Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go to non-bait king rig.

Default Go to non-bait king rig.

It's a few months out till my return to Alaska....but I am just kicking around ideas...highlighting things in Cabelas....Anyways. What is everyone's go to river set up? I think my best rig was big green corkies and red yarn with pencil lead and a 3 foot leader. I'm looking to expand my options for this trip...just "fishing" for some new ideas.

I am assuming that you will be fishing from the bank. What rivers would help also. Either way I would go with spinners. Vibraxes are my favorite but I am going to be looking at the kodiak custom spinners this year. Spin n Glo is tough to beat also.

KLICKMAN

Size 6 skykomish sunrise
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Other alternatives to the venerable Spin-N-Glo are:

1) Beau-Mac's Flash-N-Spin Cheaters

2) Martin Tackle Thin-Twins with your choice of beads Corkies, Okies, or Cheaters.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Rigs

This will be for the Mat Su Valley. Mostly Montana Creek and Clear Creek. I'm not looking for flies, it's kind of a dick move to use a fly rod in those areas... I'm taking an 8 and a 9 foot muskie rod for those two places. Also I think I might try a kwikfish....

Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    This will be for the Mat Su Valley. Mostly Montana Creek and Clear Creek. I'm not looking for flies, it's kind of a dick move to use a fly rod in those areas... I'm taking an 8 and a 9 foot muskie rod for those two places. Also I think I might try a kwikfish....
    you don't need to use a fly rod to fish flies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default .

I know....but I have this weird thing about doing that...I don't know why. Also I wont use bait....

#6 Blue, Hot Pink or Hot orange Vibrax.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    If you don't like swinging flies try swinging spoons, spinners, or plugs.... have caught 'em all three ways.

The venerable Pixee has caught more kings than any other spoon in AK.

The Vibrax or heavier Mepps have probably caught more kings together than all other brands combined.

And while I am the biggest KwikFish fan around, I reserve mine almost exclusively for backtrolling. I would rather recommend a Mag Wart (or Brads Wiggler) for bank fishing.

Find a likely spot just downriver from the Montana mouth. Cast into the seam where the silty Su meets the clear water of Montana. Either freespool a bit of line to let your hardware sink -OR- free-float your plug downriver along the seam. Click your reel over and let the line tighten with your rod tip extended away from the bank as far as it will reach. Your rod tip will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know.... the thump of the spoon, the vibration of the spinner, or the wiggle of the plug..... just let it swing across the current, reeling only if you feel your hardware ticking bottom. With the diving plug, don't reel until it has completed its slow swing crosscurrent. Once your chosen lure has crossed over to your side of the river, then reel it back upstream to your position SLOWLY with the rod fully extended over the water.

Don't be too quick to swing back with the rod when you get a bite. Instead reel into the bite and let the rod load up before swinging for the hookset.

Good luck and remember to post a pic of your success!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

BTW you need to get BELOW the heart of the combat zone to make the technique in my last post work.

DON'T try it where there's a dozen guys immediately below your position.
    The KeenEye MD

I fish them areas religiously and have to ask to kind of just stay with what a "majority" are fishing. I'd hate to try and bobber fish eggs in an area of fellas tossin' blades. Not saying YOU are.

The Pixie and Mepps Aglia #5''s have the weight to get down to where you need to. If you have to go too far down the river from montana watch out for the debris. Some nice snags the further down ya get!

king on Anchor w. planer, hotshot.jpgI'm a flyfisher, however, occasionally I like to try new things. I LOVE to take my saltwater king rod with my pink side planer and river fish the kings with a hotshot. It has done 'reel' well for me and quite often outfishes everyone around. The great thing about it is you can slide it out right behind that great holding water (maybe behind structure of some kind) and let it sit there till the unlikely suspect pulls in. The hotshot can be directed anywhere in the river you like for as long as you like. Heck, put it in a (stout) rodholder if you want.
    Its a gas!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    king on Anchor w. planer, hotshot.jpgI'm a flyfisher, however, occasionally I like to try new things. I LOVE to take my saltwater king rod with my pink side planer and river fish the kings with a hotshot.
    I thought I was the only one crazy enough to use a planer board in the river. High novelty factor for sure, and it works!

Default Great post Planer boards sound the business

Hi Im coming back to fish the kenai pen again this year back end of July and I have been wondering about this method and how to rig it.they used to do something similar here in Scotland long ago with about 12 flies for sea trout and brown trout in the larger rivers.
    Graham

Default sideplaner fishing........

I fished the Kasilof Wednesday and landed one Steelhead with the sideplaner hotshot method. Missed 2 or 3 other strikes in about 4 hrs time. (I'll have to check my hook sharpness) There were about 10 other fisherman there and only 2 other fish landed by them, and that was prior to me getting there.
    Planers work great if the flow is correct. I'll try to take some pics and post some info with it soon. There was a learning curve and may be better ways than I have, but I think I have a pretty good system now.

Drifting with a small Corky and a piece of blood red yarn. Don't be sloppy, trim the yarn frequently. Use the least amount of weight possible. #2 splitters or rubbercores are fine. You don't need fancy. Keep it simple.

Default sideplaner setup...

Used with an 8' 6" Kenai King rod and Abu Garcia 6500 C3 reel spooled with 35 lb. Extra Tuff line. Line from reel has simple ball bearing swivel snap, then 7' of same Extra Tuff line to ball bearing 'swivel', then 18 to 24 inches of Extra Tuff to another snap swivel. That snap swivel attaches to "Hot Shot" plug. Favorite colors-Red, wh, & blu....Blu and chrome....orange and chrome. Some other plugs work, but Hot shots seem best in the current I usually fish in.
    The ball bearing at the 18 inch level keeps the planer off the fish when hooked as it only can slide down that far.
    8ft6 Kenai King rod w. 6500 C3 reel.jpg

rigging for sideplaner.jpg

Default More on sideplaner...

When there are few people around I will often fish it by just putting it out in the current and then walking around with it to place it where I want it to go, letting out line to work it farther across current or up and down stream. If you know of a good spot which the fish must move thru, I will often set it up there and just let the plug work itself. You can readily feel the plug vibrating if it is working correctly and will stop vibrating if it picks up debris. Giving your rod a pull now and then sends extra vibration to the plug and sometimes seems to work better than just letting it set. (Just like jigging or casting plugs.) When it is cold and rainy I have often set it up by sending it out then just sticking the rod handle in the truck mirror, rod holder, or other fixture and sat in the cab or on the tailgate waiting for the bite. The fish usually self hooks and if you have the rod in your hand I suggest you don't try to hook the fish until he has it good. hotshots and sideplaner pack.jpg

Anchor R. plug caught king.jpg

Default Re: single hook plug...

The picture above shows one plug with a single upturned hook. This was used when water was high and filled with so much debris that I couldn't keep the treble hooked plugs down long enough to fish due to them snagging all debris that passed them. Usually early in season b4 the rivers clear.

I like bobber and jig and #5 Vibrax spinners. In a combat line up most use corky & yarn or spin glo rigged with pencil lead or slinky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast