Thread: Sierra game king bullets for goats

Default Sierra game king bullets for goats

I know that this subject has been beaten to death before (I actually remember reading some of the posts regarding other bullets) but I was wondering if anyone has ever used Sierra Game King bullets (140 grain) on goats. I am aware that other bullets like the Barnes X and Nosler are good but the Sierras fly better for me at longer yardage. I have shot the B-X and Noslers but they don't group as well as the Sierras. I have shot deer and Dall's sheep them and they worked well; excellent shocking power, but I am also know that a goat is a lot tougher than both of these animals.

Regardless of hype I am kind of old-school in believing that shot placement is more critical than bullet choice to some degree (boy did I stick my neck out with that statement). I also wonder whether the shoulder shot on a goat is as effective as the lung shot. I have always shot "just behind" the shoulder with good success. I know that with goats anchoring them is paramount but I also know that that doesn't always happens even with 30 calibers. I have seen videos of goats being dropped stone dead with one shot from a .300 short-mag, and have also seen hunts where the hunter emptied his .300 and Billy was still on his feet. Old timers like O'Connor killed goats with a .270 with no apparent problem.

I also wonder how much impact a goat's thick downy hair has on penetration. I am guessing that if the goat doesn't know I am about to give him a backpack ride, (no adrenaline factor) the Sierra 140 grain Gamekings out of my 6.5-284 will work fine. As mentioned in the beginning of this thread, is there anyone out there who has used Sierra's for goats that could give me some advice? Thanks a lot.

Thumbs down Unimpressed

I pulled them out of caribou and was unimpressed by the pieces I found. They do fly nice, but I won't use them.

Eagle River

Default Use them!

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I pulled them out of caribou and was unimpressed by the pieces I found. They do fly nice, but I won't use them.
    While they are not known for being pretty after the fact, they are well known for accuracy and terminal effects within their limitations (They have been optimized for the classic heart-lung shot). I use them as well as Barnes Originals, Hornady Interlocks, and Speer Hot-Cor's all driven at moderate velocity and usually mid-heavy for caliber. They are all proven performers on game. Are they the ideal premium dangerous game bullets? NO.
    IMO if the Sierra's shoot well for you then put them where they should go and you'll have game down. I have not tackled goat yet, so I defer to those that have. I trust the proven performance of these bullets and they will work if I do my part.

Good luck getting your goat!

Default Gamekings

I reload 180 gr Gamekings for my 300 WSM and they fly at about 2950 fps. While they don't hold together like a barnes solid, they are very accurate out of my gun, relatively cheap, and have done a great job for me. I believe the weakness of this bullet would be if you made a "poor" shot and hit heavy bone, it MIGHT come apart and lack the needed penetration? However, I shot a moose at 60 yds (2900 fps?) and it penetrated to the far side hide after going through the thick hide on entry, all that kneck meat, and the vertebrae. Of course the key is bullet placement, you decide....

Moose, 60 yds, kneck shot, dropped on the spot, bullet found on far side hide, 67% weight retention.

Moose, 220 yds, broadside double lung shot, went 75 yds, bullet exited, I found the copper jacket and some lead, poor weight retention yet part of the bullet drove all the way and I had 1 dead moose. Some would say the bullet failed - I don't.

Sheep, 175 yds, shot through the back of the kneck (was bedded facing away) and exited the front of the kneck maybe the size of a nickel, 1 dead ram.

Caribou, 100 yds, was quartering towards me, shot through near shoulder and exited opposite ribs, dropped in his tracks.

Caribou, 230 yds, broadside double lung shot, dropped in his tracks, pass through, no bullet recovered.

Caribou, 150 yds, broadside double lung shot, pass through shot, dropped in her tracks.

Caribou, 150 yds, broadside double lung shot, pass through shot, dropped in her tracks.

more to come......

Missoula, MT

I have killed three goats, two good billys and one nanny before I could tell the difference. All required two shots; all were solid hits. None dropped in their tracks.
    Two with a 270 and speers 150; one with a 300 WM and 180 partition. In my opinion, I would use a partition, accubond or barnes again; I would not use a traditional bullet like a game king or speer or simple jacket bullet. While Jack O'C did kill lots of stuff with a 270, for me it is light for goats. I would not use game kings or other traditional bullets in a 6.5 for goats. I would think you would want to break the sholders immediately. Of all the critters, goats when hit want to launch themselves into thin air and do so with remarkable regularily. IMO there is more to humainly killing critters than bullet placement. Placement is the first step in the process; bone breakage and tissue disruption are at least two additional steps. If you can't get a partition, accubond or barnes to fly right with your 6.5, get a different rifle that will send a tough bullet where it needs to be. JMO. J.