Thread: POW Fishing

Default POW Fishing

Fished POW two years ago in the month of August. Will be returning this year, we fish from small skiffs. Not sure we ever figured out the best way to troll for salmon. Looking for suggestions. Southeast Alaska is awesome!!

What town are you fishing out of? Do those boats have downriggers?

Default Coffman Cove?

You did not go to Coffman Cove Adventures by chance did you. I have heard some awesome things about this "do it yourself" type lodge on POW. I want to go myself, but was hoping to hear from someone who had been. They are a sponsor here on the forum I see. Also, they have a website by the same name. Anyone familiar? Sorry for the hijack, but thought maybe you had been there or perhaps heard of them.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    What town are you fishing out of? Do those boats have downriggers?
    Fishing out of Thorne Bay, no downriggers.

Thorne Bay, no downriggers.

6 oz.-10 oz. banana - 4'-6' - flasher/dodger - 4'-6' slip leader w/ cut plug, fly or hoochie with fillet or without. no fillet really necessary that time of year with a fly or hoochie, as they will be hitting hard if you can find them. I usually have luck 30'-40' down. I troll 1-2.5 MPH, slower and heavier is deeper.

However, you might want to look at picking up some relatively inexpensive clamp-on downriggers (like the Scotty Laketroller) because you don't need to be too deep, and don't need a really heavy ball.

Good Luck. Sean

I agree with smpow. If this trip becomes a regular thing, clamp on downriggers would be a good investment for you.

Whenever I am in the unfortunate position of being without downriggers... I always reach for my spoonplugs.

http://www.buckperry.com/index.php?c...page=1&sort=2a

pretty simple. Bigger they are the deeper they go. Much easier to troll with then weights and flashers and hoochies when you don't have downriggers. Experiment with many colors and sizes.. I like green and orange and just plain silver (plug stripped of paint). I stay away from red because the **** humpies won't stay off of the red plugs.
    They work when you get them figured out..
    The good ol' boys at the dock at Knudson laughed when they saw em.. they shut up pretty quick when they saw what I was pulling out of my rental skiff.

Default Simplify!

1-4oz. banana weight, 1 herring leader, 1 package herring= Simple and deadly! Motor mooching works folks! No downriggers needed. Let's let the cat out of the bag... you can get as fancy as you want but IMO if you find the coho's in the salt they will bite whatever you offer em! We caught them last year on everything from purple plastic worms and zara spooks (brought along the old bass box that day!) to pb&j's and hotdogs!