Thread: 03 M-cat starting issues

Default 03 M-cat starting issues

Hey Folks! I have a 2003 M-cat 800 151 EFI. It starts when it wants to. I have had it in to my mechanic, whom I trust, and he could not figure out why it would not start. He thought that the ECM was bad so he got one from Arctic cat, plugged it in, and it still would not start. He called a buddy at the delaership who came over to help and they could not find anything wrong. All the sudden it started. I rode it for a few weekends and then it would not start. I had it inside so it was warm. I put new plugs in and it was sputter but not run. I unplugged the ignition switch and it started so I figured the switch was going bad. I put a new switch in and it won't start with or without the switch. I am fed up with it. Anybody have any ideas.

Have you checked the thorottle safety switch? That may also be causing the intermittent spark loss/sputtering.

Related problem???

I was out this last week with a buddy. Identical 2 year old Crossfire 700 EFI, SnoPros. Always stored indoors with meticulous care. Dropped to around zero one night. The next morning my machine started after 3-4 pulls. My buddies would not start. Tried everything we could think of, then I held the throttle wide open, one pull and it started right up. Had to repeat this off and on over the next few days. sometimes it would start, other times it required holding the throttle open

Have you tried this???
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default no luck

I have tried holding the throttle wide open. Mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the throttle safety switch.

I am still under the assumption that this is a spark issue. Does it have any spark at all when it won't light up?

Have you tried disabling the emergency kill switch too? Work your way down to just the ignition circuit.

Both plug wires in good condition? Loose or corroded boots/wire ends?

I did have to go full thorotle on my 2003 f7 at times when cold. And my 2006 crossfire 700 needs some flipper when the engine is hot.

Default It is beautiful out and I am still not riding...

There is a bright spark, plugs are new and are wet after trying to start it. The kill switch seems to be working as there is spark when it is disengaged and no spark when engaged. I could not find any issues with the wires. I talked with my mechanic again and he told me to take it Arctic Cat as they just had the same model and year sled in there with the same issue. I guess they ended up replacing the fuel pump. He was still lost as he said my pump was fine when I had it in his shop. I will let you all know what the problem was.

Quote Originally Posted by akrider View Post
    There is a bright spark, plugs are new and are wet after trying to start it.
    If there is spark, most likely it is not an electrical problem. I would think a bad kill switch would equal no spark. That leaves a fuel problem as the cause, or more accurately a fuel delivery problem. It could be a simple plug in the gas line. You might consider pulling the black rubber tube leading from the carb/fuel pump to the fuel tank and blowing into the gas tank. If it is clear, it most likely is not a plug. Check if you have a plugged fuel filter. Since it is indoors, ice is not an issue. Oh, speaking of ice, did you use any HEET??? If so, Red or Yellow? With your EFI you should never use yellow. Last, and most likely it is a bad fuel pump. In the old days you would remove the air filter and spray in a little Carb Cleaner into the carb bowl and fire her up...it would run as long as the spray lasted, but would die when it ran out if the fuel pump was bad...I don't know if there is a way of doing something like that on an EFI machine...I would ask a mechanic first.

Let us know if you get this figured out.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default problem solved!

I took the cat into Arctic Cat today. They ended up replacing the fuel pump and made some adjustments to the secondary (LEFT HANDED) throttle. I was told by the mechanic that the fuel lines on the sleds with clear tanks rot a bit faster so when the lines rot, the pump sucks the rotten pieces up and makes it go bad. He highly recommended that I put the cover back on the tank so it lasts longer than the old one.
    Thanks to all of you for the free advice. Too bad Arctic Cat wasn't as generous!

Default crap.....

So the cat has been sitting on the trailer since I picked it up last Monday. I worked hard all week. The only thing that kept me motivated was riding tomorrow. Went to get things ready tonight to include making sure my sled started. About 100 pulls later, no luck. I am so upset that I don't have words that describe it. Back to Arctic cat on Monday. I might just end up at Yamaha for a new Nytro MTX.

If you have spark, take off your fuel line feeding the Manifold and Clamp it off. Take out your plugs and Completly dry out your cylinders. I'll tell you this only with extreme caution and if you do this outside with the plugs off, you can use a flame by the spark plug threads and roll the engine to burn out all the gas. Once you feel that it completly dry put a few drops of mix gas in the cylinders then replace your plugs. Key on, Emergency stop in the run position try and start the engine. If it starts than it is a problem with the timing on fuel valve. Replace the fuel line and pull once and have someone smash the throttle and pull one or two times. If it does not start , wait 15 min and repeat. The engine should always start within 3 or 4 pulls. If not they tend to flood out andfill the engine with fuel, making for a too rich piston chamber.

These engines do not like it when too much get in them.