the article on thier website, and Fairbanks is NOT listed as one of stores set to close... But I was curious if anyone else has heard something different? I dont like a lot of the alternatives so I hope not.

AKShawn
    The options are:
    1. Order from Cabela's catalog
    2. Order from ProBass Shop catalog
    3. Beaver Sports
    4. Sports Authority (will soon be opened)
    5. Apocolypse Design (they are local anyway)

It's okay. We did it before and if we had to, we'd do it again.
    Lurker.

I know an employee there and he says they are not closing. He also said that the Anchorage store was the top grossing store in the whole chain, but Fairbanks was doing very well too. Now if they only could get their reloading stuff and ammo stocked back up!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

They have fairly good prices, and decent honest people. I am happy to hear, even though i typically dont go for bigger chains.

AKShawn

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    I know an employee there and he says they are not closing. He also said that the Anchorage store was the top grossing store in the whole chain, but Fairbanks was doing very well too. Now if they only could get their reloading stuff and ammo stocked back up!

I had always heard that the K-Marts were the company's top producers but they closed. Sometimes there's more considered than just the profit line, I guess.
    EricL

S/W deserves some of their fiscal strife. I can't for the life of me begin to understand how they just thumbed their nose at internet marketing!?!! I can't imagine how obvious it must have been that they needed to set up an online retail front and provide free delivery to the store near you like REI does. I would certainly buy from them long before I would go to Cabelas. I hope they survive, and perhaps learn a thing or two from this.

What's wrong with Cabela's? They ship their stuff fast and have a excellent return policy. I have returned items that I have had for 8-9 months and they refunded my money no questions asked. Just curious why you would not order from them?

Anything i've bought from Cabela's that carried their name was junk but as far as ordering other brands from them i've had no probolems

Wow... that really shocks me that you'd say that about Cabela's products. To each their own, I suppose. We have a great deal of Cabela's products (base layers, tents, etc) and we really enjoy and like our equipment.

If Sportsmen's closed in the area, I'd still consider ordering from Cabela's. I don't think that we would have too many other options. There are still other sportmen's stores in the area. There is Frontier Outfitters, but we don't go there all that often.
    Lurker.

my .02 worth. Having lived in Utah about half way between a S/W and a Cabela's. Their prices are the same for main brands..ie scope and rifles. I also used to build the rod holders for Cabela's yrs ago and of coarse they shop the low bidder. That being said if you stick to main brands you will find Cabela's return policy awesome. I have a rain suit that I bought from Cabela's 5 yrs ago and wear it not only for rain but in the winter as a top layer for wind protection..and here in Delta we do need that. I have had no issues with it at all however I did choke at the price when I bought it. In the 70's I used to buy clothes from LL Bean..again not cheap but very much worth the price.

Thumbs down My $.02

I think ******** ********** sucks. They dont have any high-end sporting goods in stock (ie. spotting scopes, tents, sleeping bags.) I have tried to shop there, but there but their inventory sucks. Sorry for being so blunt, just being honest!

AKShawn
    Last edited by LuJon; 03-14-2009 at 23:16. Reason: Forum flame rule includes local buisnesses

At least Frontier has/gets powder, primers and bullets! I have recently bought Cast Performance bullets for less than Midways price! I've bought guns from them in the past. And they also now have a few of the high end Browning gun safes. Not just the low end sheet metal boxes. They also carry some high end outdoor clothing including boots, and quite a few other decent items. I'm glad they are here.

I went to a local sporting goods store,which I won't mention. to buy a Ruger SRH. The guy at the gun counter said they didn't have any. I asked him when they'd get more in. He said something like "I dunno" and really acted like he didn't want to be bothered. I ended up buying the Ruger at Frontier Outfitters where the guy was very helpful and friendly and stayed well past his quitting time to make the sale. I think Frontier is the only one who sells Buffalo Bore ammo in Fairbanks, also.

In all fairness, however. Just about all the other times I've been in the other place the staff has been friendly and helpful.......Louis

Frontier also put out this sheep hunting mini seminar that was available to any and all that attended. That was pretty informational and it was an enjoyable mini seminar according to my husband.

My vote for good outdoors wear would be Apoco Design, though. Expensive, but Alaskan and WORTH the $$.
    Lurker.

Default Iagree

I agree, I dont think any one place is all around good either.

Default Girt Cards

I do not know about the Fairbanks Store but I know some stores are not accepting gift cards even though they are staying open. Atleast that is what I was told at an Oregon store I was visiting this week. I was told some will and some wont. Finally doing Christmas with the inlaws and I dont get to use my present!

hmmm, you have to leave FBX but Boondock Sporting Goods in ER is All Around Fan-freakin-tastic! It is the one place I walk into and get immediately greated by name, there are not many stores I feel bad not spending money at, I will actually walk around and pick up something trivial just to help support such a great place! Besides I can always use another box of cheap 308! I will drive from the valley to ER to drop my coin every time, oh and they have always been very competitive w/ SW prices, frequently better and never much worse. Not to mention when S/W hosed up the threads in my reciever for my scope mount the folks at boonies were able to clean the threads up and put in the correct screw. They also did it right in front of me, no taking it "back to the shop" where the gorillas aparrently pound on it! I have a feeling they would avoid over spooling my reels too, not that I mind paying for too much line as much as I hate having it spool off and rats nest for the first hour I am at the river.

On a personal note I like to spend my money at AK companies. I loath people that go into specialty shops to try on gear, figure out their size and then go order it online. I understand why you do it as money is tight but when the day comes and you look around you to find that there are no specialty shops, you won't need to wonder where they went you will know! I just can't look in the store owners face and say "thanks for all your great help, I will think about it a bit more" knowing full well that I am going to order online. Perhaps I could at least respect a man that walked in and was honest, "Hey Bob, yeah I just need to try on these lowas and those Scarpas there, Shoebuy.com is having a heck of a deal and I just want to make sure I get the right size the first time around".

I'd take a Cabelas over a Sportsmans Warehouse any day of the week. Not only does Cabelas carry all of the products that SW does, but I personally like a lot of the Cabelas brand products also. I think that its pretty clear why Sportsmans Warehouse has failed in so many places and the restocking procedures are just about ignorant. The inability to individually order anything sucks too. It has been nice to have a large Outdoors Sporting Goods store in Fairbanks as we have had next to nothing forever and forced to order online for most things, so I dont wish for SW to go away in any way. As to the mom and pop stores we have locally, especially mountaineering shops, I'll just say that a few of them are so overpriced that it would not suprise me to see them go under at some point. When you can save over $50 on a product, even after shipping, theres something wrong with the picture. I do like Frontier Outfitters in Fairbanks because they stock their store for Alaskans, no turkey or deer hunting stuff and they always have a healthy dose of factory ammo for Alaskan hunters and not lower 48 deer hunting cartridges, ther prices are a little higher than SW , but they generally have what a guy needs.

i'll oder from cabela's before i go look at sportsmans wharehouse...but i do shop there on occasion, but there stuff hasn't been as good of quality as the cabela's stuff. sportsmans has alot of in between brands...stuff i've never had good success with. Cabelas carrys better quality stuff and has a better selection most of the time.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Cabellas

I wish we had a Cabellas up here in Faribanks too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast