Thread: Snaring Black Bear

Default Snaring Black Bear

Anybody read this yet http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/m...ntrol-program/
    This is going to start quite the uproar. Has anybody ever snared a black bear?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

there is several threads on this in the management forums..cause an uproar? it has been going on for a few weeks now.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What I wonder is what happens if you show up to check your snare and you find an angry grizz, or moose

We have all seen what a little fox can do to a site when caught in a snare. I cant even imagine what a bear or moose would do if caught by a snare.

Default look in canada

There was a very good presentation given at the Anchorage BOG meeting. Blacks are a furbearer in Quebec, so a trapper from there gave a good powerpoint presentation. They don't lunge against the snared leg very much- they just dig up whatever they can reach. His snaring is all foot snares- mostly in buckets like a marten set, with a snare over the lid and a trigger/throw device to set off the snare. Remember some of the old trapping tales about French Canadians being nuts? They're true! He stated that to release an unwanted bear you can use a piece of plywood to keep the bear away from you while you approach, or jump on top of the bear with a plastic container like a tough tote... Some of the guys carry a baseball bat to knock the bears with instead of shooting them.

Default There are no brown/grizzly bears in Quebec

...and the esteemed trapper from Canada who gave the presentation to the Board of Game said he wasn't comfortable snaring black bears where brown/grizzly bears were present.

I don't blame him. Walking up on a cub grizzly caught in a foot snare wouldn't be a good thing. Momma bear wouldn't be none too pleased.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

talk about an extreme sport. cause and uproar? snare a bear and youll see and uproar!

The uproar would be caused by the anti's. Im sure they are none to pleased about us snaring bears or poisoning wolf pups. Im not against it. What ever it takes to keep predators under control and healthy moose and caribou populations.

we arent the only state where you can trap bears

when I lived in maine we trapped blacks. It is a hoot. There are lots of different ways and techniques that you can use to target the bigger bears. Griz would be my big concern but what a fun time.

Supporting Member

Default Bear snaring

I attended the presentation Serge (the "Canadian" previously referred to) gave in Anchorage to the South Central chapter of ATA. While he was quick to admit he does not have to worry about snaring grizzlies where he lives, he felt pretty confident that if we followed similar protocols during our local efforts, we could minimize the number of grizzlies we might encounter. As it stands now, the state has proposed that any snared grizzlies would be darted by ADF&G personnel and released unharmed. The program would also call for two trappers per camp, so there would always be armed "backup" when approaching a set.
    Serge was also kind enough to provide his presentation to the SCC ATA for downloading for future presentations. The Alaska Frontier Trappers Association out in the Matanuska valley also has a copy and plans to have a repeat presentation of Serge's powerpoint material (as soon as they can locate a lap top) at a future meeting.
    For what it's worth, I stopped by The Snare Shop in Iowa on my way back to Alaska a couple of weeks ago. In anticipation of this bear-snaring opportunity, I bought all 28 of the bucket springs he had in stock. I also picked up a thousand foot of cable and all the swivels and ferrules I would need to make up the foot snares. If anyone is interested in buying some of the equipment needed to snare bears, drop me a line and I'll send you a telephone number where I can be reached.

Post what i seen...

Found a old bear snare site back in the late 80's, the snare was in a big spruce tree...they had cut the branchs off 1/8th of the tree like a "trail" up the tree,the rest of the tree was heavy with branchs..a mesh bag full of goodies was hung ..way up the tree a couple feet out from the trunk... a wolf snare was "fixed" in "the trail" about 10' off the ground ..so here's what happens...the bear smells/sees the bait ..up the tree on the trail cut thur the snare... up the tree some more to get to the bait(having left just enough snare/extra line to let him 'take up' the slack) he gets the bait is happy as all get out..... goes down the tree to have at it ,on the way down, it don't like the "thing" on it's neck .....lets go of the tree/ trys to get at to remove an hangs self ...an shortly after greets st. peter at the pearly gate...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......