Thread: Artificial scents on lures (saltwater)

Default Artificial scents on lures (saltwater)

Saw the thread on butterfly jigs; someone mentioned sticky/smelly stuff on them; there are lots of flavors available on the market, what would be some that appeal to the saltwater fish? Herring probably an obvious choice, but since there are tons of others, what do you guys think?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Saw the thread on butterfly jigs; someone mentioned sticky/smelly stuff on them; there are lots of flavors available on the market, what would be some that appeal to the saltwater fish? Herring probably an obvious choice, but since there are tons of others, what do you guys think?
    Jim
    Why go artificial? I think it herring is your best bet. When the regs allow, the most deadly combination that I have ever found is chunk of herring tied on the bottom of K15 quickfish when trolling for salmon. I just wrap it with fishing line and dump fish oil on it. It works very well. I would bet that if you could figure out something similar with your jig and it would be kill them too.

Smelly Jelly, I would go with herring or sardine scent to start with.

http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0000261.shtml

I agree with Drifter, Smelly Jelly would be my first choice because it would stay on the lure the longest. The shrimp scent is good too. My next choice would be Pauzke Krill paste. However, I don't think you can beat a small fillet of herring on the hook.

Default Herring

So....for herring... do you just take a chunk of it and and take some magic thread and wrap it around a kwikfish? I live on Lake Michigan and am looking to expand my lure selection. And how do you fish it? Off riggers, divers, leadcore?

Quote Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
    So....for herring... do you just take a chunk of it and and take some magic thread and wrap it around a kwikfish? I live on Lake Michigan and am looking to expand my lure selection. And how do you fish it? Off riggers, divers, leadcore?
    You basically have it. A friend of mine prefers to put them in a really fine mesh type of stuff and then tie them on as he says when the fish strike it that it stays on better. I kinda figure if it getting to the point that it is falling off, it is time for a new piece anyway. I always troll with downriggers.

T.R., I was thinking along the lines of using a butterfly jig. I agree whole heartedly on the herring. Just thought it'd be good to have an additional "ace card" when jigging just in case the fish are in a so-so mood; figured the scent might trigger a bite better if they're finicky.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    T.R., I was thinking along the lines of using a butterfly jig. I agree whole heartedly on the herring. Just thought it'd be good to have an additional "ace card" when jigging just in case the fish are in a so-so mood; figured the scent might trigger a bite better if they're finicky.
    Jim
    I agree completely. Personally, I think the best thing to do is have 4-5 people bait fish on my boat and when the fish start biting, now is the time to throw a jig over the side. Normally, I catch a quick limit and facilitate to their long list of needs. Oh well, they are family.....

If you are running a single hook on the jig, you can run the jig on say a 18" leader, and where you tie the leader to the main line run a 10/0 hook with a small gulp herring minnow. The gulp provides both scent and action, and I've had times where the rockfish nail the gulp minnow before I even start jigging.

Same principal but a hoochie instead of the gulp minnow.

I have had pretty good success using Smelly Jelly for salmon. I don't need to check my bait/lure as often. This is very useful when I am trolling by myself or with my kids. I have a couple lures, like Dave's Super Bait, that open up and have a sponge inside. Or I just smear the paste on a Pro Troll E-Lure. I have even spread some on the flasher. Smelly Jelly paste is very, very persistent and will remain on your lure for a long time. I also use some of those gels, like Lunker Lotion, for halibut. It seems to get a nice scent trail started. I will fill the cavity of a herring add a little octopus or some Pro Cured salmon skins then send it down. I keep 1/2 dozen different scents on board. I am never without anchovy flavored paste.

Rule #9

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_1...n_fishing.html

Default http://halibut.net

I have used many different scents for all my fishing where legal....the Krill paste , John Beath's concoctions at http://halibut.net and the Power Baits are hands down my best producers....with that being said, I also keep a big bottle of all purpose herring oil around...

Default Herring Oil

Does herring oil spoil one season too the next? To put a point on my question, is the oil left over from season to season (if not refrigerated) still of good quality or not? THX.

Good question pontiac. Most of what I have read re: bait is "the smellier the better". So if it does go bad, is that better ? Anyone have an answer?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i have a gallon jug of herring oil that i didnt get to use all last summer that is still good. keep it in a cool area and it will be fine. also look at the pet shops for fish oils. not the major commercial brands with the fancy labels. they might have something in the back with a plain black and white label that is half the price. i get mine at ak mill and feed.

with the butterfly jigs and scent a small piece of sponge soaked in herring oil on the hook would work great. small enough to not interfere with action but give of lots of scent. the open cell backer rod works great over a treble and would fit nicely on a bait hook as well.

Herring Oil
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK