Thread: multi-species winter K-Bay trip

Default multi-species winter K-Bay trip

It was supposed to be just a winter king trip with maybe a side of chicken halibut.

However, things turned out a little different. First, after a slow couple hours, a troll line we’d pulled from the downrigger and let drift up before reeling it in got hit. I set the hook and then – something ran without stopping. I applied my thumb only to burn it, then tightened the drag a bit, but the run continued. Captain Rich began to turn the boat as I yelled that half the line was gone (in about 30 seconds), but by the time he did, the reel spool was showing and there was only 4 or 5 wraps of line left. I had to tighten the drag all the way to prevent 300 yards of line breaking at the spool. It broke near the fish, which Rich concluded could only have been a salmon shark. I’ll accept this much more readily than it being a world-record king salmon.

Shortly after, I had what appeared to be a rockfish bite on one of the troll rods – tap-tap….tap…tap…pause…tap-tap. I pulled the rod saying, “Looks like a rockfish,” set the hook, then began reeling in what felt like a decent rockfish. After a few seconds it began to fight a little better, then even took a smidgen of drag. Hey, I thought, something decent. All of a sudden it burned off some drag and moved left, then right, taking more line – king salmon! After several more good runs, I figured it was no ordinary-sized winter king, but then the line went slack. Apparently those “tap-taps” were the fish swallowing the bait, as the line was cut cleanly as if by teeth. Sigh. Two points for the fish, none for us. A small black rockfish followed by a greenling (both released) and we decided to head offshore for some chickens.

Anchored up I began getting hits on the jig immediately. First to the boat - one of the smallest halibut ever hooked, maybe 15” long. Then another. Then a sole I couldn’t identify (small, upturned snout), then a bucket-mouthed great sculpin, then a couple of P. cod, followed by more sole and tiny halibut. Finally, an Irish lord followed by a keeper 15-lb. halibut.

All told, seven species landed and two lost to fight another day. Another fun-filled multi-species winter trip in Kachemak Bay.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Peters Creek, Alaska, United States, United States

sounds like a good time

That sounds awesome. That beats, by a wide margin, any day I've had in months.