Thread: Hydrofoils

Default Hydrofoils

I've got a 16' Klamath with a 30 hp Johnson on the back and i'm thinking to mount a hydrofoil on it.Looking for some opinions on them.The logic behind them makes sense but I don't know anyone that runs with one.They claim to save 10-40% on fuel and if that's the case the $50-70$ to buy one would pay off very quickly.

I had one on my 18 foot Klamath with a 70 horse 'rude. I am not sure if it made a difference in the economy+/-, but it sure made a difference in stability, the planing speed, and the attitude of the bow. It also seemed to bring the ass end out of the water a bit more. I am considering a pair of these on my current setup:
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Eagle River, AK

Default Recomend them

'Put one on my old 18' Klamath w/ a 40hp Evinrude; big difference in coming up on step faster. Didn't notice any better fuel economy, but like Spoiled One said- better handling, stayed on plane at lower speeds, and there was way less trimming necessary to set the bow just right.
    Loved it so much I put one on my 22' Searunner w/ Yamaha 115hp when I got it. Same results-- easier trimming ( ideal point tends to stay at same trim regardless of speed with one of these; without it ideal trim point would vary a bit at different speeds. ) With the bigger boat & motor I love that it stays on step at lower rpms than it did before I put one on.
    They're pretty much standard for me now.

Default Beware

I had an 18' Klamath with a 40 Johnson. I installed a StingRay Hydrofoil that I later took back off. It was pretty good in the ocean as it made the boat stay on plane at low speeds which was nice when it got rough. This was a dual pupose boat however and the hydrofoil made it dangerous in the rivers. You could not trim the boat properly. If the motor was down to much it would stuff the bow into the current which would cause the boat to drastically veer to one side or the other like it was going to tip over. I can't speak for other hydrofoils, but this particular one runs parallel with the cavitation plate and then curves down towards the back, thus raising the stern and stuffing the bow. If you try and trim the motor up to avoid stuffing the bow, the rest of the fin starts to operating like a jet planer. Some of the other hydrofoils may be better, but I was not happy with this one for this application, and regretted drilling my cavitation plate.