Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side/side questions

Talking Side/side questions

I looked at the new Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 today. Nice looking machine. Has anyone had any experience with them. I'm going to buy a new side/side and had been leaning toward the Rino, but now I don't know. Anyones thoughts good or bad on the Ranger, Prowler or Rino.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

it's all about what you want to use it for.. I wanted speed fun and small ... I went with the rzr ..man it's fun

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thumbs up Reply

I have a 2008 700 prowler, Some options I have put on it is full body camo kit, top, soft doors, a canopy for the bed, 5000# warn winch with a remote, windshield, heater (12 volt) lift kit and 30" itp tires. On concrete I have 17" of ground clearance. KC daylighters, heavy duty bumpers front and rear. Put foam on the grab bars and roll cage. It's not top heavy because all weight is in the center low. Get;s good fuel mileage. I;m very happy with the machine. Wife loves it too so that's a major plus.... I also have a full cover to protect the machine for towing.

I have an 08 Ranger XP and I love it. I truly cannot beat the recreation and utility aspects of a sxs. I can pack the family and a weekends worth of gear and camp out 20+ miles off the trail. With a few mods I consistently go farther than an atv, get stuck less and obviously carry more.

Prowler - 2 seater, 1000cc
    Ranger 3 seater, 700cc, higher ground clearance, hauling and towing cap.
    Rhino - well there nice but too low for me. I spent some time winching one out in Eureka, but then again we all played hopscotch with the winches. Check my album

My only complaint is that although not underpowered by any means, I'd like to see a bigger engine in the Ranger but have heard it's not gonna happen since its int he utility class which has a 700cc limit. 1000cc Ranger, aww sheit!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talking

Thanks for the input. I really like the looks of the Prowler, but like the room of the Ranger. Got a little more looking and thinking before the big decision.

Thumbs up Ranger

I also own a 2008 Ranger XP and 100% love this machine. It has great clearance from the factory but I have added a 2" lift and 27" XTR tires and I constantly find myself going through stuff that I would have avoided like the plague with my old 4 wheeler, not saying I haven't been stuck but it is much less often. Plus the load carrying capabilities are untouchable by any other machine, I carried out enough gear for 2 guys for a week, 2 guys, and a large bull moose last fall 20+ miles, one trip, no problems. If you want a SXS for hunting this is the machine for you.

The only drawback to having a Ranger is the constant want for upgrades lol. Hands down for AK, tires, winch and skidplates.

If you're not in a hurry wait until spring and head north for a weekend. I'm sure the ranger's can get together and give you a preview/trail run.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talking $$$$$$$$

Ain't that the truth if I came across an extra $5000 I now exactly the things I'd purchase for the ranger.

I have the new Prowler 1000 and have top and windshield on it,so more stock.Planning on some upgrades later.Haven't had time to really take it out yet,but like it alot.This is my first SxS.But for power it's got it,for me anyway.It is alot wider than other SxS but it is more stable than others and my wife likes that.Hope to get it out some this weekend and enjoy it more.

I looked at them all and settled on the Rhino for a couple of reasons, one it has the most aftermarket accessories, it has been around a long time, it is not the smallest of the side by sides but it also not the biggest. I liked the polaris but they seem to be more maintenance intensive which is not my thing. I liked the two of the three dealers I talked to (anchorage and big lake were good). When I talked to the Kawasaki dealer on the glenn all they did was talk about unsafe and unreliable the other machines were, really turned me off from them.

Have really only used it to plow the driveway so far this winter and take it around the yard. Looking forward to getting out and using it this summer/fall.

Steve

Talking

Thanks for all the info. It really helps to get other peoples opinions/experience when you are trying to buy something that you are not experienced with.

I have no dog in this fight as I operate Grizzly quads but I was at Tanana Adventure Sports in Big Delta yesterday with a friend who bought a new Skidoo and they had the new side by side Honda Big Red on the show room floor. You now have another choice to consider before laying out the big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    I liked the polaris but they seem to be more maintenance intensive which is not my thing
    I have over 100 maintenance free hours on my Ranger, aside form Oil changes.

Someone needs to try the new Honda Big Red, and give us a report.

Default SXS

I baught a 08 rhino 700 just because I got a good deal, I love the machine and all the assc. that one could get if one had lots of money. If you ask me they all are good, so the question is what are you going to do with it, and what assc, can you get for the one you purchase. Good luck and have fun with the new purchase.

Default 2008 700 Rino

I got to spend last spring on the 700FI Rino. I had a ball! Lots of power, speed and very smooth on rough trails. I do not have any experience on the others, but this is what I found:
    Seemed to steer "stiff" or "heavy" when maneuvering slowly around obstacles.
    (I just tried to go faster)
    With a top and windshield it was noisy. All the engine noise is trapped right next to you. I really did not think that was good at all.
    I did like:
    The way it handled the whoopdy doos and rough stuff.
    Lots of power.
    Seats and steering felt ergonomically correct/comfortable.
    the tilt bed, even though I did not use it.
    Loved the full, one piece windshield option
    Too bad for me the owner wanted it back after I put 500 odd miles on it breaking it in.

Default SxS

I agree with what Big Daddy above said, all of the SXS are good, you just have to decide what you are going to use it for. If you want it for speed on rough terrain I think the RZR is the way to go, if you want it for a little hunting and the occasional speed run over the whooptidoos the the Rhino, Prowler, or TRYX is probably the way to go. If you want an extreme hunting machine that can carry anything that you can fit in it then you need a Ranger. As far as noise I have ridden in the TRYX, RZR, Rhino and the Ranger, personally I think the TRYX is by far the noisiest and the Ranger is the quietest. If you plan on doing any water crossing and decide on the RZR then you are going to get very wet, the other machines definitely have a much higher seat height, with the ranger sitting the highest. Its a lot to think about but I'm sure what ever you decide to go with will make you happy. Oh, by the way the Ranger is the only one that seats three without any add-ons.

rumor has it that the RZR is the only one that will water wheelie, so whether ot not you do it dry is questionable but you should be able to cross deeper water w/ it that way

Thumbs up Ranger 6X6

I have almost 200 hours on my 6X6 ranger, any problems I have had where self inflicted. The only upgrade is Mud Lites, WOW what a machine I would recommend it to anyone.

Default Polaris RZR-S

I am currently working out of the country, but called and put some money down on a RZR-S ( http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...ages/tour.aspx ) in Anchorage for a toy this summer. I am new to the ATV world, but have always wanted one. I assume as far as accessories go, a winch is high up there on the priority list? Can you guys please recommend some other high priority accessories? Soft or hard top? Full windshield? Skid plates? New tires? I am also curious if there is any negative feedback out there regarding this particular SxS. My desires are to play hard on day trips with buddies (although most my friends don't have SxS's) with some camping trips intermixed. I realize that this isn't a hunting machine. Thanks, -Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast